Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Depression, anxiety or menopause  (Read 1639 times)

new girl

Depression, anxiety or menopause
« on: June 12, 2019, 01:46:11 PM »

Hello ladies, I've been suffering from anxiety and depression for nearly 10 years, since my youngest son was born. I'm now 49 and losing it completely. All this time I've been treated with meds only to change gp who looked at my records and did some bloods to confirm I'm menopausal/post menopausal. I don't now how I feel about it really, I'm wondering now if I've been going through the menopause all this time and it's not depression or anxiety it's the menopause and I've been treated for the wrong thing. I have low moods, lots of anger, I'm irritable and horrible, I really don't know who I am anymore, the only thing I do know is that I don't like who I've become. I'm really scared that because of my behaviour that I can't control I could end up loosing everything. I have another go app't next Tuesday to discuss my symptoms etc, just hope that they will help me. Sorry for the rant. X

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Depression, anxiety or menopause
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2019, 01:51:05 PM »

Did the medication ease symptoms?

It can be hard to differentiate the difference between depression and anxiety and what might be triggered at peri-menopause.  So appropriate treatment for what you told your GP is OK.  39 would have been the time to begin thinking about peri but some GPs don't believe a woman is menopausal unless she has flushes, which I've never had  ::).

Which symptom would you like to ease?  Maybe keep a mood/symptom/food diary to show your GP. 

HRT can protect heart and bones in 'early' menopause but I expect you've been busy running after a toddler etc. and active with him? 

You sound like how I was B4 each period!  HORMONAL  >:(  ::).   :welcomemm: :hug:

How is your diet?

new girl

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2019, 03:10:14 PM »

Hi, I've been doing a good diary for the last couple of months due to a spell in hospital and a diverticulitis diagnosis. Pretty much a Mediterranean diet low-high fibre.

My moods swings are the worst thing one moment I'm ‘me' and the next I'm ‘the bitch from hell crossed with the devil'

I just hate being the way I am, i'm unrecognisable, I don't know who the real me is any more.

My husband seems to think that I need hrt and all will be well, like it's a little magical fix.

I feel there's a lot of pressure on me to try and get myself sorted out.

Kathleen

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2019, 03:33:04 PM »

Hello New girl and welcome to the forum.

Your story is depressingly familiar to many of us on this site. Although you were only 39 when your symptoms began an early menopause could have been the cause.  I also have mood swings and they are distressing so I do sympathise.

Hopefully some HRT experts will be along soon to advise you and you can get the right treatment from your GP..

Wishing you well and keep posting.

K.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2019, 03:36:03 PM »

HRT might well help.  Without trying it you won't find out.  How is your diet?

racjen

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2019, 05:33:25 PM »

If you hadn't had depression and anxiety before the period you describe I'd say it's highly likely to be hormonal. If you're lucky HRT will sort it out (and you might have to try a few), but bear in mind that it's sometimes not enough and you end up on ADs as well. Doesn't mean it's not hormonal, just that the whole bloody thing is so complicated you can't always find the ideal solution.