Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Vitamin B12 Deficiency  (Read 2084 times)

Dorothy

Vitamin B12 Deficiency
« on: July 14, 2019, 12:09:10 PM »

I thought sharing my recent experience with my mother might be helpful.

For a few years, I was increasingly worried about Mum's memory.  She was forgetting more and more things, even really important things.  Eventually, it got to the stage where she would continuously repeat herself because she'd forgotten what she'd said 5 minutes before. 

She was finally diagnosed with Vitamin B12 deficiency.  Several injections later and her memory is back.  She now has the condition monitored so they can 'top her up' before she gets low enough to have problems.

I've come across a few people recently who have also been diagnosed with this after experiencing memory problems.  So I thought it was worth reminding people - if you're struggling with memory issues, it might be more than meno so ask your GP about vitamin deficiency!

Sparrow

Re: Vitamin B12 Deficiency
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2019, 12:11:46 PM »

That's really interesting info for all of us, and even our men folk.

Thanks

Foxylady

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2019, 06:42:07 PM »

Thanks Dorothy, def worth thinking about. Glad your mum seeing an improvement. x

Kathleen

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2019, 07:18:58 PM »

Hello ladies.

Vitamin B12 is made by bacteria in the soil. It's thought that in the past we got all we needed  drinking from streams and eating plants covered in dirt. Animals usually eat the bacteria when they graze or have it added to their feed so B12 is in all animal products. As this is an essential vitamin all vegans should take a supplement.

I think we forget how devastating some deficiencies can be, Scurvy for example could lead to fatal bleeding.

Wishing everyone well.

K.

Cacarosa

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2019, 10:27:03 PM »

People on HRT, BCP and metformin, and other medications are at risk of B12 deficiency. Since B12 hasn't got a toxic upper limit, it's wise to take supplements when on those medications

Wobbles

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2019, 06:21:13 PM »

Some people also don't have the enzyme in the stomach that helps absorption of B12 from food. I am one. I had a patch test done ages ago at the hospital. Loads of known allergens dotted on a sheet that was taped to my back for 24 hours revealed that I was allergic to nickel, latex and cobalt. I was told by the dermatologist that it was unlikely I'd absorb B12 in cyanoCOBALamin supplements as it has that metal in it.