Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: I’m intrigued!  (Read 2502 times)

Roobee

I’m intrigued!
« on: July 09, 2019, 06:19:46 PM »

I've been wondering why most of us took the birth control pill or some device or other, without any side effects or issues, yet HRT makes so many feel awful?
Birth control is much stronger hormones than HRT so why I ask myself...and you? 😂

jaycee

Re: I’m intrigued!
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2019, 06:27:43 PM »

I never had any problems with birth control pills, but also not had with HRT either, up to now anyway,
I always felt great when i was pregnant though, and no problems there either,
Not even morning sickness, maybe just lucky

MicheleMaBelle

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2019, 06:47:59 PM »

I remember being put on one pill that made me a looney. Crying, rocking back and forth etc etc. Went back to the doc who laughed and said that it could do that to some women. She changed it to another one and I don't recall having many issues with that. However after a terrible time with various HRT regimes, I had a lightbulb moment about the progesterone. Yes, I'm sensitive to it, yes I take Utrogestan and yes, it makes me feel crap but better crap than the crappy crap I felt before. Bloody hormones...👹😭🥵🤯🤬

Roobee

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2019, 07:00:33 PM »

I remember being put on one pill that made me a looney. Crying, rocking back and forth etc etc. Went back to the doc who laughed and said that it could do that to some women. She changed it to another one and I don't recall having many issues with that. However after a terrible time with various HRT regimes, I had a lightbulb moment about the progesterone. Yes, I'm sensitive to it, yes I take Utrogestan and yes, it makes me feel crap but better crap than the crappy crap I felt before. Bloody hormones...👹😭🥵🤯🤬

Better crap than the crappy crap 😂 that's a very good way of looking at it!

Roobee

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2019, 07:03:27 PM »

Maybe it's because we are older? Or been without the hormones for a while so getting them back on track is harder or just because we are now thinking about it all too much?
I would love to know the actual reason from an expert, doesn't make any sense to me 🤷🏻‍♀️

Perinowpost

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2019, 08:02:59 PM »

I could never tolerate the contraceptive pill (any of them). My husband had a vasectomy instead it was that bad. Conversely I've found hrt works wonderfully, only the oestrogen part though, still trying to get the progesterone part right x

Alicess

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2019, 08:20:12 AM »

I would prefer birth control over HRT any time even if it poses more risk as it is more potent. It can be trail and error to find the right one. Different progestins have different androgenic and progestogenic properties and some have higher estrogen and lower progesterone and vice versa. But if it works it surpresses fluctuations way better than HRT. Within limits I would choose quality of life above quantity.

Annie0710

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2019, 08:54:01 AM »

I was put on ovranette (think that's how it's said) and it sent me doo lally.  Chucked my boyfriend, quit my exams half way through and didn't give a damn about anyone/anything.  Mum took me straight back saying what it'd turned me into and he gave me one with 3 different strengths, Trinordial I think and that was the one I always relied on when needing BC x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2019, 09:46:23 AM »

Good question!   :foryou:

The first birth control Pill made me nauseous, try explaining that to a Mother with elephant sized ears  >:(
The 2nd I took for over 11 years B4 being sterilised.   No problems. No weight gain etc..  Can't remember what the names were though  :-\

It's our hormones that cause us to ask for HRT so it may be the natural rise and fall that is some of the problem.  Fluctuation and adding 'replacement' may well upset the whole bodily system and because we already feel ruff, we are more susceptible to changes in hormone levels.

Certainly PMT can cause HUGE upheaval for women, causing them to commit murder.  Think of post natal depression ......... that's happening without replacement methods.

Roobee

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2019, 09:28:26 PM »

I agree CLKD, we weren't low on anything back then I guess nor were we totally obsessed with every little thing like we are now (or me at least). So I spose once the system has gone without it's a bit of a shock to all of a sudden get some and try to adjust to it!

Don't remember ever reading leaflets of the pill or even considering it may make me feel ill, but now have read the bloody newspaper sized info sheet of HRT over and over trying to decide if I want to use it....what's that all about?

Dorothy

« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2019, 09:33:54 PM »

Some people do react very badly to the BCP - my friend's daughter became suicidal after being put on the pill for PMT. 

My GP did advise that BCP tends to be better tolerated than HRT in most cases because it is stronger and 'overrides' the natural hormonal cycle, so that you don't get fluctuations.  HRT works more on a 'top up' basis, so if your own hormones are still variable, sometimes the HRT will top you up by too much or too little, depending on your own levels.  Well, she put it more scientifically than that, but I hope it makes sense!

Roobee

« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2019, 09:38:30 PM »

Makes perfect sense Dorothy, thank you 😀
I would like something that totally overrides my natural hormones until I die please lol

jillydoll

• Hiya
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2019, 09:40:39 PM »

I went on the lowest form of the pill. Green packet, as I remember, micro summat or other.
But it gave me high blood pressure.
Came off that and went onto the injection, depo provera. Just a little weight gain, but nothing much, just the same as this hrt I'm on now.
Then went and got sterilised in my early 30s......OH wouldn't have it done, too scared.😆
Ahh shame! 😡

7dwarfs

« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2019, 06:23:42 AM »

This is really interesting, I couldn't tolerate any kind of birth control pill, combined or mini and they either sent me loopy or I had migraines, weight gain, spots, horrendous bouts of thrush, mood swings- you name it I got it. It would appear that my poor daughter isn't fairing much better after trying yet another pill and wanting to jump under a bus ( her words😳). I've just started femoston as I'm peri- haven't got to the progesterone phase yet and have to admit I'm a little worried. The oestrogen has worked on my mood almost instantly and I am feeling a whole heap better than two weeks ago! I can't stop smiling and I'm hoping as I've read that femoston is gentle that I can tolerate it- early days I know!
Just shows really how much/ little is really known about the impact taking hormones has affected so many women 😳  :o

Perinowpost

« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2019, 08:11:10 AM »

7dwarfs struggling with the contraceptive pill is an indicator of being progesterone intolerant. Hopefully you'll be ok with that prog in femosten though, fingers crossed x
Pages: [1] 2