Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Prescription for Duavive  (Read 964 times)

Tina1957

Prescription for Duavive
« on: July 16, 2019, 02:39:59 PM »

Hi Ladies, it's been a while since I have posted on here as all the problems and issues I had resolved once I started taking Duavive 3 years ago and life became good again!
Duavive was prescribed by my Consultant, who saw me every 12 months and issued a repeat prescription every 6 months.
I last saw him in January and he explained that he was retiring, but was unaware who would be taking over from him. He advised me to call his Secretary (as I usually did) when I needed my repeat prescription and that his replacement would be appointed by then - he did however say if I experienced any problems after he had left to contact Nick Panay in London (I am in the East Midlands).
Well, I have rang the Secretary today only to be told it is over 6 months since I saw the Consultant and I will now have to go back to my GP to get referred again??  She said that there is no way I can get a repeat prescription issued without a new referral to see the new Consultant and when I said I paid privately for the Duavive prescription, she announced that the new Consultant would not issue a private prescription anyway!
Is anyone here able to obtain Duavive directly from their GP rather than a Consultant - not sure if things have changed over the last 3 years.
Feeling I've been left ‘high and dry'!!!!  xx

Perinowpost

Re: Prescription for Duavive
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2019, 03:37:18 PM »

I was offered it at a menopause clinic (didn't go for it though), but that would still involve a referral x

Ladybt28

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2019, 04:57:07 PM »

I shouldn't think there have been any changes - Duavive, if anything, should have become more mainstream in that time.  It was really new out when you got it the first time round.  My meno consultant mentioned it and then said as an after thought "oh I always keep forgetting about that one"!

GP's can prescribe Duavive  just like any form of hrt and if you have been having it for some time then your GP will have it on your record.  Its worth asking for a repeat at your GP.  If they won't then you could write to Dr Currie in an email here (there is a charge of £35 I think for advice) and she can write to your GP with her recommendations.  She is a highly respected meno consultant and if it takes ages to get to actually see the new person taking over, it would be worth a shot.

Hurdity

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2019, 07:25:36 PM »

As Ladybt says - it is a standard HRT and does not warrant a private prescription.

I note it has now been put on the menus here:
https://www.menopausematters.co.uk/postmeno.php

"f. Conjugated estrogens with bazedoxifene acetate.
Tissue Selective Estrogen Complex (TSEC). Bazedoxifene prevents estrogen stimulating the womb lining, but is not progestogen and not associated with progestogenic side effects. Indicated for women in whom progestogen containing therapy is not appropriate

DUAVIVE    0.45mg conjugated estrogens & 20mg bazedoxifene acetate    Â£45.00
."

Note the price though....

However I would just go back to your GP and ask for it - it is your right to be prescribed this licensed medication whether or not it is on theuir local formulary list. If you have experienced progesterone intolerance on other types of HRT, and you feel well on this one, then that is a good enough reason. You should not need a private prescrption for a regular licensed HRT type - ignorance by the doc is no excuse. If s/he ( the GP) has not heard of it - then direct him/her to this website and the entry I have linked to, and failing that defo follow Ladybt's advice and consult Dr C - but you should be able to get it without having to pay anything other than normal prescription cost!!

Good luck and let us know how you get on

Hurdity x

nissa11

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2019, 02:59:41 PM »

I would like to try this as I have always had a slight issue with the progesterone side of my HRT. Glad its working for you. Did you have any weight gain?
Like you I'm concerned my GP will advise against it because of the price. >:(

Tina1957

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2019, 04:02:10 PM »

Thank you ladies!!
Managed to get a telephone appointment with one of the GPs at my Practice.  After much discussion, he eventually confirmed it could be prescribed, but then went into say there may be a more suitable HRT (obviously he must have seen the price) - I then explained I was on Duavive due to severe allergic reactions to Progesterone.  He has now made me an appointment with my regular GP, who is aware of my past problems so fingers crossed she will be able to provide me with the prescription! x

Nissa11
I experienced no weight gain or any other side affects from Duavive - it has definitely given me my life back after horrendous persistent hot flushes!
Hope it works as well for you! X