Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: How long to give Utrogestan to “settle”?  (Read 1616 times)

Demelza

• First Flush
How long to give Utrogestan to “settle”?
« on: May 11, 2019, 09:43:18 AM »

Hi ladies, I have been taking nightly Utrogestan for peri symptoms since the beginning of April. I was finding that it was causing me to have a very dry mouth and I was waking several times at night because of this. As per advice on here I tried taking it vaginally to see if it made a difference but it didn't so I stopped taking it after three weeks and had a bleed. I then thought that maybe I should give it more time and that this side effect might settle so I restarted it. Unfortunately the dry mouth has become much worse and yesterday I was so uncomfortable with it that I decided I couldn't stick it any longer and would stop the Utro altogether. I've also been feeling tired during the day even though I take it at night.
One of my worse peri symptoms was dreadful headaches and migraines and these have reduced dramatically  since taking the Utro, but I can't stand the dry mouth.
I've searched the boards and can't find that this has been discussed before - has anyone else had side effects which have gone after time? If so, how long did it take?

Nik2502

Re: How long to give Utrogestan to “settle”?
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2019, 01:23:54 PM »

Hi

I've not had a dry mouth from utrogestan but a whole raft of other side effects - ovarian pain, severely heavy bleeding, low mood, exhaustion.
I've been on it for nine months just recently changing from sequential to continuous and I can't cope with it any more - It just doesn't suit me so I've stopped using it.
I will see doctor to prescribe something else so the merry go round begins again!

NinaH

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2019, 03:04:58 PM »

Hello! I did have this initially but I no longer notice it. I've been on it for a few years now. The only thing that hasn't gone away is increased peeing but I put up with that because overall I think it's brilliant

racjen

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2019, 05:57:40 PM »

I had insomnia and increasing depression from utrogestan and it didn't improve over a period of 6 months or so. I've now switched to Provera and so far (only one month) it's much much better for me.

sheila99

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2019, 08:44:53 PM »

I get tired on it but not a dry mouth. If you're peri surely you should be taking it cyclically (200 for 12 days) rather than continuously?

juliemargaret

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2019, 07:40:19 PM »

Hi all..im.peri.and was.advised.on alternate day 100mg Utro vaginally. Seems.not all peri women are on sequi regimes (lots of posts in the forum.re such and peri women on alternate days utro) - sometimes when i see posts thatbsay 'if youre peri you Should' be on sequi/cyclical'it makes me worry. I think regimes are.changing and one size doesnt fit all. X

flower66

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2019, 07:07:02 AM »

I've been taking utrogestan for 6 months with the oestrogel. All good for the first 4 months apart from feeling like a zombie each morning.  I've since been bleeding on and off, heavy and painful.  I am considering stopping it and seeing how I feel in a couple of months time. I have an appointment with my go next week, I'm hoping she'll have some answers as I am completely drained 😔

Sgtvhilts

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2019, 11:31:13 AM »

I lasted 5 days on utrogestan! Send me around the bend.
Now use Femeston- has dydrogestrone in it- much better for me. I top up with a patch.

Elmsey

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2019, 04:20:43 PM »

I lasted 5 days on utrogestan! Send me around the bend.
Now use Femeston- has dydrogestrone in it- much better for me. I top up with a patch.

When you say that you top up with a patch, do you mean an estrogen only patch or a combined one?

I have had problems with utro.  currently waiting for a mirena, but worried.

Tc

« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2019, 04:34:11 PM »

I have just posted today about utrogestan and asking other ladies about alternatives.
I've been struggeling with it for 6 months.
Thought I might add though that my eastrogen level is low and I think this can cause dry mouth and eyes.
Also are you taking an antihistamine. They dry all your mucous membranes up. Since meno I've had to stop taking mine because of this
Xxxx

Sgtvhilts

« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2019, 08:07:36 PM »

Hi elmsley,
I've been around the houses a bit with HRT, but finally went back to the drawing board with
Femeston sequi 1mg, but as symptoms didn't go away, I had a ‘fit' and an evorel  100mcg patch accidentally ‘ got stuck to my butt (pack in cupboard from previous regime)
My GP has agreed to a 75mcg prescription along with the Femeston 1mg
Seems to be working.
So yes Oestrogen only patch and I get the progesterone from the Femeston.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2019, 08:09:12 PM by Sgtvhilts »

Kiimy

• First Flush
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2022, 07:35:19 AM »

Hello
I took utrogeston for 8 days and had to come off it as the negative symptoms were so bad
Incredibly dry mouth, servers fatigue
nausea , acid reflux and was sick a couple of times + loss of appetite
Only been off it 3.5 days (Went back to femoston continue)and still suffering with the dry mouth symptoms although not as bad
Anyone know how long it takes for the dry mouth to subside as it’s not pleasant ?