Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Author Topic: Estriol Vaginal Cream side effect?  (Read 4807 times)

Pixiepat

Estriol Vaginal Cream side effect?
« on: July 18, 2019, 07:41:07 PM »

Hi everyone.... I am so happy to have found this forum as I am really struggling with a few menopause issues. My gynae recommended Premarin Vaginal Cream a while back which suited me fine until I found out that it was made from Mare's Urine. I then switched to Vagifem (1 x per week) which worked wonders for me (even took away my hot flashes) but after 4 weeks of use I got extremely sore boobs and landed up with mood swings/anxiety and a menstrual period from hell for 2 weeks solid. I stopped taking it immediately. So now....After a lot of research I found a vaginal cream called Synapause. It has a different tpe of estrogen in it called Estriol. I have read that it is a weaker and safer form of estrogen. Anyway,  I used it for the first time last night but the problem is, I have had a mild burning sensation for the whole day today. Does anyone know if this is normal and whether it will subside after continued use.
I look forward to hearing your comments and/or advice. Many thanks and Kind regards. P ::)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Estriol Vaginal Cream side effect?
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2019, 07:50:23 PM »

I doubt if 1 dose of 'vagifem' would cause those symptoms.  The lady is supposed to use the product nightly for 2 weeks then every 4th and every 5/6th night.  Some ladies require 'vagifem' nightly as it is such a small amount.

Maybe put the product name into the search box on here and make notes.   :welcomemm:

A few weeks ago I used 'ovestin' for vaginal atrophy after a break of several weeks without symptoms and had intense breast pain which went eventually.  Do read the threads on VA!

Some people are sensitive to the fillers or packaging of medications so it may not be the active ingredient per se. 

jaycee

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2019, 08:19:15 AM »

I do wonder about Vagifem, i know people are saying it is such a small amount it wont cause any side effects,but i have read about  quite a few ladies who have had problems when they  are not on anything else,including breast pain
Also having hair loss as i am, and on the Vagifem website it does say can cause hair loss
I have only had this amount of hair loss since being given Vagifem,
If anything can be absorbed through the skin why not this   

CLKD

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2019, 08:29:59 AM »

It does make me wonder a bit.  Women can have hair thinning as they age so it is probably hormone related.  More research required?

jaycee

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2019, 08:41:24 AM »

CKLD i did expect some thinning, and my hair had thinned a bit as i always had thick hair when younger, but not to this extent, i developed actual bald patches which shocked me to the point of almost having a panic attack, it got worse over the last 9 months approx,
I am going to see what my Dr says when i see him next and  i might just stop the vagifem,
I am using a steroid lotion he has given me and my hair does seem to be coming back a bit
I was also given livial but having used this in the past i had no problems with my hair thinning at all at that time, now on Evoral Conti, but not keen, prefer the livial

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2019, 10:03:55 AM »

Maybe try 'ovestin' instead?  Don't go without  :o

Joaniepat

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2019, 10:51:35 AM »

Just thought I would put out a reminder regarding the side effects of local oestrogen, which has appeared here several times before.

It should be borne in mind that the Patient Information Leaflet which comes with local oestrogen treatments is the same as the one with systemic HRT. Local oestrogen should have it's own leaflet, which currently it does not. Local and systemic oestrogen replacement are not the same thing. There should be no systemic absorption once the vaginal tissues have plumped up. The current recommendation from the British Menopause Society is that after the initial daily loading dose of 2-3 weeks, local oestrogen can safely be used every other day or up to 5 times a week. Note that the Estring vaginal delivery system releases a continual, tiny dose of estradiol.

You can keep up with all things pertaining to local oestrogen therapy on Jane Lewis's Vaginal Atrophy Facebook group.

JP x

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2019, 10:52:39 AM »

Tnx.   :thankyou: