Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Dry skin and hair anyone?  (Read 2924 times)

Bananacarnival

Dry skin and hair anyone?
« on: April 15, 2019, 09:59:55 PM »

Hi,
I'm wondering if this is meno related. In the past year I've noticed that my hair is unbelievably dry but now my skin on my hands and feet is getting worse all the time.
My heels are completely cracked and don't respond to treatment, but now my hands are so old looking its unreal.

Anyone experience anything familiar?

Thanks

Rosie77

Re: Dry skin and hair anyone?
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2019, 10:15:45 PM »

Hello!

Yes indeed!  Very thin skin on my hands, gross veins... and my nails have ridges  >:(
I use vitamin E oil on my arms, hands, legs and feet! 

lillith112

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2019, 10:17:31 PM »

Not my hair so much but my hands and face are dry, I am forever putting  hand cream on. I also have dry eyes and have gone very dry in the lady department, I think its the lack of estrogen that causes this.

Bananacarnival

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2019, 06:08:24 AM »

Thanks everyone I'm clearly not alone! It's really hard to manage...
Oddly my skin appears to be getting darker too.
I'm 47...

Spangles

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2019, 06:30:16 AM »

I'm 51 and my skin is dry and thin, I now have small liver spots and pimples and skin tags. Horrible and nothing works! I have tried a few subbed sessions lately, not something I have ever done and won't be continuing with. I used the beds to see if it made any difference and I must say that it has improves the appear of my skin. Also I go away on Thursday so I did it to try and minimise ****ly heat, a friend of mine said it helped her ****ly heat no end so I shall wait and see.
xXx

Butterfly22

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2019, 07:28:17 AM »

I'm the same has been very noticeable over the last year and I'm normally so oily. I'm on hrt but thought may be that so had Estrogen test and levels are low so it's that. Xx

Turkish delight

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2019, 09:42:44 AM »

Yes and Yes to both!

Have you tried the thick emollient creams like Nivea, E45?

For the hair a hair mask, bought or natural, loads of homemade recipes on youtube.

TD

suzysunday

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2019, 10:03:00 AM »

Yes all of the above. Constant maintenance needed everywhere.  Life has got very dull!

Tc

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2019, 03:09:15 PM »

Yes banana. I have too. All over but Face Hands and feet particularly  and hair. My hair has been falling out but although it has always been fine it used to be baby soft. Now it's like straw. My face feels rough and dry and "reddened" it feels weather beaten   And I hate looking at the backs of my hands!! My toes  look like I've been in the bath too long and my toenails are so dry and brittle. So attractive.!!! What a catch I am!!

My eastrogen is also very low despite  being on HRT. So maybe it's the key. It realy does feel like the dryness is from inside out. I'm having womens physio and she explained that lack of collagen can cause the pelvic floor to weaken and she said it is linked to low eastrogen. So probably collagen is at play with our skin too.

Lillith112. Are you able to use eastrogen cream for the lady bits. It helps ladies in varying degrees but if you can use it it would seem it can make a difference. It has to me on the "outside" bits .
X

Pink68

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2019, 07:45:46 PM »

Hi I will be 51 in a few weeks and I find the skin on my face has become really dry and shedding, even on my ears! 😳 dry eyes and dry brittle hair with a lot of shedding.
Tried lots of creams but they don't really help. X

Bananacarnival

« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2019, 11:58:26 AM »

Thanks again everyone so reassuring though sad to see others in the same boat... This week I've started bleeding again which is two weeks after the last one. So I have that drama to deal with too...
My hands were once so pretty! I've ordered some sea buck thorn supplements, thanks for the good advice everyone.
X

MicheleMaBelle

« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2019, 03:58:26 PM »

Hi BC- I've had similar problems and yes, I think it's down to less oestrogen even although I'm on HRT. My skins got much better since using Medik8 products. A vitamin B serum, followed by Vitamin C oil ( not greasy ) and a night cream ( yip, even during the day )
My beautician had recommended them and they've been great.
Don't get me started on the hair thing...I've got my stock than Salon Services.
Anyway, after suffering terrible dry hair, thinning hair, increased hair loss for a couple of years now, I eventually went to a trichologist last week. He wouldn't see me until I got blood test results ( medichecks private lab- fantastic) Lo and behold, I have low ferritin levels but I'm not anaemic, and my Vitamin B levels are also not where they should be for hair health but are within normal ranges. Also I have elevated prolactin levels which may be causing hair loss.
I've had to throw some money at it but nothing was making a difference and I've spent a fortune on products over the past few years.

Maybe it's worth getting your bloods done with your GP to check for things like thyroid function and ferritin levels.
The menopause is certainly the gift that keeps on giving!

Noheroicsplease

« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2019, 07:01:06 PM »

MichelleMaBelle - My hair fell out when I had low ferritin but no anaemia. I had seriously low ferritin - ended up taking ferrous fumerate 2 or 3 times a day. Took months but it stopped and growth started.

MicheleMaBelle

« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2019, 08:56:00 PM »

Good to know noheroics. Is it gentle on the stomach? Got a problem with Iron supplements as have IBS.