Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Doctors & Appts  (Read 721 times)

Yorkshire Girl

Doctors & Appts
« on: February 14, 2019, 04:56:39 PM »

Hi you lovely ladies
As some of you are aware my wonderful GP wanted to test my testosterone levels and said she would be in touch if the blood results showed a problem.
A week last monday I had a blood test done for testosterone levels, I honestly thought that because I had only just stopped Tibolone it wouldn't necessarily be accurate. Last Friday I got a call from the surgery wanting to arrange a telephone consultation with my GP this is where it gets disappointing, and I'm sure most of you have the same problem, the appt is not until next thursday. I don't want to wish away time but I really want to know, it's obvious that my testosterone levels must be low & want to know what will happen next as I have no idea. Does anyone know much about levels of testosterone? I've googled it but wasn't much help!!

Hurdity

Re: Doctors & Appts
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2019, 09:15:30 AM »

Hi Yorkshire Girl

Testing testosterone levels in women is controversial in the sense that there is no test specifically designed for women so the same test is used as for men - but since our T levels are at the bottom end of the measurement scale - they are not sufficiently accurate to detect subtle differences. However there is a reference range which will vary between different labs. More important to measure in terms of symptoms anyway, is the Free Androgen Index (FAI) - so they should have measured a compound called SHBG (Sex Hormoine Binding Globulin) and there is a formula for calculating Free Androgen Index from total T and SHBG which I have put on other threads and can find if you want.

Depending on how long after you dstopped Tibolone the blood tests were taken - as you say you may not get an accurate result. From what I recall ( haven't looked it up recently!) as well as (one of the Tibolone breakdown products) acting on androgen receptors in the same way as T itself does, Tibolone reduces SHBG and thereby increases free T. Hopefully I've remembered correctly!

Sorry I can't remember your story  but yes the doc should go by symptoms and not the blood tests. However despite their inaccuracy T levels should be tested after repclaemnt with T itself just to check there is no overdosing as levels need to be kept well within the phyisiological range for women.

I am assuming as it is not an urgent health problem as such the doc has scheduled the telephone consultation accordingly but I can see how frustrating that is for you!

Hope this helps and do report back what the outcome is.

Hurdity x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Doctors & Appts
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2019, 03:46:55 PM »

If it were urgent or should you require treatment etc. hopefully the GP would have asked you to the surgery.  Otherwise, I wouldn't expect there to be a problem.  Maybe have a list of symptoms/queries ready for that 'phone call?