Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Author Topic: Anxious about being anxious  (Read 1273 times)

ladylollipop

Anxious about being anxious
« on: June 11, 2019, 07:42:26 AM »

Hello everybody, I do have a question: taking HRT and a low dose of AD. Most times I am doing fine but  then a thought turns up and I get anxious that all the anxiety I experienced is going to come back. Then I am nervous and have problems to calm down. Who knows that feeling? What do you do

Best wishes
Lady Lollipop

Holsy

Re: Anxious about being anxious
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2019, 07:55:25 AM »

Hi Lady Lollipop

I am totally with you on this one. I have been on ADs before but for life stresses not hormonal, so I've been reluctant to start them again. I have been on them for 5 days and hate the side effects already, so I am going to try hypnotherapy on Friday for the anxiety. Desperate for something to work and as reflexology has been helping with other symptoms I'm hoping for a good result.

Currently whilst I'm feeling like you do, I find something to do to distract me, clean, go for a walk - hopefully with friends if they're free. Deep breathing, a friend has also just introduced me to essential oils, there are some really lovely calming smellies that relax you and take the edge off.

How long have you been on the ADs for? As they will take a while to get into your system before you start to feel better and they often do make you feel worse for the first few weeks.

Keep busy and I hope you start to feel better soon. x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2019, 08:03:04 AM »

Yep.  Anxiety feeds on itself.  If I have an important event then I worry about having a panic attack which prevents me attending  :'(

Holsy

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2019, 08:10:49 AM »

Sorry to hear that CLKD

Are you on ADs? If so, how long have you been on them for? I thought I had read previous posts of yours were you have been on them for a while. If so, are they working for you? You may be on the wrong one for you, as from past experience when I have been on them for a while, all anxiety disappears and I can face anything.

You should go to any events that you are worried about, to prove to yourself that you won't have a panic attack and that you may actually enjoy it. If you do have a panic attack, it's not the end of the world, you won't be the first or the last. Take some rescue ready or a calming product with you. Hopefully that will then get rid of that fear.

Take care and seek further help, hope you feel better soon xx

CLKD

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2019, 03:30:52 PM »

Anti-depressant medication helps depression.  Occasionally some can ease anxiety.  I have taken ADs since 1980's and have to be on them for Life.  Otherwise I wouldn't get out of bed.

However, dedicated anti-anxiety medication can knock those symptoms out ........ I use an anti-anxiety pill as necessary. 

You sound like a therapist.  Sadly anxiety doesn't work like that, panic attacks make me suicidal.  Without the emergency pill I wouldn't be here. I have had 'further help' since the 1990s.  Because my fears are deeply engrained from birth nothing works. 

Holsy

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2019, 07:53:11 AM »

So sorry to hear what you're going through CLKD.

No I'm not a therapist but have received counselling in the past, hence repeating some of the things that I was told to try. You're far more of an expert than I am.

What anti-anxiety pill do you use, if you don't mind me asking? A lot of people on here seem to be getting ADs for anxiety, the same as I was prescribed. Should I have been given an anti-anxiety pill? Do they have side effects too like everything else?

Have you ever considered hynotherapy? I know someone who has suffered traumas in her past and they were controlling her life, so she had hynotherapy and they no longer control her thoughts. I don't even think that she can recall them any more.

Kathleen

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2019, 06:31:49 PM »

Hello ladies

Ally 19 - I'm pretty sure that the anti-anxiety pill is Lorazepam which of course is very similar to Diazepam. These are available from your GP but come with warnings about addiction. I have a stash of Diazepam should I need them and my doctor told me they often work by being in your handbag!

Many of us use a combination of HRT and ADs plus of course other strategies. I think anything is worth a try when you are attempting to get back to normality!

Wishing you well.

K.

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2019, 06:38:35 PM »

Tnx Kathleen.  Exactly my words.  The last 'lorazepam' was required in Sept., I almost took one on Monday but didn't require it.  I have several left and as my GP knows that I use them wisely, he has never not prescribed them.

Some ADs do ease anxiety as well but my GP always gives anti-anxiety medication to ease symptoms immediately.  Relaxation.  Bubble baths.  Exercising.  All can ease anxiety but in the 1990s I was unable to leave the house or sit still for long so medication was essential. 

I am not a suitable candidate for hypnotherapy.  Apparently.   ::).  I worked with a therapist.  When I had talking therapy in the 1990s with a complete stranger it enabled me.  I couldn't tell you know why I went  ::).  But it allowed me to discuss, decide, ditch.

Anxiety is the pits.  It can cause dark thoughts and without medication I wouldn't be here.

Holsy

« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2019, 10:44:30 AM »

Hi Kathleen/CLKD

Thanks for the info. Have either of you ever used an AD that doesn't give you bad side effects for the first few months? If I could find one that didn't make me hallucinate (past attempts at AD) or intensify my symptoms for being on them in the first place, then I wouldn't have a problem taking them.

So I will give hypno a try first as I know this guy has had some really good results. I'm hoping that once my sleep starts to improve that it will take the edge off everything else. Reflexology is helping with that, so fingers crossed. Then just need to work on my energy.... I would get a second opinion on the hypno CLKD or even try reflexology.

If you have found a medication that works for you and allows you to lead a more normal life, then why not. It's no different than someone taking insulin for diabetes etc... Anxiety is the pits and more should be done to stop the side effects of ADs and more needs to be done to help women through the peri-meno and menopause phases. We go through enough with periods all of our lives, pregnancy etc. We don't need this too.

Thanks for your replies ladies and I wish you both well going forward. Take care of yourselves. xx

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2019, 11:04:13 AM »

Morning! 

Iniaitlly every AD made me feel sick so I had to stop.  I have anorexic tendencies so eating is a chore.  Then we fixed on one in the 1990s which worked until 2002.  I had two changes without problems and have been on regular medication since.  Escitalopram works for me ;-)

Holsy

« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2019, 11:13:19 AM »

You really have been through a bad time CLKD, I truly hope that you are much happier now and have the support that you need. :) You didn't need the menopause on top of all of that. You are a very strong lady.

I'm glad that you have found something that works for you. You xx

CLKD

« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2019, 11:20:18 AM »

:thankyou:

I'm a bit older than many on here  ::).  Anxiety since aged 3.  Depression hit in the 1980s.  It's been a struggle at times.  Without a loving husband and a very good GP I wouldn't be where I am ;-)

I don't look further than half a day at a time ........ which is why funerals etc. cause the spikes which can floor me.

Holsy

« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2019, 11:39:21 AM »

You're amazing CLKD....and you give so much back to everyone else, thank you. You're blessed to have such a loving and understanding husband, as I am too. You're lucky to have a good GP too.

I understand what you mean about funerals or anything negative like that, ill health etc. Think we all suffer with that one.

Living day by day is what all of us do on here I think, it's the only way to get by. Have a lovely afternoon sweetie, hope the sun is shining where you are....wet and dull here... :/ But waiting for the rainbows :) xx