News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Bleed  (Read 3271 times)

shrimpette

Bleed
« on: June 24, 2019, 01:07:05 PM »

Just inserted some replens after it arrived at work (don't think I lubricated enough) removed applicator and there is some blood, bright red. Should I see GP straight away or should I wait and see? 8 years postmenopausal and 55. Definitely got VA. Worried now. Wish I'd waited until I got home. 😟

shrimpette

Re: Bleed
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2019, 01:52:00 PM »

Birdy, you life saver! I've been using VMs for a while which ease the discomfort a bit. How do GPS get away with recommending this stuff? Ive got a GP app on Friday. I will mention then. I had a uterine scan and biopsy a few years ok. All okay. I assume, since I haven't checked yet, that vagifem needs to be prescribed? Does it help with urinary symptoms too? I will join the facebook page - thank you so much x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2019, 02:05:50 PM »

I have never had problems with KY Jelly  ;)

Tc

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2019, 02:06:32 PM »

Hiya shrimp. I think birdy has given you good advice there. Just to say I also hated replens and had the gloopy white stuff. I think it acts like an exfoliant and "sloughs" the "dead" skin cells off, which is the last thing you need with the delicate tissues of VA.
I havent read any favourable comments about it on here 

Local eastrogen would help to strengthen the tissues. And it would gradually become easier to insert things. This is what I found anyway.. when i was very sore inside i found  applicators "scratchy". So I started off with estriol cream and inserted with finger until things got a bit more comfortable.

Definitely ask your doc about local eastrogen. As birdy says there are several options and vaginal moisturisers are
Not enough to treat VA

A lot of us use vagifem and estriol or ovestin cream for the  vulva too.

Good luck xx

CLKD

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2019, 02:36:46 PM »

Good 4 me, yep.   :-\

Replens can be bought over the counter, not something our surgery have ever prescribed.  It is sold as a lubricant, not a means of easing VA symptoms.

A small amount of blood isn't a particular worry if the vagina is dry.  Ask your Nurse Practitioner or GP for appropriate treatment for vaginal atrophy, B4 your appt maybe read the various threads here?

I am fully aware of Jane's work - have followed her here for several years Birdy.  I also find it difficult to read links when the author owns a company selling products associated with the topic in hand.  For example, my anti-depressant medication has never dried my vagina - wonder where she gets *that* idea from?  Have been using KYJ since 1971.  If it's so awful, why does NICE allow GPs to use it?
« Last Edit: June 24, 2019, 02:39:04 PM by CLKD »

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2019, 02:45:50 PM »

R U being bossy  :-\ ........... I've been here years and seen the advice suggested.  I have VA and ......... with no problems. If KYJ were as 'dangerous' as you suggest it would be withdrawn!

shrimpette

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2019, 02:49:55 PM »

Thanks so much everyone- I also have LS so VA is an additional pain (literally) and I have struggled for some time. How do I find the right FB page? My GP appointment is a week on Friday, not this week. Maybe I should try and get one sooner? Feel a bit better thanks - didn't realise how bad VA can get 😟..... good news that there is a lobby to stop replens recommendations. How do you get this stuff out one used?  I've been using another brand too. The one they advertise on TV! x

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2019, 02:53:36 PM »

Probably because many women go to the GP complaining of depression?  That was a topic discussed quite recently around the table with a couple of GPs, a Nurse and myself over a cuppa.  A GP/Nurse Practitioner will prescribe appropriately dependent on what the patient presents with.  [male or female] They are not mind readers.  With 7 mins in our area with each person, hardly gives them time to pass the time of day  ::)

I don't think many of us are aware of VA initially .......... anything put into the vagina will either be absorbed or rejected by the body in the normal cleansing method, the vagina is designed to keep itself clean. Until it becomes too dry to work as designed  >:(.  4 me the issue became problematic with repeated urine infection-type symptoms  >:( and whilst ABs did help, my GP noticed a pattern and prescribed appropriately. 

Enough Birdy.  I don't need to ask anyone about what suits my vagina.  I've followed Jane's story for several years. 

Tc

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2019, 03:20:42 PM »

Shrimp I dont think you should worry about "getting it out". . Dont panic. I stopped using it (I had only used it 3 days) and the white gloop stopped after a day or two. I think it's just the cream and skin cells. It's designed to initially slough away.  I dont think the replens caused you to bleed I think it's the VA making tearing easier  so definitely tell your doc and get some treatment for VA.

