Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Have to stop HRT...  (Read 1292 times)

LouLou

Have to stop HRT...
« on: July 10, 2019, 02:15:02 PM »

Spoke with my GP again today after having a continuous bleed for 16 days! :-\ been on HRT for 4 months (oestrogel 2 pumps/utrogestan daily for 25 days) - the 1st few months were fine, I actually feel amazing now! but this continuous bleeding is really getting me down & GP says to wean off it in next few days - I have to see her next week for an examination - she wants to see if by stopping HRT the bleeding stops?
I am devastated - was finally at a point where I feel amazing & now I have to stop it :o :(
What are my alternatives? Any advice would be much appreciated....

Dotty

Re: Have to stop HRT...
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2019, 02:45:43 PM »

Hi breakthrough bleeding can happen in the first 6 months of starting any hrt and shouldn't cause concern.

Were you post menopausal or peri when you started the hrt? x

Dotty

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2019, 02:49:13 PM »

Hi just read on your previous posts that you were still in peri menopause when you started the hrt.  You are taking the post meno dosage of Utrogestan and this is probably why you are experiencing bleeding.

The peri dose is 200mg for 12 days on days 15 -26 of your cycle.  Try it that way and it should regulate your bleeding. x

juliemargaret

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2019, 02:56:26 PM »

Hi all......im on 4th bleed in 8 weeks...im on 2 pumps estro and 100mg alternaye day utro in the advice of a top meno doc. Im.also peri and 48. Seems there is NOT a one size fots all for peri....or post. Bleeding is , so im.told, expected and notmal.when first stsrt hrt and shoukd settle but can take up to 6 months. I wont pretend to know  much at all as still navigating myself but....surely stoppibg is uneccesaary? Maybe like dotry said you just need to change.regime? Im at a loss what to flamin do for myself! Not feeling too great neither.....tired...ver low mood and thoughts.....sore left breast...etc....so dont know what to do for the best...and wonderinf if an increase in estro is needed.....before i even consider a cycle regime as was.fine on the alterbate days vaginally...but.now feeling back to square one if not worse!

Maybe dont stop yet......i do hope.somebody with nore know.can help you.....or reassure you...and me !! I
« Last Edit: July 10, 2019, 07:11:32 PM by Jmargaret »

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2019, 05:54:02 PM »

No need to stop!  Have a look at the leaflet in the packet or ask a Pharmacist for advice.

Or put the product name into the search box here and make notes.

Taz2

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2019, 08:26:08 PM »

This gets me so annoyed! You have been given the wrong type of HRT so of course you are bleeding. You need to be prescribed a sequi HRT. There is no need for you to stop.

Taz x

LouLou

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2019, 08:29:26 PM »

Dotty, GP put me on post meno dose, because it was 9 months since I had my last period, so she said that was nearer post meno, than peri?
Dotty, you mentioned that the peri dose is 200mg for 12 days on days 15 -26 of your cycle, how will I know what my cycle is? how would I know when day 15 is? sorry I get so confused with all of this! ::)
Thank you all for your replies, I'm just so all over the place today, it all came as bit of a shock that she said to stop :-\

Dotty

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2019, 08:07:57 AM »

Hi LouLou
Your GP is right that you were nearer to post meno than peri.  However, until you have gone 12 months without a period you are not post meno and bleeding can occur at any time even if you have gone 9 months without a period.  You can try a post meno dose of Utrogestan whilst still in peri menopause, but the likelihood is that you will get lots of erratic and breakthrough bleeding.  If you are post meno and start hrt then bleeding is not a worry in the first 6 months.  As you were not post meno when you started then bleeding can be expected and is nothing to worry about.

I'm not an expert on taking Utrogestan in peri menopause, but I think what you do if you don't have a regular cycle, is that you start the Utrogestan on a date and take it for 12 days.  You carry on starting it on the same date every month for 12 days.  That should regulate your cycle and cause a bleed just after stopping the Utrogestan.

You do not need to stop the hrt.....in fact stopping it will mess up your system even more.

I'm not a doctor or medically trained.  I've just done an awful lot of research into menopause and hrt. 

Hope that makes sense. xxxx

Dotty

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2019, 08:49:24 AM »

Thanks Birdy  :) I thought i'd got it right .  You and I seem to be on the same wavelength on a lot of posts xx

Cacarosa

« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2019, 09:08:04 AM »

If I were you, I'd ask for an echo. Heavy bleedings sometimes are caused by fibroids. It happened to me, went to ER due to an horrible episode of bleeding when I was 40 and they found I have a polymiomatous uterus.

Hurdity

« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2019, 07:47:13 PM »

I agree with the others LouLou - no need to stop HRT and you may be better taking it cyclically. Dotty is right re a cycle - if you are very late peri then you create an artificial cycle determined by the length of time you take each part. When I was in this position I stuck to a 28 day cycle because I wanted the bleed to happen at the same point in the (working) week rather than determined by calendar date, but as Dotty says many women take it monthly so on a fixed date making it easy to remember.

Cacarosa what is an echo and what is ER  :-\? Are you outside UK - je ne comprends pas?!

Hurdity x

juliemargaret

« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2019, 12:02:03 PM »

Hi birdy and all...ohhhh im.still bloody bleeding (pun intended!!)  Not really heavy or uncomfy but there and even with a tampon in every time.i wee and wipe there  it is (huh). I mean im.ok......was.feeling really flat and low and tired...but today not as bad as i upped my estro.to 2 and a bit pumps....not sure if this was wise but i was desperate as mood was awful....i.mean.bad....and just when i thought was.feeling better.too.......does anyone think.2.5 pumps be ok?!

Cycle - i may try this i think....as im a bit fed up now of.alternate days and bleeds...dont know the woods from the trees. Im.sorry i started this hrt.lark. Can anyone help - birdy, dotty, hurdity......anyone....if i want to start a.cyle.of 12 days. 100mg vaginal.utro.....when would be best.to start? .ie...now....or in a few.days and.on the 15th.(until.tje 26th of each month)...or wait until bleed ends or? (My last utro vaginally was last night) i tried to work out when my normal 'proper' period may have been coming as.since.starting this hrt ive lost track as had 4 bleeds....i think i would habe been due on around now...well a few days ago around the 8th....so.coukd expmain why i.felt.so.rubbish and all the usual due on  symptoms...couod this be possible? Any advice on what i could do next.re.cycle?  Sorry for all.the questions i know im.appearing desp!! I.am hahaa
Thank you all.xx.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2019, 03:54:29 PM by Jmargaret »