Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Estrogen moisturizer - apply to the face... really?  (Read 9727 times)

TraceyTracey

Estrogen moisturizer - apply to the face... really?
« on: July 12, 2019, 10:10:50 AM »

I was checking out topical estrogen creams and there are some on Amazon in the US were ladies are using it on the face and getting good results being less lines and plumping of the skin on the face.   I have never heard that before and automatically feel cautious.  But it sort of makes some sense because estrogen rejuvenates the vagina.   Has anyone here heard of it and have a view on whether this is dangerous.   

I think from my point of view I have estrogen patches and am going to insert an estrogen tablet vaginally to help that area.   So I am concerned about Estrogen overload and any long term negative health reactions.

Thanks all

Tc

Re: Estrogen moisturizer - apply to the face... really?
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2019, 10:24:56 AM »

Tracey I had wondered this. Ovestin cream has worked well for me and the other night I thought "I wonder what would happen if I rubbed some into the backs of my hands".
I didnt try cos that little tube is too precious to spread around.!!! :)

Cacarosa

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2019, 10:29:12 AM »

I'm afraid that's NOT a good idea...

Melasma Associated with Topical Estrogen Cream

"A POST-MENOPAUSAL WOMAN presented to our dermatology clinic complaining of a six-month history of hyperpigmentation on her arms in the areas where she had been applying a topical estrogen cream."

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5367874/

pants46

• Still Struggling
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2019, 03:43:49 PM »

Blimey, great minds ... I have a tube if Ovestin in the fridge  ;) and my chin has started to get a bit hairy, so I did wonder if a tiny bit rubbed into the chin ??  ::)
« Last Edit: July 12, 2019, 04:12:17 PM by pants46 »

Perinowpost

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2019, 03:50:14 PM »

Don't do it. Cacarosa is right , I put it on my face (just once) and I have a hyperpigmentation spot that will not go x

jaycee

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2019, 06:14:24 PM »

I have seen this advertised on the internet,i think it was about £20, can't remember the name of the advertiser,i would think it is a very weak version of oestrogen
I will see if i can find it and report back

jaycee

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2019, 07:25:36 PM »

There are several websites advertising this for face,one called "Youth Renew" says it is safe

Cacarosa

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2019, 09:07:06 PM »

It seems cosmetic creams do not contain "real" strogens so I don't think those would cause melasma

According to this review, topical strogen on the skin has rejuvenating properties bit there aren't any cosmetic creams providing estrogen

"A variety of studies have also examined estrogen delivery topically. Estrogen is readily soluble in a creamy vehicle and easily penetrates the stratum corneum due to its small molecular size. It is the ideal cosmeceutical for topical application. Topical estrogen has been shown to increase the production of type III collagen and the overall collagen fiber count after 6 months of application (7). It also increased the acid mucopolysaccharide and hyaluronic acid levels in the skin, which are important for maintaining skin hydration and barrier function (8). The combination of increased dermal volume, due to more collagen fibers, and increased dermal hydration, due to more hyaluronic acid, may explain the decreased wrinkling apparent in women using estrogens. It is important to note that there is currently no other substance available to the cosmetic formulator that delivers such documentable reproducible results in women."

"The legal restrictions on the use of estrogen over-the-counter has led to an interest in phytoestrogens, especially those derived from soy. Phytoestrogens, such as genistein, daidzein, and glycitein, are found in fermented soy and can be consumed in the form of roasted soy nuts or tofu. Soy protein supplements have been investigated for their benefit in a variety of postmenopausal symptoms, but the data are somewhat inconsistent. One controlled study by Kotsopoulos et al. (9) found that a soy protein supplement had no statistically significant effect over placebo on dry skin. Yet, genestein is one of the most popular botanical additives to skin care products promising to decrease the appearance of fine lines on the face."

https://www.fertstert.org/article/S0015-0282(05)01028-9/fulltext
« Last Edit: July 12, 2019, 09:21:57 PM by Cacarosa »

Cacarosa

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2019, 09:19:13 PM »

Or from retinoic acid. I personally use Retirides 0,025 and its great

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2699641/

Cacarosa

« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2019, 09:30:37 PM »

Also if you've had long term sun exposure estrogens won't work while glycolic acid and retinoic acid can reverse photo damage

"Interestingly, alterations induced by long-term sun exposure hinder the ability of topical 2-week estradiol to stimulate collagen production in aged skin."

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamadermatology/fullarticle/420008

cityrat

« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2019, 05:03:38 AM »

I use a tiny bit of Estrace (estradiol) creme (prescribed for vagina which i also use) on my neck and face a couple times a week (not near breasts). It works wonders. I also have been using retin a since I was 25 (I'm 52) so no worries about melasma (skin is constantly renewing so any spot thing that threatens is toast). Also use glycolic acid cream.

In tests estradiol was shown to thicken skin noticeably as you have read, (and not show up in the overall system). My dermatologist said "oh that stuff is great!". My gyno said as long as I was using the Duavee I'm on for HRT, it wouldn't be unopposed estrogen even if it DID show up in my system so ok.

Seems pretty risk free and as I said it works a treat.

ElkWarning

« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2019, 03:24:34 PM »

So I can put Vagifem on my face?