Are you being treated for LS?

racjen

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2019, 05:44:47 PM »

Probably because many women go to the GP complaining of depression?  That was a topic discussed quite recently around the table with a couple of GPs, a Nurse and myself over a cuppa.  A GP/Nurse Practitioner will prescribe appropriately dependent on what the patient presents with.  [male or female] They are not mind readers.  With 7 mins in our area with each person, hardly gives them time to pass the time of day  ::)

I don't think many of us are aware of VA initially .......... anything put into the vagina will either be absorbed or rejected by the body in the normal cleansing method, the vagina is designed to keep itself clean. Until it becomes too dry to work as designed  >:(.  4 me the issue became problematic with repeated urine infection-type symptoms  >:( and whilst ABs did help, my GP noticed a pattern and prescribed appropriately. 

Enough Birdy.  I don't need to ask anyone about what suits my vagina.  I've followed Jane's story for several years.

CLKD I find your response quite shocking - you seem to be saying that doctors can only be expected to diagnose on the basis of very superficial symptoms presented to them? Part of a GPs job is surely to look at the whole range of possible causes behind the presenting problem, after all, a heart attack can present as pain in the arm, a headache could just be a migraine, on the other hand it could be a brain tumour. All GPs should be aware that women of menopausal age presenting with mood problems may have a hormonal problem at the root.

shrimpette

« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2019, 06:45:51 PM »

My mum has vulva cancer from untreated LS. She was misdiagnosed by her doctor for many years, and given Cannesten cream instead of appropriate treatment. 😖
Google ‘why borax is my new best friend'. My mum uses borax soaks for her LS which is severe. She says it is the only thing that makes a big difference.

I'm really sorry to hear about your mum Birdy. My diagnosis was not recent - it's been about 15yrs. I was treated for thrush originally like your mum, then referred to dermatology. I was pregnant at the time. Thank you, I will read up about borax soaks. I agree with you about being a detective where your own health journey is concerned. x

shrimpette

« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2019, 10:06:22 PM »

Shrimp I dont think you should worry about "getting it out". . Dont panic. I stopped using it (I had only used it 3 days) and the white gloop stopped after a day or two. I think it's just the cream and skin cells. It's designed to initially slough away.  I dont think the replens caused you to bleed I think it's the VA making tearing easier  so definitely tell your doc and get some treatment for VA.

Are you being treated for LS?

Thanks TC. I think using the applicator made me bleed. I haven't bled before. Still got a bit of a residual bleed tonight on toilet paper. Translucent. I must get some treatment ASAP.

shrimpette

« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2019, 10:17:39 PM »

My mum is in her 80s, and must have had LS for years. At least you know what you are dealing with as by the time my mum found out (and she had to pay privately for a biopsy, as she was so desperate) it was very advanced and she needed surgery. Only in the last year has she used borax, and she wishes she had done long ago.
The VA will improve once you find a treatment that suits you. Like I said, Vagifem didn't suit me so I tried estriol and began to recover fairly quickly.
But I think HRT helped me too. All the very best!
[/quote

Thanks Birdy. So sorry to hear about your mum. I do hope she is okay. I read the article you posted. So much in there. I was desperate using replens - can't believe it contains polymers; no doubt these VMs have made my symptoms worse. Looking forward to some longer term relief. All the best to you and your mum.

shrimpette

« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2019, 11:10:23 PM »

Saw GP on Thursday and she prescribed estriol cream for me. I explained about the one off bleed. After 4 nights use of estriol I feel worse. The feeling of urinary urgency seems to have got worse and I feel like I'm sitting on a spike at times. Like there's something inside my vagina. I had this feeling before but it feels worse. I rang GP today and asked for a referral to gynaecology. Am I expecting too much too soon? Is estriol enough? Like all of us with VA utterly fed up! Off to the loo again!

shrimpette

« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2019, 10:39:10 AM »

Thanks Birdy. I know we're all different but how long did it take for your symptoms to improve? I have used Yes VM today too which has helped- how are you supposed to dispense from those large tubes? I've asked my GP for a referral already. I want to get my LS checked too. I'm waiting for results of urine test too. Probiotics-that's a good idea. Thanks Birdy. I think when you get to a certain age, it can feel like one think after another! 😟
Pages: [1] 2