Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 17

Author Topic: Plastics / Climate change  (Read 49303 times)

sheila99

Re: Plastics / Climate change
« Reply #90 on: October 07, 2019, 04:24:44 PM »

Lamb from New Zealand - in the dim and distant past it made sense as our lamb was seasonal. For many years now our lamb has been available year round so now we export a third of our lamb crop to Europe while we import it from half way round the world.
We export big red apples to Europe whilst importing smaller red apples. There are crops we can't grow here but for food we can produce why can't we just eat what we produce?

Sparrow

« Reply #91 on: October 07, 2019, 04:38:20 PM »

We do, but there is not enough of it. 

Have you been watching the program on the BBC about food imports and exports?  I've only seen some of it so far but very interesting.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #92 on: October 07, 2019, 06:00:16 PM »

With Ed Balls?  It's been interesting.  I would like to see it again.

In the mid-1980s I had a dog.  Every morning whilst she was running free across the fields I picked up 2 plastic store bags full of rubbish.  Every morning for 4 weeks then I stopped.  It was like someone was walking behind dropping more  >:( and once a man told me that he did - but that was not only freaky but several years later  :-\.

Kids would have cider parties on the public footpaths and leave bottles etc., sometimes in carriers so why not take it to the bins by the shop where they bought the cider  :-\.  I tackled a group who I had watched growing up and they hadn't even considered taking their rubbish with them!

The same public footpaths have the same amounts of rubbish left beside them.  It makes me really angry when we have travellers pitch up and the Council complain about how much it costs to clear up but refuse to give them bins .........  :-\

Apparently some of the 'recyclable' plastic bags are breaking down in2 very small pieces and causing problems  :-\ ???

Sparrow

« Reply #93 on: October 07, 2019, 08:11:36 PM »

It's on now.  All about seafood this week. 🦀🐟🐠

sheila99

« Reply #94 on: October 07, 2019, 08:16:32 PM »

We don't. We export our own lamb and import it from NZ. What environmentalist could think that's a good thing?
Same with beef, fish, cheese and apples. Probably much else too, these are just the obvious ones.
Remember when feeding waste food to pigs was banned here? So for several months we exported it to Holland so they could feed it to their pigs, then we imported the pigs.

Sparrow

« Reply #95 on: October 07, 2019, 08:58:07 PM »

We don't. We export our own lamb and import it from NZ. What environmentalist could think that's a good thing?
Same with beef, fish, cheese and apples. Probably much else too, these are just the obvious ones.
Remember when feeding waste food to pigs was banned here? So for several months we exported it to Holland so they could feed it to their pigs, then we imported the pigs.

Well I only buy NZ lamb when British lamb is not available.  Had Welsh lamb on Sunday.

If you take a look at the programme CLKD and I have mentioned you will see it's not that straightforward. You have to take supply, demand and profit into the equation, otherwise the system doesn't work.

Sparrow

« Reply #96 on: October 07, 2019, 09:05:01 PM »

http://beefandlamb.ahdb.org.uk/market-intelligence-news/uk-lamb-trade-balances/

This site has the relevant information you might be interested in.

CLKD

« Reply #97 on: October 08, 2019, 08:19:59 AM »

Why target me  :-\ -

Profit, that's the word.  I suppose that the planes were flying anyway so carting salmon to the US makes a little sense as it helps the GDP [?].  But live crabs to China ...........  :-\ why not sell them to the British?  A few years ago we were in Scotland and the fishermen had vans on the Quay, langoustine were put into crates and flown to Spain. None touched UK soil apart from those that were given to us for our anniversary meal.  Interesting that scampi is supposedly the tails  ???

How do environmentalists square bringing Cities to a halt with demands and threatening behaviour when the UK is flying out/in various food products?  I bet not many of those protesting have watched his programmes.  Last night was really interesting but I wouldn't be eating farmed salmon .......... OK hand feeding but our fish will eat and eat and ..........  :-\.  It is cruel to keep a migratory animal in one place [I kept quail for 2 years and wondered about those  :-\]. 

I would like to watch those programmes again, wonder if they will be put onto video or what ever the current medium  :D is ? 

What does it take B4 the police Read the Riot Act?

Sparrow

« Reply #98 on: October 08, 2019, 08:22:39 AM »

Why am I targeting you??

Sorry, you have lost me, I was just pointing out a programme we have both mentioned we have watched. :o

CLKD

« Reply #99 on: October 08, 2019, 12:09:01 PM »

Last night's programme should be shown on large screens across London right now.  Explaining how much we export/import and how it is unlikely that these people bringing our Capital to a halt will change the way that Commerce works  ::).

Crabs are land-living critters, I think it's cruel to fly them across the World  ;D

sheila99

« Reply #100 on: October 08, 2019, 05:20:14 PM »

Thanks for the link shady, it shows just how much we import from the other side of the world when we could consume our own. It even points out NZ lamb was sold in June and July when there's plenty of UK lamb just to hold farm gate prices down.

This one tells you the supermarkets that sell British lamb year round https://www.fwi.co.uk/business/markets-and-trends/meat-prices/lamb-watch-which-are-the-best-retailers-for-backing-british

Sparrow

« Reply #101 on: October 08, 2019, 07:56:39 PM »

Okay 👌, will take a look later.

CLKD

« Reply #102 on: October 08, 2019, 08:01:29 PM »

We have so much knowledge here.  Tnx for sharing.

Sparrow

« Reply #103 on: October 08, 2019, 09:45:25 PM »

That's interesting information.  I shop in Waitrose anyway as it's our nearest supermarket.  Just 10 minutes walk away.

Really surprised at M&S.  I'd have thought they would do better.

CLKD

« Reply #104 on: October 15, 2019, 12:29:12 PM »

Last night's programme was the last, about vehicle movements around the World. 
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 17