Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Estriol - yuk!  (Read 1845 times)

Wrennie

Estriol - yuk!
« on: July 19, 2019, 04:47:02 PM »

Am I the only one who finds that the gloopy white nature of Vaginal Estriol makes one feel totally sexually unattractive? I really hate it! I am sticking with it (literally  >:() for now as my GP insisted it was the best thing to start with for VA and my main concern just now is not bleeding with it as I did last time I tried it. As a result last time I ended going down the hysteroscopy route and consequently chickened out of using anything at all for a year.
I am sure that if I was more uncomfortable with VA as I know some women are, I wouldn't feel so anti the stuff as it is probably quite soothing. But I am really hoping that, if I don't bleed this time, I can go onto something else when I review the situation with my GP in a few weeks time.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Estriol - yuk!
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2019, 04:51:17 PM »

Stick with it!   ;).  How is it delivered?  My 'ovestin' is put into the vagina via an applicator and there is no mess.  After my evening bath I dry well, lay in bed and hey presto!  Job done.

4 me it was like razor blades up there ........ so any mess would not be bothersome.  Out of sight etc..

Wrennie

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2019, 05:02:00 PM »

Hi CLKD. Is your Ovestin a pessary? This is the cream, put in with an applicator, and it leaks out slowly all next day so I seem to have it constantly plastered all over me down there. I keep changing underwear/ panty liners (try to avoid the latter as they make me sore) but the bloomin' stuff just comes back!

CLKD

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2019, 05:03:29 PM »

It is a cream delivered at a specific amount via a plastic applicator, bit like an injection: drawn up then inserted into the vagina.  Sleep.  Not sticky and once the 2 week loading period, it's a couple of nights a week.  Better 4 me than the VA.

Wrennie

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2019, 05:16:55 PM »

Thank you for explaining CLKD. It sounds much the same as the Estriol then. But maybe less sticky. Or maybe just me having a problem with it.  :-\ It might be better when I am down to twice a week although a full applicator still seems an awful lot. Maybe the Ovestin is applied in smaller quantities. I am glad it is helping you anyway. When I go back to the GP I'll ask her about alternatives.

Katejo

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2019, 05:26:57 PM »

Thank you for explaining CLKD. It sounds much the same as the Estriol then. But maybe less sticky. Or maybe just me having a problem with it.  :-\ It might be better when I am down to twice a week although a full applicator still seems an awful lot. Maybe the Ovestin is applied in smaller quantities. I am glad it is helping you anyway. When I go back to the GP I'll ask her about alternatives.
Have you tried Vagifem Wrennie? I started with Estriol but found it messy and it irritated me badly.Felt as though I had a uti.

Wrennie

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2019, 05:31:23 PM »

Hi Katejo, no I have not been able to try Vagifem yet as my GP wants me to use the Estriol to start. But I am glad I am not the only one to find it messy. Yes I don't feel right with it either. I got a dragging discomfort in my lower abdomen (although that has eased off a bit in the last few days) and feel heavy, as if my vagina is going to fall out, when I stand up after sitting for a bit. I am hoping that it is just the Estriol doing its stuff and that this will settle down. So is Vagifem a pessary? Or just a smaller amount of cream? Either way it may be better for me.

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2019, 06:37:20 PM »

It might be worth asking your GP if it's a cost issue ;-)

Tc

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2019, 06:54:02 PM »

Hiya wrennie. Vagifem is a pessary.and its estradiol rather than estriol.

I think the dose delivers roughly the same amount of eastrogen as with the creams.

I have used estriol 0.01 and ovestin. Ovestin is 10 times stronger but  the dose drawn up into the applicator is 10 times smaller. Much less cream is needed to deliver the same dose and I find it a lot less messy...

I had to explain to my doc when I wanted to swap as she saw it was 10 times stronger and freaked. When she realised that less cream is used so the dose isnt any different she agreed to the switch.
Btw. Ovestin is cheaper than estriol 0.01. Not sure how it fares against vagifem. In terms of cost.

Good luck. Xx

Wrennie

« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2019, 12:42:34 PM »

Thanks for these responses; you are so very helpful. Yes, I shall ask whether it's a cost issue. But the info on Vagifem and Ovestin is invaluable. I shall research both of them a little more and make my next visit armed with the information. I would have thought that one of these would be much more acceptable.
Thank you again  :)

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2019, 12:46:06 PM »

Read our threads on bladder issues and vaginal atrophy  ;) - let us know how you get on.

Wrennie

« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2019, 02:13:38 PM »

Will do.  :thankyou:

CLKD

« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2019, 03:35:14 PM »

Make notes  ;D  ;)

Wrennie

« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2019, 05:08:08 PM »