Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Running with joint aches and pains  (Read 2004 times)

lizzog

Running with joint aches and pains
« on: May 26, 2019, 10:40:27 AM »

Anyone on here run? I started running to improve my lungs mainly and have seen a massive improvement so don't want to stop. I'm only up to a slow 6k so won't be running marathons at any point.
The last few weeks I've seen a big dip in my oestrogen levels (this is my theory) and despite taking oestrogel I'm getting some breakthrough symptoms including joint aches, pains and terrible stiffness.
I've reduced the frequency and distance of my runs as I am finding I'm getting niggling pains.
Anyone else here run and any advice to give?

jaypo

Re: Running with joint aches and pains
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2019, 01:03:01 PM »

Hi there, I used to love running,it made me feel great, I mean REALLY great,was a chore some days but once I'd done it I felt fab.like you I only ever did 5 k roughly 3 times a week but gradually I got foot problems,wore the best trainers you could get with all the protection but unfortunately had to give it up,ultimately needed an op on my foot which is no better,sorry if that's a bit doom and gloom but I now go walking instead.
Thing is you see 70+ year olds running with no problems,I'm 55 and hobble about like an old un😏
What I would say is run with smaller steps,I used to fly down hills and over rough terrain,not advisable.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2019, 02:23:14 PM »

What is the running doing for you, is it the adrenaline 'hi' that you like? 

Running is bad for the human frame.  Joints are not designed for it.  We are hunter gatherers who would run in short bursts towards food or away from the Sabre tooth tiger.

Brisk walking is better or Nordik walking but I have yet to see any one doing it correctly  ::).  Some do short bursts of running in-between stretches and brisk walking.  Depends too on the terrain.

As oestrogen levels drop muscles may become lax = aches and pains.  Does taking a pain relief 20 mins. B4 starting out help?

lizzog

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2019, 04:53:59 PM »

Yes I do like the high from it but mainly the improvements I've seen in my lungs. I've had no problems at all until recently from my joints which is my frustration.
Not sure about the advice about joints- the recent programme about the menopause said that running was one of the best forms of exercise for the menopause- so much conflicting advice!
I do Pilates yoga and am going to add in a gym session for strength work so aiming to keep 1-2 runs a week. I'll stop if I see no improvement over the next few months, but feel reluctant to do so because of the purported benefits and the ones I've seen with my lungs.

CLKD

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2019, 06:02:29 PM »

No one seems to have seen the X-rays of a regular runner in the papers recently  :-\ ........ the damage done was horrendous! 

Little steps ;-)

Kimdg

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2019, 06:06:19 PM »

Hi.  I ran same amount, about 5k three times a week.  Hit menopause and joint pain and damaged Achilles‘ tendon. Stopped running for a year.  Got hrt: oestrogel and Utrogestan.  It took a while to get the right balance. I had to tweak it until all aches went and then went back to running.  Couldn't agree more the health benefits are amazing but for me it's like meditation.  I love it.  I'm 55 and hope to carry on for as long as possible.  Hope that helps.

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2019, 06:09:25 PM »

I suppose if it hurts, stop ? as pain is a warning.

jaypo

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2019, 06:12:17 PM »

I agree 100% if it's hurting now,it's not going to get better,wish I'd listened to my body😟

lizzog

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2019, 07:08:11 PM »

The pains I'm getting are more of stiffness that seem linked to the other low estrogen symptoms I've been having and also being hyper mobile. I always listen to my body and would never run through bad pain but this isn't like that.
Will be nice and steady!

jaypo

« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2019, 07:09:09 PM »

😊👍

sheila99

« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2019, 08:26:26 PM »

What about swimming or cycling? You might get the same benefit to you lungs without putting so much strain on your joints. I agree pain is a warning and running with pain is likely to lead to damage. For some people pain goes when oestrogen levels have improved, for me I needed testosterone too. I don't run (except when the sheep have escaped) but I am fairly active.

CLKD

« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2019, 09:21:18 PM »

'except when the sheep have escape' - may I giggle  :D

'Photos ?  ;)

Cycling is OK as long as there aren't any pot holes  :o

AG

« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2019, 08:25:52 AM »

I have been running long distances (marathon and longer races) and have now been running for well over 10 years three times a week, now nearly 50 and in late peri. I have had occasional joint stiffness but the one thing that has helped with symptoms for me is exercise. For running I run off road and during summer months I cycle once a week and do some weight training throughout. I also like walking but in terms of training effect walking does not do the same thing. I know many runners well into their 60's who have no issues running. AG

lizzog

« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2019, 11:37:33 AM »

Thanks AG. I agree I think it's probably best to do some cross training as opposed to just running. That's what I'm aiming for!

AG

« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2019, 01:56:47 PM »

Hi, yes, the older one gets the more important it is to preserve muscle mass in my view, and if I did not do regular strength training I'd likely get injured. Eating plenty of protein and in general less sugar etc may help as well and I have also added more nuts and fish and plain yoghurt. I'll have to see how it goes with once post meno since persistently low estrogen levels may cause other issues but other than the odd off days for my joints when basically the whole body hurts (likely due to hormones playing up) things are fine. All the best, AG
Pages: [1] 2