Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Author Topic: Could I get my levels tested even on HRT?  (Read 787 times)

Wobbles

Could I get my levels tested even on HRT?
« on: July 17, 2019, 07:02:24 PM »

Hello all,

Anyone got any info on this? I was just wondering as I didn't have my levels tested before I was given HRT (originally lowest dose of Elleste Duet in Oct 2018 then switched to Femoston1/10 in Feb/March this year). I'd like to know what my levels are.

Some of you may know that it's been a bit of roller coaster for me. In general, I felt worse on HRT I'm afraid. I had side affects starting within a week of taking it and run the whole gamut. Fortunately, after having two periods in May I've had nothing since, yay! I've had some night sweats recently, anxiety, bad acid reflux, heart palpitations and my food won't digest. I had none of this before starting HRT. I'm not sure whether to ask my GP for an increase in the estrogen bit or to just come off it. I don't think with my stomach issues I'm absorbing the tablet form very well though strangely, the stomach/digestion pain clears up when I get onto the white estrogen tablets.

Would testing my levels show anything up? If they're 'low' then surely that would mean it's not getting through?

What do you think?
Wx

Hurdity

Re: Could I get my levels tested even on HRT?
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2019, 09:59:41 PM »

Hi Wobbles

It is not recommended to do any sort of oestrogen testing while peri-menopausal and on HRT because levels vary both during the day and from day to day throughout the cycle - HRT does not suppress ovulation so your own hormones will still rise and fall to some extent in the background. Many docs never test oestrogen at all for this reason.

The best way to tell if it's working for you is through symptoms. As you say if you have stomach problems you may not be absorbing tablet HRT and if your night sweats and flushes are not controlled it implies levels are not high enough. In these situations transdermal oestrogen is recommended but options are quite limited at the moment (seemingly) in some areas due to supply issues.

There is Evorel sequi, or a better option would be separate oestrogen patches ( or gel) with progesterone - as Provera tablet, Utrogestan capsule ( usually orally but sometimes vaginally), or Mirena coil.

All the different HRT types are listed under "Treatments" on the menu.

Hope this helps and good luck :)

Hurdity x

Wobbles

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2019, 02:10:22 PM »

Thanks for the info Hurdity.

I did wonder how my body was processing HRT and if it was absorbing properly. I've noticed that since my gallbladder removal two years ago that some meds go 'straight through' as it were, I can't eat the same as I used to pre-op and whether the GPs recent prescription of omeprazole and lanzoprosole was making this worse. On the whole, I've had different symptoms every month and generally felt worse on tablet form of HRT. I think I'll have a chat with my GP and see what they can offer at my review at the end of August. It'll be nearly a year that I've been on HRT so it's had plenty of time to get into my system.

Countrygirl

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2019, 04:09:37 PM »

Wobbles hope you don't mind me asking, but did you find your whole system went a bit bonkers after your gallbladder removal. I had mine removed a year ago and then went into perimenopause and it's been a battle since with different symptoms. I've had to see a dietitian too as can't gain weight or muscle and tummy got worse x

Wobbles

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2019, 09:06:31 AM »

Looking back yes it probably did. It was great being able to eat fat without ending up in A&E but then I noticed I couldn't eat eggs, smoked meats and fish and had real trouble digesting fibre so pretty well had to give up fruit, spices and high fat foods. Strangely, paracetamol used to make me dizzy but after the op I could take it again but it didn't have an effect on pain. I think some things just didn't digest. Omeprazole and any other stomach acid reducers made me very ill after two weeks of taking them. I'm convinced that HRT is not getting through properly. There's defo a connection with having no gallbladder and food/meds/HRT absorption.

I can't lose weight without starving myself  :'(

I also can't seem to do any exercise for any length of time without having bad muscle soreness immediately afterwards although yoga helps.
What did your dietician suggest? Interested to know.
Wx

Countrygirl

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2019, 02:00:11 PM »

I don't have the energy or muscle to exercise much anymore, I have been put on a high protein diet and told to add good things from the FODMAP diet, but need to add more carbs for energy, but I find it's almost like I can't process the carbs anymore. I was always eating sweets, but since my gallbladder loss if I eat anything sugary I literally get more anxious and I either sweat or shiver.

Like you I can't have any fibre, oil  and I was put on the mirena and oestrogen patches so it doesn't have to go through my tummy and I'm perimenopausal, but this all kicked off a couple of months after the op x

Wobbles

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2019, 04:22:59 PM »

That's really interesting about your diet being so similar post-op. Especially the effect of sugar as that is a glycaemic reaction. I'm always concerned about the risk of Type 2 (or the many other types of diabetes) for women. It's so difficult trying to lose or gain weight with our rubbish/weak muscles during peri. I'm currently experience fluttery heart symptoms and it's a real pain.

How do you get on with the coil and patches? Does it help with symptoms at all?