Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Dry Eyes  (Read 5151 times)

Beaker

Dry Eyes
« on: March 15, 2019, 07:07:17 AM »

Hi, has anyone got any tip for incredibly dry irritable eyes? I will ask my pharmacist for advice but wanted to ask if any of you had tried anything that actually works as I value your opinions. My eyes get dry, red and itchy in the evenings. I use allergy eye drops which help somewhat but the eyes remain incredibly dry.

Shadyglade

Re: Dry Eyes
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2019, 07:29:09 AM »

I use eye spray for dry irritated eyes. It works very well. I couldn't get on with drops but my optician said the spray was developed for people with parkinsons and works just as well.  Optimist is good but I am using the Boots one, at the moment. It's a bit wetter but a lot cheaper.

jaypo

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2019, 08:38:00 AM »

I just use Tesco own eye drops but the behind the counter one and use it at night as my eyes are sooooo dry in the mornings.own brand is just as good as the well known brands btw,same ingredients,so be aware.The spray one is very good but a bit more pricey,great if you don't like drops

Beaker

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2019, 08:46:16 AM »

Thank you all for your advice. I'm definitely going to try all your suggestions in turn until I hit paydirt! I'm v.grateful x

Milamam

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2019, 11:45:23 AM »

Hi Baker,
I had a severe flair up of dry eyes this December, for about a month. I think it is related (for me) with drop of hormones, because at that time I also had other symptoms.

In short, what worked for me:
Hot clean compress/ towel on eyes as soon as the irritation becomes unbearable;
No make up
Cleaning eyelids gently with warm baby soap and water;
Systain Balance eyedrops - or any eyedrops that also contain a lipid component in .
A strong high-dose Omega 3, daily, for 3 months at least.
And continue with hot towel on eyes as this brought the best relief.

I hope this issue resolves soon for you!
Milamam

Beaker

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2019, 07:06:04 AM »

Hi Milaman,
Thanks for your advice.
I tried the hot towel and it was lovely! It's funny- I never thought of using heat but it seems to work better than cold things.
I'm going to add Omega 3 too.

Milamam

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2019, 08:59:02 AM »

Hi , I am so glad it helped! You can do hot towels as many times a day as you need - this was actually the most relieving thing for me. Try to keep them up for 5-10 min at least, and gently push/massage  your eyelid rims so that if there is any clogged material (which causes the dryness) is pushed away and cleaned.

Dry eyes can be so excrutiating, many people don't understand how debilitating it can be until it happens!

I hope you will feel better very soon,
Milamam xxx

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2019, 09:05:42 AM »

As oestrogen levels drop the body may become dry, inside and out.  Do read the threads on vaginal atrophy ......... forewarned is forearmed!

Beaker

« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2019, 07:53:14 AM »

Yes CLKD - I seem to have hit the jackpot of dryness - everywhere. I am on a repeat prescription of twice weekly Vagifem which just about keeps the problem in check.  I was miserable until I started using it and even walking was uncomfortable.  Menopause has a way of leaving you feel like a dried out husk. Weirdly neither of my two sisters (one of whom is my twin and the other is five years older than me) have suffered from these symptoms - just hot flushes for my older sister and my twin gets a surge of rage now and again but no physical problems at all!

Thanks again to all again for the “tea and sympathy” and great advice.

Dotty

« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2019, 08:01:24 AM »

Hi I was prescribed Viscotears Liquid Gel by a consultant at hospital when my eye problems started x

Beaker

« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2019, 08:17:29 AM »

Thanks Dotty. I'll add this to the list of suggestions and persist until the problem goes away.

Shadyglade

« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2019, 09:50:52 AM »

Hi I was prescribed Viscotears Liquid Gel by a consultant at hospital when my eye problems started x

Oh, I know this product well. Used it for my long departed Westie, who had dry eye syndrome. I used to get it from the chemist as it was cheaper than the vets.  I will never forget the look on the assistants face, when asking if I had used it before, and I said 'no it's for the dog'.  :scottie:

Beaker

« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2019, 03:38:10 PM »

;D

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2019, 04:32:11 PM »

;D. dry eyes has a long name beginning with a 'k' ...... it rolled off the Vet's tongue, no problems at all.  Me, I can't even spell the condition  ;D

My eyes vary.  Some days OK; others dry and itchy; at night they can itch and run ......

...... as 4 the vagina  >:(  ::) - 4 me it was like razor blades up there  :o

Beaker

« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2019, 07:41:50 PM »

Yes CLKD.  I had to say that I felt I had broken shards of glass inside which cut me when I walked before I was listened to.
Pages: [1] 2