Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Thrush from Vagifem again  (Read 1450 times)

DorothyS

Thrush from Vagifem again
« on: July 12, 2019, 11:59:10 AM »

Hello everyone

I started HRT end of May due to age I am 45 and last period february this year and before that 11 mths ago. Before that had missed some but nothing more than 3 months break ever.

GP put me on Oestrogel 1 pump a day and Utrogestan  100mg every day no break and also to take vagifem to protect against problems in that area.

My only symptoms have been low mood sometimes and irritable but circumstances also explains those.

After 8 days on vagifem I got thursh GP put me on Ovestin which I found messy so GP said go back to Vagifem have done the 2 week loading and on the maintenance and wednesday night used vagifem and had thrush thursday morning confirmed by a GUM clinic test.

I haven't had thursh for about 5 years prior to this and am not diabetic had bloods all done February. I don't have any menopause vaginal symptoms Dr said vagifem prevents this but I can't have thursh every month it is miserable.

I just don't know what to do I had oestradiol test after 3 weeks on Oestrogel 1 pump and it was 391 p/mol so I think I have adequate oestrogen.

Anybody else been told to take vagifem to stop problems down the line with no current symptoms ?

Thank you

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Thrush from Vagifem again
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2019, 12:08:17 PM »

Has a swab been sent away to check for other possible causes?

Some are sensitive to the fillers/packaing of these products.  Ovestin might be messy but if it works  :-\.  I've used it for 3 years and never had problems, applied at night after my bath once I'm in bed.  No mess  :-\ ..........

When thrush happens I use LIVE yoghurt - eaten and applied; to cleanse the whole digestive tract: thrush lives in the back passage and can be transferred where it will cause problems: 2 pots, one the fridge, one in the bathroom.  Lots for 5-10 days ;-).

:welcomemm: ......... I had intense itching high up at the end each period.  Due to dryness which is what VA treatment helps to ease. 

DorothyS

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2019, 12:18:57 PM »

Yes swabs were sent away last time and all negative apart from thursh yesterday in lab swabs showed thrush only and not BV was tested for other things but haven;t had sex for a while so I am not concerned. The symptoms both times are all the hallmarks of thrush and mainly itching around the entrance with thrush.

Never had any vaginal problems before starting this vagifem would rather not take anything but GP says need to as to prevent things yes am eating live yoghurt and don't have alot of sugar or caffeine anyway

Thankyou for the welcome  :)

CLKD

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2019, 12:57:51 PM »

You are on the 'right' road.  What symptoms does the GP think = vaginal atrophy? We have several threads about that and bladder issues, browse round; make notes  ;)

4 me VA was like razor blades up there  :o - Ovestin makes a difference.

DorothyS

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2019, 01:08:58 PM »

The GP doesn't think I have VA and I have never had any symptoms she said taking vagifem or ovestin now stops problems further down the line that is her reasoning

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2019, 03:03:03 PM »

She's wrong.  Why treat something that isn't present, not everyone gets VA  ::). Also, treatment is giving problems, I would stop !  Usually ladies have to shout for treatment  ::)

Get some LIVE yoghurt.  At least it's cooling when applied  ;)

My symptoms were repeated urine infection-type need-2-pee which anti-biotics and pain relief sorted.  But GP noted that a) samples hadn't been sent away to a Lab.  >:( he was really cross and b) it was symptoms of VA.  Sorted.

Maryjane

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2019, 05:57:27 PM »

One of the ladies in my VA group for constant thrush from vagifem, her GP put her on a constant thrush treatment for a few weeks plus & it eventually stopped & she's now fine on vagifem.

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2019, 07:35:53 PM »

:thankyou:  MJ - would a GP treat 'in case' though ?