Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Okay- i’m At a dead end help!  (Read 1914 times)

Sgtvhilts

Okay- i’m At a dead end help!
« on: July 16, 2019, 08:04:06 PM »

Hi all,
Some of you may know I have been ‘tinkering' with my HRT for a while. Got a great thing going with 1 mg of Femeston sequi and a 100mcg patch- no symptoms yay......if it sounds to good to be true....well it was, my GP agreed to that combo, but with a 75mcg patch. Okay, BUT she thought she'd just check with the meno clinic if it was okay"....
Oh I wish she hadn't 🤯🤯👹They don't like it at all grrrr. They are not bothered so much about the high Oestrogen, but say that the progesterone dose is too low to counteract.  So they suggested wait for it. Patches with 🤢🤮utrogestan 🤢🤮. Yes, tried that it was awful, head melt and nausea.
Sooo where do I go from here. Norethesterone makes me sick, if fact it is only dydrogestone that is okay. Ffs.
Also, even more annoyingly meno said that I am clearly NOT absorbing the Oestrogen effectively from oral !!!!! If that is the case then surely it doesn't matter then to swallow it for just the progesterone.
Long winded -sorry HELP

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Okay- i’m At a dead end help!
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2019, 09:07:19 PM »

I suggest that your GP refers you for a scan?

If this is helping you, try pointing out that quality of Life is important - each woman is surely different?  Maybe your GP could contact Nick Paney for advice?

Sgtvhilts

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2019, 09:18:44 PM »

Thanks- who is Nick Paney?
How do we contact him? NHS or cost?
Thanks

CLKD

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2019, 09:31:02 PM »

Dr Nick can be found by doing a search here - I think he's knowledgable but one may need to pay.  Might be worth following up to see what's what, something to go back to your meno clinic with?

Hurdity

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2019, 07:34:46 AM »

Sorry to hear this Sgtvhilts. They are correct in saying this as the extra oestrogen patch on top of the Femoston is very much off licence - but as CLKD says only a womb scan will determine whether or not the progesogen in the Femoston is sufficient. As you say you may not be absorbing much of it - in which case your lining may not have built up?

Can you ask to be referred yourself to the menopause clinic so that maybe they can let you have this combination under supervision and give you a scan to check?

What makes you say you are not absorbing it - the oestrogen?

You could have a consultation with Dr Currie for £30 maybe? Or Women's Health Concern - but they are unlikely to recommend anything beyond licensed treatment without your being their patient I wouldn't think?

Hurdity x

Perinowpost

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2019, 09:45:01 AM »

I sympathise Sgtvhilts

I'm trialling the same combo you might remember. I'm on 50 patches but have been told to drop down to a 25 patch whilst on the grey (progesterone) tablets to balance things out. I would like to take more oestrogen but I suppose it's got to be safe too x

Sgtvhilts

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2019, 11:20:56 AM »

Hi all
Thanks
Hurdity- it is the meno clinic who have said that as I am still having flushes on Femeston then I can't be absorbing,  I have no idea how they have come to that conclusion, never met me, no blood, scan etc- I think they are just making it up!!
Terrible heat last night with 50mcg patch(eking them out) and Femeston. Peeing +++ too.
So clearly when I take a hefty chunk of Oestrogen it goes mmm funny that.
It is the progesterone that they are all ‘freaked' about.
As for uterus lining- I have really good bleeds, dead on time, and like period I had in my 20's, so there is obviously a fair bit there to come away
Art I despair- but I do now know that all my symptoms are Oestrogen related so I will certainly do battle.

Mary G

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2019, 11:55:30 AM »

You could offer to take full responsibility for the regime yourself.  That's exactly what I did when I was on Angeliq but not getting enough oestrogen, I just put on a 50mcg patch to top it up.  I had regular scans and they were all good.

If you have an HRT regime that works it's madness to change it - it's difficult enough to get it right as many of us know.  What these medics should be doing is getting busy with the ultrasound scanner to check your womb lining and then do a blood test to check how much oestrogen you are absorbing.   That is the only meaningful form of supervision there is, just talking to you from the other side of a desk is useless.   They know you are happy on that regime so they should be supporting you.

I know what I would do but of course you are the only person who should make that decision.

I hope that helps.

Sgtvhilts

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2019, 02:46:34 PM »

Thanks Mary G.
Yep, I am very much a ‘risk' taker LOL makes it sound exciting......
I make all my decisions on cost v benefit also I think no good thinking about the risk in 10 yrs time ‘I need to live now'.
So I will certainly push this one as the regime certainly works and responsibility will defo sit on my shoulders.
I will try and get a Referral, but also my GP about ‘off license'
But anyone know if there any progesterone friendly regimes

Sgtvhilts

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2019, 05:15:10 PM »

L

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2019, 06:44:31 PM »

Yeah = 'L'  ::)

How is a meno clinic advising if they haven't met you  :-\ "I have no idea how they have come to that conclusion, never met me, no blood, scan etc- I think they are just making it up!! "

That is surely not ethical .........

Tc

« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2019, 07:21:40 PM »

Hiya. I have had the same palaver.

My blood levels and poor symptom control have shown poor absorption from the start. But I've still had a helluva job convincing them I was progesterone heavy on continous utrogestan.and trying to get them to up my patches. Recently l with a different gynae I admitted I was using 200 patch. She looked horrified "it's a very high dose". And then she saw my blood results and was shocked they were so low. In my case, very high patch did not equal very high eastrogen levels. she then suggested I use utrogestan for 7 days at 200mg dose.
My gp wasnt happy.but .agreed, point ed out this was entirely on my own head.and aid I will need regular scans.

SG. I have an appointment at the panay clinic in October. I think I got referred cos they are all a bit stumped as to what to do with me, either that or sick of the sight  of me.!!!

Why dont you ask for a referral. I agree with the other ladies. How can anyone advise on your regime when they havent even seen you. A blood test might be useful to back up what you are saying.

Xxx

Sgtvhilts

« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2019, 09:44:49 PM »

Oh I know ckld- had the same nonsense with my gallbladder and I was right all along there........
I think, that because I suffer with anxiety (have done for 30 yrs) they think it is all in ‘my head' and that I just have ‘health anxiety' - which I don't- not one of my demons.......
The last blood test I had oestridol was 1197- that was on 2 mgs of Femeston, so I am either absorbing quite well or  still have quite a bit of my own, but either way what no one seems to get is that I was still getting symptoms until I upped the Oestrogen with a 100mcg patch.
Ffs- I despair
I am getting to the point that I will buy the patches myself when I go abroad later, or order them online!!