Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: GnRH analogues  (Read 1693 times)

SuzieD

GnRH analogues
« on: June 28, 2019, 04:15:14 PM »

Was given an injection of triptorelin just over a month ago, has anyone been on this before? Periods have went haywire and the weight I've put on is horrific, I've went up a dress size and had to take all my rings off, even my wedding band from the swelling. My gp was useless, just sat there and smirked when I explained I was going off for our first holiday abroad in nine days and I didn't want to be still bleeding while we were away. I've had three periods in a month, I'm exhausted

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: GnRH analogues
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2019, 04:18:56 PM »

GPs sometimes have no idea about how awful menopause can make ladies feel nor how to administer HRT.

Perhaps put the name of the product name into the search box and see if anything pops up?

pants46

• Still Struggling
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2019, 04:29:10 PM »

I've just googled Triptorelin, and it's used to treat prostate cancer.
WTF SuzieD.
Why did your GP give you this ?

CLKD

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2019, 04:30:14 PM »

Is it testosterone then?

pants46

• Still Struggling
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2019, 04:41:11 PM »

The NICE drug info page says this ...

Administration of gonadorelin analogues produces an initial phase of stimulation; continued administration is followed by down-regulation of gonadotrophin-releasing hormone receptors, thereby reducing the release of gonadotrophins (follicle stimulating hormone and luteinising hormone) which in turn leads to inhibition of androgen and oestrogen production.

Then goes on to detail dosage for prostrate cancer, treating endometriosis and for reduction in size of uterine fibroids.
Nothing in there about being an alternative to HRT, or its use helping to reduce meno symptoms.  :o

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2019, 05:22:08 PM »

Maybe speak to a Pharmacist tomorrow?

SuzieD

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2019, 07:03:29 PM »

I'm peri-menopausal as well as have  fibroids . I've been having horrific periods and pain for the past 14 years, and the docs have tried everything, within the last year they told me I was peri. (I'm still actively ovulating and menstruating) I'm on triptorelin to shut down my ovaries for the periods and to find out where the pain is coming from. I'm on it for six months, but there's nothing they can do for the fibroids because of where they are bar hysterectomy.

pants46

• Still Struggling
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2019, 09:25:31 PM »

SuzieD. Sorry we've all gone a bit bonkers over the drug your Dr is using. Now we understand why.
It's a shame your Dr didnt warn you that you could bleed a lot in the first few weeks, so that you could schedule it for after your holiday. And smirking is just f'n rude.
I think, however, you are stuck on that path. But hopefully the bleeding will settle after your next injection.
Did you ever try they mirena coil ? Apparently that reduces your periods, stopping them altogether eventually and can shrink fibroids (I think) ?
Brst, Pants.

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2019, 09:30:32 PM »

You aren't peri unless the periods are waxing and waning.  Do you have any other symptoms that might suggest menopause? 

The GP put me on The Pill - I had dreadfully long bleeds: 10 days on, 10 days off, 10 days on 4 many years: clots, heavy, dreadfully painful  :'(.  Feminax [I think] helped with the pain.  But The Pill took all that problem away as it regulated me to a 32 day cycle.  I had my first period slightly B4 I turned 12 and didn't stop until I was 47 (I think).  Too late to work that one out  ::)

SuzieD

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2019, 10:09:56 PM »

It was the gynae consultant that put me on the injection the day I had the appointment, she knew we were going away and said my periods would be settled by then. I was seen today by some arsehole of a locum, none of my usual doctors that have been dealing with me were available. I've tried two merinas- bled through them both, mefanamic acid, transamic acid, the pill. The reason my gp thinks I'm peri is because I missed two periods, my hormone levels dropped and my mother went into early menopause. He did google my symptoms, mind you 🙄🤦‍♀️ I've yo go for another injection in August, but if I'm still as bad by then, then the requested for a hysterectomy is being fully logged.

pants46

• Still Struggling
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2019, 10:58:06 PM »

SuzieD, I'm so sorry you are having all these problems. I can't advise wether the hysterectomy is a good idea, obviously you won't bleed any more, but it's major surgery and there are risks involved. The only thing I would say if you go down that route, is don't let them touch your ovaries.
You are still young at forty, and if you are not peri, you could get a good number of years without your terrible periods AND without peri/menopause symptoms.
I see you have tried lots of different approaches - the pill you tried, was that the minipill ?
There are some women on here who have had hysterectomies. Might be worth asking them to share their  experiences, good and bad. The more information you have the better.
Best. x
« Last Edit: June 28, 2019, 11:01:28 PM by pants46 »

CLKD

« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2019, 09:57:47 AM »

Don't rush into hysterectomy without discussing at a menopause clinic what you will require after surgery.  Some Surgeons take ovaries at the same time to avoid having more intervention at a later date but discuss that at depth too.  Mine considers it necessary to avoid cancer in the future but I don't know what the incidence actually is by leaving them in-situ.

Gynaes don't always know as much about menopause effects as women do which is why finding a good Clinic can be really helpful. 

HRT is important at your age to protect heart and bones.  Brisk exercise daily will protect you to a certain extent which can be with others, or 'me time' - borrow a  :scottie:  ;)