Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Extreme Fluid Retention  (Read 2585 times)

Babyplum

• First Flush
Extreme Fluid Retention
« on: June 08, 2019, 07:24:07 AM »

Hi there. I started taking HRT 2 years ago. 2 pumps of Oestrogel and 100mg Utrogestan daily. I'm post menopausal. I had initial side-effects of breast pain and tiredness and I t took a couple of months for these to settle. But after it did, I felt better than I had done for years.

Late last year, however, I started to feel crushingly tired. My GP wouldn't take me seriously, so I asked my lovely gynaecologist for advice and she referred me to an endocrinologist. He found that I was borderline hypothyroid and has prescribed Levothyroxine 50ug. I've been taking this for 8 weeks. In fairness, in the last 2, my energy has improved quite a bit although it's nowhere near normal.

However, in the last 2-3 weeks I've developed something of a fluid retention problem. My whole body feels very puffy and feel very uncomfortable. My abdomen is often swollen, as are my legs and boobs. Any idea what's going on and how to sort it? I don't weigh myself but am sure I've put weight on, which seems odd. Also, my clothes are tight.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Extreme Fluid Retention
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2019, 08:40:22 AM »

What does it suggest in the leaflet with the product?

Have you altered your HRT at all?  Maybe put the product into the search box to see what pops up, until someone comes along with more knowledge.  Make notes!

Or go to see a Pharmacist to see if there are any contra-indications to mix the drugs?  It can take a while to get thyroid levels 'correct' and some GPs don't take this hormone upheaval with seriousness!

R U due to go back to the endocrinologist, I would ring his secretary and ask for advice!

Babyplum

• First Flush
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2019, 10:06:46 AM »

Thanks CLKD. The leaflet says oestrogen containing medicines for hormone replacement therapy (HRT) and contraception (the “pill”) may affect the way Levothyroxine works. I don't see fluid retention or weight gain as possible side effects. 

I'm due to see my endocrinologist in another couple of weeks. I may try to see my GP again meantime.

CLKD

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2019, 10:31:17 AM »

Let us know how you get on.  Drink plenty as this encourages the kidneys to work correctly  ;) and exercise gently which can distribute any oedema. 

R your calves puffy, if you press a finger into the area does the skin bounce back?

Babyplum

• First Flush
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2019, 10:46:37 AM »

Okay, thank you 🙏🏽 Will do. My legs do feel tight but when I press my calves it doesn't leave an imprint. I'll keep you posted!

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2019, 10:53:36 AM »

Yep!