Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Lyme disease  (Read 6323 times)

jaypo

Re: Lyme disease
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2019, 08:30:01 PM »

Yeah but by the time the suck you dry they're like big fat kidney beans 🤮

Hurdity

« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2019, 09:53:19 PM »

Hey Tc - sorry for any misunderstanding - have sent you pm. In haste and wishing you well....

Hurdity x

racjen

« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2019, 10:02:10 PM »

First one I had was on my nipple.... :o!

Tc

« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2019, 11:15:10 PM »

Hurdity. It's fine. . I think it's a misunderstanding too.  . No need to apologise. But thank you for the PM.  We are cool and I know you wish the best for me. Xxxxx
« Last Edit: July 18, 2019, 12:10:16 AM by Tc »

jaypo

« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2019, 07:33:36 AM »

First one I had was on my nipple.... :o!
😳😳😳😳😳😳😳😳😳😳😳😳😳🤣😂

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2019, 07:53:55 AM »

:o. how ?

I would wait until the critter had filled up B4 attempting to remove if from the dog's body.  The legs would be wriggling against her skin  :o  8)

Machair

« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2019, 10:36:45 AM »

I have a house on North Uist. Lyme disease is a very serious risk there- from 2012 to 2106 there were 165 cases of Lyme diagnosed in Benbecula North and South Uist alone and numbers are increasing.
This is catastrophic for a small island community where many have several jobs to survive financially.

Pets are at serious risk there too though there is a vaccine now for dogs.

We have to take very great precautions now-
Wear light coloured clothing - easier to spot them.Shorts are no longer advised even in a heat wave.
Check thoroughly after being outside all over your body by showering and keep checking as the tiny ones are pin **** size. Look everywhere and also check any kit such as backpacks.
Tumble dry clothing after wear for 10 minutes and get changed after being outside
Wear socks over trousers or tick bands
Keep out of long grass, and avoid certain areas between May and June as these are the most dangerous months.Houses are on croft land so gardens are risky places - you don't need to hike into the wilderness to be bitten.

Get a credit card sized tick removal card and carry it.
Watch for any signs of flu like illness after tick bite and seek help even without a rash.

There is so much more I could tell you about cases and sadness associated with infections but suffice to say it is real and very concerning. Most folk don't die but their quality of life is severely affected and it can be a life limiting disease.

CLKD

« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2019, 11:50:07 AM »

Put clothing into the freezer?  Step out of clothes, lift lid and put inside in bags?

jaypo

« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2019, 11:50:30 AM »

My sister used to stay in benbecula!!! Years ago now but wow,small world.
Sorry ladies.wont change the subject

CLKD

« Reply #24 on: July 18, 2019, 11:50:58 AM »

Did she get bitten? 

jaypo

« Reply #25 on: July 18, 2019, 11:51:41 AM »

Not that I know of

racjen

« Reply #26 on: July 18, 2019, 03:07:21 PM »

Seems to be one of those weird things where they like some people's blood more than others - my younger daughter and I have had countless ticks, and nits when we were still going thru primary schooling, but the older one rarely if ever has a problem. Strange - there must be some difference in blood chemistry that attracts them.

Kathleen

« Reply #27 on: July 18, 2019, 04:04:05 PM »

Hello again ladies.

It seems that some people are more attractive to insects though I can't remember where I read that or indeed why it occurs. Pheromones maybe or blood group? I am never bitten but my husband is so he  uses lemon juice on his skin when he is working in the garden and it's very effective.

Take care everyone.

K.

bear

« Reply #28 on: July 18, 2019, 05:07:03 PM »

Hello again ladies.

It seems that some people are more attractive to insects though I can't remember where I read that or indeed why it occurs. Pheromones maybe or blood group? I am never bitten but my husband is so he  uses lemon juice on his skin when he is working in the garden and it's very effective.

Take care everyone.

K.

Hello Kathleen,

Citrus juice can be dangerous to the skin when outdoors, due to a process called Phytophotodermatitis. https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/319001.php

I have a house on North Uist. Lyme disease is a very serious risk there- from 2012 to 2106 there were 165 cases of Lyme diagnosed in Benbecula North and South Uist alone and numbers are increasing.
This is catastrophic for a small island community where many have several jobs to survive financially.

Pets are at serious risk there too though there is a vaccine now for dogs.

We have to take very great precautions now-
Wear light coloured clothing - easier to spot them.Shorts are no longer advised even in a heat wave.
Check thoroughly after being outside all over your body by showering and keep checking as the tiny ones are pin **** size. Look everywhere and also check any kit such as backpacks.
Tumble dry clothing after wear for 10 minutes and get changed after being outside
Wear socks over trousers or tick bands
Keep out of long grass, and avoid certain areas between May and June as these are the most dangerous months.Houses are on croft land so gardens are risky places - you don't need to hike into the wilderness to be bitten.

Get a credit card sized tick removal card and carry it.
Watch for any signs of flu like illness after tick bite and seek help even without a rash.

There is so much more I could tell you about cases and sadness associated with infections but suffice to say it is real and very concerning. Most folk don't die but their quality of life is severely affected and it can be a life limiting disease.

Excellent advice, Machair. Thank you.

CLKD

« Reply #29 on: July 18, 2019, 05:09:05 PM »

I read similar in the Telegraph I think in the article about mosquitos.  Something to do with what's in our breath.

Covering up is important whilst gardening ;-).  Citronella doesn't work on our patio, we sit out in the Summer and burn candles - the insects flock to them  :D
Pages: 1 [2] 3