Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Author Topic: Spotting  (Read 912 times)

Missy2626

Spotting
« on: July 10, 2019, 03:17:07 AM »

Hello everyone!  It's been quite some time since I posted here, and since then, I believe I'm finally heading more closely to menopause.  I just turned 52 and my periods have still been regular, up until last month.  After two and a half weeks of cramps I finally got my period, which was two weeks late.  Just today, I noticed some light pink/brownish spotting and I am mid-cycle.  I had my annual exam and Pap smear about one week ago and all was normal.  Is this spotting normal and to be expected?  This is my first time experiencing the same, and it has me a bit worried.  Of course, I'm leaving for a vacation tomorrow and know I won't be able to relax now, worrying over this!  Thanks for any insight or words of reassurance!!

Taz2

Re: Spotting
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2019, 08:34:11 PM »

Hi Missy2626. Spotting and/or irregular bleeding are common during peri menopause as hormone levels rise and fall in an unpredictable way. As your smears etc. are up to date I would think that it is normal. I had this, together with periods being all over the place, for around three years (50 to 53) before starting HRT.

Have a great vacation and try not to worry. Just to say though that any bleeding after sex does need to be mentioned to your doc as it is not part of being peri menopausal. Hope this helps.

Taz x  :)

Missy2626

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2019, 04:24:19 AM »

Awe, thanks so much for the reassurances Taz2!  I ended up messaging my gyno on the patient portal and she pretty much said exactly as you did, and thought perhaps it could be ovulation, since I'm mid-cycle right now.  It sure is a difficult time of life when you have no idea what to expect and to try to decipher what's normal and what isn't!  Thank you again for your reply!

Taz2

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2019, 08:50:02 PM »

It's definitely a challenging time but this forum with all its wonderful women who are so supportive makes all the difference!

Taz x  :-*