Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: How do you manage morning cortisol levels?  (Read 3968 times)

wuzzie

How do you manage morning cortisol levels?
« on: August 10, 2019, 09:20:29 AM »

I'm interested to hear about ideas or things you have tried to reduce morning cortisol levels.  I tend to wake anywhere between 4 - 6 a.m.
The earlier I wake the worse the anxiety seems to be.  I have tried getting up, visualisation, deep breathing...etc.  Nothing but nothing seems to shift it.

What has worked/not worked for you?

Dotty

Re: How do you manage morning cortisol levels?
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2019, 09:45:49 AM »

Hi it could be low oestrogen that's causing this x

wuzzie

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2019, 10:30:07 AM »

I'm hoping that's what it is.  I'm on Estrogel two pumps and have just increased to three.  Will see what happens!

wuzzie

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2019, 10:55:15 AM »

Thanks Birdy, will definitely give some of those a go!

Sparrow

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2019, 11:25:58 AM »

I found that fighting the feeling just made it worse.  So I deicide to try the opposite and at the start of a surge I would give into it and let it flow and at the same time relaxing as much as I could.  It didn't stop it but certainly reduces the severity and length.

In addition I would have a set routine of things to do, as soon as I woke up.  Making tea etc.  By the time I had finished I would feel calmer.  This put me back into control and I think that's a good part of the battle.

Tc

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2019, 11:45:18 AM »

I've believe I've got high cortisol from prolonged stress. .I'm wondering about a couple of other things and if they are connected.

I've had a few episodes of feeling  faint,weak and  shaking badly and the other ladies on here said it might be blood sugar. Can high cortisol also affect blood sugar?

Also, my last cholestral test had gone up. It's higher than the normal range but not yet high enough for treatment. I wonder if high cortisol could lead to that too.

Btw. When I looked up cortisol and  eastrogen and it said high eastrogen increases cortisol it also said it lowers progesterone !!!

wuzzie

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2019, 11:52:47 AM »

I think from what I've read high cortisol can cause problems with blood sugar.  It does sound as if it could be low blood sugar.  Carry a few nuts and a banana around? 

Yes, I've read somewhere that Estrogen can increase cortisol.  I have already decided to increase my dose from two pumps to three to see if that sorts the problem and if not, I will then decrease it to one pump to see if reducing slightly helps.  It's all so B complicated and everything takes SO long!!!

wuzzie

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2019, 11:54:11 AM »

Birdy, I've looked up adrenal cocktails.  What a revelation.  I have already swallowed a Vitamin C and have some Himalayan salt in the cupboard so will take that too! Thank you for a great suggestion.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2019, 12:09:51 PM »

Salt however, is salt .............. it isn't green to import salt from abroad.  We grow lots in the UK ;-)

Tc

« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2019, 12:11:26 PM »

Thanks wuzzie.

I hope the cocktail helps you. Do you take magnesium?

When I get the rushes I find it like an initial whoosh and a rolling feeling , tummy turns over and over ti the point of pain. I often grab a pillow and hug it to my tummy and roll onto my side and rock myself till it has passed. Not much help realy.  I havent tried Shady's suggestion, it's a better idea than mine. The thing is it tends to "paralyse" me  somewhat, dont know about you.

One thing I do know about deep breathing is you have to practice it regularly when you are not in the middle of a highly anxious state in order for it to work when you are  I'm realy bad at keeping that practice up but ive been told it time and time again by therapists and at a course I attended for panic attacks.  Practice when you are relatively  calm. When I have  kept up the practice it has worked better when I've realy needed it 

Xxx

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2019, 12:12:28 PM »

Oh remembering to practice  ::) - when I felt well I never gave deep breathing etc. a thought!

wuzzie

« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2019, 12:33:51 PM »

Thanks Tc.  Not taking Magnesium.  I know there are different types.  Which one is good for anxiety? 

Yes, CLKD I know.  Usually buy the Maldon salt but just happened to have some Himalayan in the cupboard and it will be a good way to use it up!!

Tc

« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2019, 12:55:26 PM »

Sorry Wuz. I dont know anything about magnesium supplements. I would think birdy does.

I know  magnesium can affect cortisol. .not sure quite how it works though.

I had a magnesium test about 6 months ago as I am on omprazole  for a long time which can  lower it.  I was told mine was within range so I'm  a bit wary of  taking extra.  Birdy. How much magnesium is o.k to take? 
I might start it as I think it's supposed to help with migraine which I've been suffering from badly over the last couple months.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2019, 12:59:01 PM by Tc »

Tc

« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2019, 01:39:03 PM »

Thanks birdy.
I've just been looking at the cocktail and  found another adrenal support smoothie recipe which contains  maca. Have you heard anything about maca?
It also has ginseng  which I cant take. Years ago a friend at the gym  gave me some but it made my heart race and very jittery.

I checked out the recommended magnesium supplement and it said 320mg per day  for women over 51 (wonder where they got that number from, couldnt be the "average" age of meno could it?? :)

Xxx

CLKD

« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2019, 02:06:51 PM »

Lo Salt isn't salt ......... not much point, might as well not add it ;-)

It isn't green to import from the Himalya what ever it's made of.  You didn't mention Anglesey Salt ;-)
Pages: [1] 2