Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Author Topic: Same HRT regime but just more tweaks....help!  (Read 1217 times)

TNM45689

Same HRT regime but just more tweaks....help!
« on: June 20, 2019, 05:52:36 PM »

Hi

I went through early menopause and diagnosed with Osteoporosis at 47 this year. I had gone onto HRT last year to help look after my bones etc before the diagnosis.

Apart from mood swings and lack of libido I really cannot complain too much at this stage (I know I am one of the lucky ones). I was put on 50mg Estradot and utrogestan vaginally. However I got my estrogen levels done and they were only 100 and so my dose was increased to 75mg....my levels went down to 63. I was the put on 62.5 and told to change patches 3 x times a week rather than 2 - levels have gone up to 133 so better.

Obviously my levels still need to be higher but my biggest problem is still the low moods (I know when my patch needs replacing) the tightness, bloatedness in my tummy - it is really uncomfortable. I under Chelsea and Wedstminster and had an appointment today - they have said continue with same dose but change patch every 2 days and take a probiotic and duirectic.

I will obviously try this but just wondered why after a year they would still not maybe try me on something else - estrogel ?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Tx

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Same HRT regime but just more tweaks....help!
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2019, 06:37:59 PM »

Do they believe that the pro-biotic and diuretic will help? Did they advise on salt intake?  When MinL was on a diuretic the GP kept telling her to reduce her salt intake - the advice almost killed her, the Consultant when she was admitted didn't understand how Mum was still upright  :o.

How is your exercise regime? [you may have told me B4 but I have a meno-brain  ::)]

TNM45689

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2019, 07:08:14 PM »

Hi CLKD - tbh  I kept saying to him about the tighness/bloatedness and eventually he said try the probiotic and diuretic...but it was all quite vague - just let's see if that helps.

I am at a loss why he has not suggested trying something different like gel - I just wondered if here might be a reason.

My exercise regime is good - running, yoga, weights ...

xxx

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2019, 07:29:08 PM »

I had bloating and nausea with IBS.  Another menopause problem!

TNM45689

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2019, 07:58:09 PM »

What have you done to help symptonshon?
x

Hurdity

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2019, 08:00:58 AM »

Hi there - I don't know why you haven't been put on a higher dose patch eg 100 mcg to change 3 times a week? It is clear that some women don't absorb very well. Maybe in your case it is coming unstuck a bit hence the every two day suggestion? Personally I would want to try a higher dose patch before trying the gel - especially as your levels seem to be consistently lower than recommended for osteoporosis and you are still young. I know the C & W are amongst the top meno clinics but I am puzzled re your levels and dosage and the subsequent recommendations I must say!

Hurdity x

TNM45689

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2019, 09:21:57 PM »

Thanks Hurdity - I think that is what is confusing me....it all does not make sense and why I am still puzzled after a year why I am still on the patches. I did try 75mg but my levels weirdly went down and I did not feel good at all hence why they reduced it to 62.5 and now changing every 2 days....but changing every two days seems excessive too...
xx