Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Anxiety and throat  (Read 3282 times)

K8Y

Anxiety and throat
« on: May 07, 2019, 07:39:54 PM »

Is it my anxiety but my throat is awful, feels a little sore but mostly feels big, burning, thick but with little hole . Having tummy issues in that I think something odd is going on and awaiting a pelvic ultrasound but the tight throat is driving my anxiety into overdrive. I just don't know if all these things are peri or something serious wrong with me. Think my anxiety is up as scan next Friday and worried with what they might find . Anyone else have this throat issue

Tc

Re: Anxiety and throat
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2019, 07:50:54 PM »

K8Y. Sorry you are feeling so rough. Anxiety can cause the tight throat  it can feel like its closing over or even that you cant swallow properly.  if you arern t having any trouble swallowing food it's most likely the anxiety.
Do you practice any relaxation techniques. Breathing etc. ? I was once given the tip to sit on an upright chair and grasp your hands behind the back of it and then practice mindful breathing. It helps open the chest and airways

Also, do you have acid reflux. This can cause sore throat and burning sensation.
Hope you get on o.k with your scan x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2019, 08:02:10 PM »

Acid reflux was my first thought.  I have allergic rhinitis too so my mouth and throat are always sore.

kwaddilove

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2019, 08:06:22 PM »

I have a thick sore throat, it's probably a virus?

K8Y

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2019, 08:07:47 PM »

Oh I don't know. Have had a burning sensation under breasts area recently but thought just anxiety. I don't know what heartburn etc feel like as honestly before the end of last year I only ever got colds on a rare occasion and now I seem to have a different issue every day  :'(

I might google it tomorrow as don't want to before bed as I will not sleep. Thank you x

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2019, 08:19:07 PM »

Don't google. 

Indigestion feels like a lump behind the breast bone.  Reflux for me is a lot of extra savilva followed by burning from behind the breast bone which works it's way upwards ........... when bad it gets into my ears, chin - DH rubs my back to shift the wind which we can feel moving.

If I eat too close to going to bed it starts.   :-\

Tc

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2019, 09:00:04 PM »

Good point about the sinuses too. Post nasal drip when laying down can make your throat realy sore and sometimes hoarse.
Stress can make you produce more stomach acid. You can have reflux without the other indigestion feelings. I dont know what other meds you are on but some can cause it.xx

helenmelon

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2019, 09:13:58 PM »

K8Y, I had exactly the same, I felt as if I couldn't swallow properly, as if it was swelling up for no reason. I had an endoscopy to check everything and nothing serious found apart from a very small amount of acid reflux redness but absolutely no damage.

It's definitely anxiety and the more I thought about it the worse it became. I used to suck ice lollies as that was the only way to make it feel ok. Once I'd been given the all clear it did get a bit better.

I hope it goes away soon for you.

DownDillie

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2019, 09:17:21 PM »

A few years back I was also investigated for a sore throat, trouble swallowing, lump in my throat. I think I was in peri at that stage but didn't realise it - I had anxiety over numerous things. There was nothing wrong with me. The consultant did say that as we get older, all our muscles slacken including our throat muscles. (Though I think that was partly due to kindness, maybe she sensed it was just health anxiety.)

I should imagine it's just anxiety. I've just stressed myself out over a different health issue. Hope you feel better soon and try to find ways to relax / de-stress. I intend to get more exercise and generally stop neglecting this old body of mine. And I'm going to get back to meditation, even if it's only a few minutes in the morning.

donnacrichton

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2019, 02:31:54 PM »

I have this but didn't know how to describe it. It usually disappears after a few weeks and is worse when hormo as are fluctuating. X

marge

« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2019, 08:48:32 PM »

Does anyone still have this? I've had a stingy throat for 3 weeks. Bit of acid reflux too. Not usually a sufferer, so thinking anxiety related?

CLKD

« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2019, 07:39:24 AM »

Reflux!  don'ts have to be anxiety related.

As oestrogen levels drop so muscles may become lax = hiatus hernia.

AnnieR66

« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2019, 01:48:15 PM »

Hi everyone,
I have had this tight throat for 7 years now.
In fact it was one of my first symptoms. I have realised now it must be anxiety related.
When I first went on hrt patches  2 years ago it went back to normal within days, but that only lasted for 2 months!?

I also have heartburn/acid problems and certain things burn my throat.
Sorry I can't help but you are not alone in this! :(

BlueButterfly

« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2019, 04:40:39 PM »

I had the lump in the throat/tight throat feeling and definitely anxiety related but even when I thought I was feeling calm, still had it. I couldn't eat because I didn't feel or think I could swallow anything. It felt like everything was going to get stuck.

Honestly, it was acupuncture that helped me get rid of it....I don't really care if it was a placebo effect or what but it really did help and was amazing. It's called Plum Pit Qi in ancient Chinese medicine. Essentially it can be like a muscle spasm in the throat from stress, etc. It helped me...felt a difference after the first session and a couple more sessions I felt pretty normal. Regular doctors weren't really helping me out with it so I figured why not. Not saying it'll work for everyone and I know it's a bit unconventional but figured, at least Chinese medicine has a name for it!  I still get it sometimes but it doesn't cause me anxiety like it used to and I will just go back for acupuncture if it does become constant and annoying again.

marge

« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2019, 08:54:52 PM »

How did your scan go K8Y? Hope all is ok.