Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Author Topic: Help with alcohol allergy  (Read 2468 times)

Lins

Help with alcohol allergy
« on: May 13, 2019, 07:08:10 PM »

Hi I'm new to the forum and I'm now on hrt patches called estradot which have really improved my symptoms.  However I have a weird thing going on as soon as I've had even 1 glass of wine or anything alcohol based.  It's fine for an hour or so but then it's like I've got a very nasty cold, nose running like a tap and sneezing repeatedly- maybe it's a coincidence but I wonder if anyone else has experienced similar issues?  Any help would be appreciated.

allie007

Re: Help with alcohol allergy
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2019, 05:34:50 AM »

Hi Lins

Glad the Estradot is working for you. Im on Estradot 100 and although I don't have the same symptoms as you, after one glass of wine I get a hangover the following morning. I didn't get that when I was using Estrogel.
I used to really love a few glasses of wine at the end of week but now I hardly bother.

xx

katsclaws

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2019, 06:44:10 AM »

It could be the sulphites in  the wine. You can buy sulphite free wine.

Shadyglade

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2019, 07:30:44 AM »

Is it just wine. Try gin or vodka and see if the same happens.

catlover68

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2019, 08:26:00 AM »

When I was taking hrt I just couldn't tolerate any alcohol at all. I found this so hard as I used to enjoy a glass or two at the weekend but unfortunately it just doesn't agree with me anymore,another pleasure robbed by this menopause🙄I'm not on hrt any longer and alcohol still doesn't agree with me so I just don't bother with it anymore. A lot of my friends drink and this is difficult as they don't understand why I choose not to drink and always get comments like ‘Surely you can manage a glass of wine'no because I know I'll have a headache within an hour! As another poster has mentioned try gin or vodka and see how you get on xx

JaneinPen

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2019, 10:35:30 AM »

Hi I'm new to the forum and I'm now on hrt patches called estradot which have really improved my symptoms.  However I have a weird thing going on as soon as I've had even 1 glass of wine or anything alcohol based.  It's fine for an hour or so but then it's like I've got a very nasty cold, nose running like a tap and sneezing repeatedly- maybe it's a coincidence but I wonder if anyone else has experienced similar issues?  Any help would be appreciated.
  :welcomemm: Libs.  Try taking an antihistamine tablet before you drink next time. It works for my daughter who has problems, not to do with the Meno but to whatever can be in wine and they definitely work for her. If she doesn't take one she is like you with the symptoms

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2019, 11:13:53 AM »

Stop drinking  :-\.  How much do you need alcohol in your Life right now?  Some find that they develop sensitivity to alcohol during 'the change'.

:welcomemm:  ........

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2019, 04:39:30 PM »

DH will wander to the drinks section in a supermarket, he knows that he will find me in the magazine aisle  ;D

ElkWarning

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2019, 06:18:56 PM »

:welcomemm: Libs.  Try taking an antihistamine tablet before you drink next time. It works for my daughter who has problems, not to do with the Meno but to whatever can be in wine and they definitely work for her. If she doesn't take one she is like you with the symptoms

Hi, please don't do the antihistamine, they interact with the alcohol and it can be potentially life threatening - daughter with hay fever required an ambulance after three glasses of wine.

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2019, 07:17:36 PM »

That crossed my mind too ElkWarning - they don't mix!

Perinowpost

« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2019, 07:33:57 PM »

I can't drink spirits (make me feel terrible) but am ok with beer or a couple of glasses of wine. Although I can't drink at all whilst taking Utrogestan- the two just don't mix x

Annie0710

« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2019, 09:39:36 PM »

I suffered during peri with alcohol (it made me feel sick)  but am back on it again successfully since being post meno  !! Mind you I still only need 2 or 3 to feel really tipsy

My friend who is 48 and peri has developed a mild reaction to wine.  She was explaining her symptoms to me and describes feeling like her teeth are loose and the gums are raw (very much same symptoms to me lately when I eat dairy) x
« Last Edit: May 15, 2019, 10:03:48 AM by Annie0710 »

JaneinPen

« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2019, 07:44:35 AM »

Hi, please don't do the antihistamine, they interact with the alcohol and it can be potentially life threatening - daughter with hay fever required an ambulance after three glasses of wine.
It does depend on what you take and of course how much you drink. My daughter talked to the doctor and the pharmacist before taking the over the counter cetrizine.  She isn't a regular imbiber but if at a wedding or celebration enjoys a glass of wine

Nannyneet

« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2019, 08:30:22 PM »

I have a reaction to alcohol since starting to go through the menopause,I get a really red itchy burning face,I spoke to a pharmacist and he said I could take an antihistamine so long as I wasn't drinking enough to get drunk, when If I'm out for a meal I will usually have one or two drinks and I take an allergy tablet before I go out,I'm not on HRT