Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10

Author Topic: Femseven conti discontinued  (Read 31205 times)

KiltedCupid

Re: Femseven conti discontinued
« Reply #120 on: October 28, 2019, 08:55:31 PM »

I really hope so too Jaycee but I have my doubts. Any delivery change must surely have a knock on effect on the receiving end and for those very sensitive to changes it could make a difference. On the plus side, it might be a good difference! I'd imagine the trial stage is to iron out any differences so here's hoping.

I'm hoping that now they've secured a manufacturer the products will be available sooner than reported. I guess it all depends on trials.

jaycee

« Reply #121 on: October 28, 2019, 09:52:26 PM »

I hope so too, a lot of women have had to change to Evoral and most patches have norethisterone in them
I was going to try patches but can't have pills, not  much choice
« Last Edit: October 29, 2019, 08:02:08 PM by jaycee »

bear

« Reply #122 on: October 29, 2019, 11:52:07 AM »

Hi girls,

Regarding norethisterone, I think those results are for ORAL preparations, but I will check the study and report back.

Regarding the recent Theramex acquisiton of Janssen's Evorel portfolio... It's not a simple operation. Janssen's press release states that Theramex currently anticipates 're-launching the product range in their packaging by Q1 2020'. https://www.janssen.com/uk/hormone-replacement-therapy-hrt-shortages-uk They also say 'that the agreement with Theramex is not the cause or the reason for the current shortage of the Evorel range.'Well, now that they have mentioned it... ::)

Regarding FemSeven... the patent (estradiol and levonorgestrel transdermal patches) has expired. I think Theramex was trying to prolong the patent by modifying the adhesive matrix. This is a well known strategy to delay entry of generics to the market https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6688687/ Let's hope they will succeed in the next few months or a new generic product will be available.

BeaR.

jaycee

« Reply #123 on: October 29, 2019, 12:40:37 PM »

Thanks BeaR, for explaining, but surely the side effects in the patch are bad enough to affect women too, i can't see they would be much different to the oral side effects
Anyhow we will just have to wait and see

bear

« Reply #124 on: October 29, 2019, 02:27:46 PM »

Thanks BeaR, for explaining, but surely the side effects in the patch are bad enough to affect women too, i can't see they would be much different to the oral side effects
Anyhow we will just have to wait and see

Hi Jaycee,

Absolutely, side effects are a personal experience and, IMHO, 'hormone replacement therapy' is a misleading term, I prefer MHT (menopausal hormone therapy), precisely because there are synthetic non body identical hormones involved. Even when the hormones are body-identical (17 beta estradiol and progesterone) both dose and dosage are very variable and side effects can be debilitating as well. Besides, there are many transgender people on hormonal therapy, so the term can be confusing for statistics purpose.

Regarding the norethisterone quote from the International Menopause Society document https://www.imsociety.org/manage/images/pdf/2b650ccd4a2e0c63806d82ed2984ed69.pdf

'The median year of diagnosis of breast cancer cases from North America (25% of the included data) was 1999, and for the European studies, 2007, with one as early as 1981. With an average use of 10 years of MHT in current users at diagnosis,and 7 years in past users, much of the exposure to MHT preceded the first publication of the Women's Health Initiative study, after which prescribing practices changed substantially. Consequently, virtually all of the included information pertains to MHT formulations and doses known to have adverse breast effects that are no longer recommended. Specifically, the use of the progestogens medroxyprogesterone acetate and  norethisterone (norethindrone)is  now  discouraged  because  of  their  known  adverse  effects,  but  these account for nearly all of the data for combined estrogen-progestogen therapy included in the paper. The one analysis of data from prospective studies of the effects of different progestogens provides inadequate data to draw  conclusions  about  the  effects  of  the  preferred  progestogens,  progesterone  (50 included cases)  and dydrogesterone (253 included cases). Additionally, the majority of cases were women who took oral estrogen, which results in high blood levels of the hormone estrone, whereas transdermal therapy does not(2). Estrone is not only the main estrogen produced by postmenopausal women, but levels are higher in overweight/obese women, such that estrone may be a key factor linking obesity with breast cancer.'

Unfortunately they don't say exactly where the data come from, I will check their References and report back. I suspect they are talking about MHT formulations containing HIGH doses of norethisterone, that are now 'discouraged', but still available, not to mention the high dose norethisterone formulations used as contraceptives.

Patches do avoid liver first pass, so they are less likely to present the same side effects of oral formulations, but on the other hand the amount and rate of hormone release can vary in transdermal drug delivery systems depending on the patch technology and skin barrier factors (water and fat content), and we all know that hormonal fluctuations can cause serious effects.

BeaR

Hurdity

« Reply #125 on: October 29, 2019, 06:37:06 PM »

Thanks for this BeaR - this must be great news for patch users of these brands?

Why is this great news? I would suggest it could be quite the opposite - one company being subsumed into another unless they retain their brand, as it could lead to the comapny making the decision to streamline to one patch formulation only. However we have no idea though.

Hurdity x

KiltedCupid

« Reply #126 on: October 29, 2019, 07:13:37 PM »

Yes that's right hurdily, we have no idea.

As a business owner and as the partner of a business owner, no business owner would be foolish enough to lose a substantial part of their guaranteed income from a particular product. It makes absolutely no business sense.

However to merge manufacturing and workforce processes, it's possible to reduce costs to the consumer, whilst retaining a suite of products across a variety of respected brands without marketing costs for new brands.

But, as you say, we just don't know.

I know what I'd bet on.

jaycee

« Reply #127 on: October 29, 2019, 09:02:00 PM »

Thanks again BeaR,I wish the Evoral Conti would have been ok for me ,because it gave me a real energy boost, but the upset stomach, [which might have passed] and the hair loss especially made it impossible for me to carry on with it,
We can only hope it all gets sorted out,sooner rather than later

Hurdity

« Reply #128 on: October 30, 2019, 03:50:18 PM »

I'm sure this has been suggested already jaycee but have you thought of a Mirena coil - this has the same progestogen as Femseven conti? It is also available as a mini pill (Norgeston) which could potentially be prescribed off-licence although it would be difficult to work out the right dose as it's not available as a combi oral product - and if you're like me - you would rather stay with transdermals all the way as having fewer side effects and bypassing the liver. Just a thought.

Hurdity x

Tracey E

« Reply #129 on: October 30, 2019, 04:10:45 PM »

Thanks again BeaR,I wish the Evoral Conti would have been ok for me ,because it gave me a real energy boost, but the upset stomach, [which might have passed] and the hair loss especially made it impossible for me to carry on with it,

Hi Jaycee I had exactly the same side effects + palps on Evorel Conti. Persevered for 4 months than went on Estrogel/Utrogestan and still had the same side effects.:(

bear

« Reply #130 on: October 30, 2019, 08:14:30 PM »

You're welcome, jaycee. How long have you been on Evorel Conti? Let's hope the levonorgestrel and estradiol patches will be available next year. I think it's only a matter of commercial issues that are already being discussed and will be sorted out soon. I won't 'speculate', I can't post why I think this is the real issue because there's an article coming soon about it. I will let you know when it's going to be published.

BeaR.

KiltedCupid

« Reply #131 on: October 30, 2019, 08:28:11 PM »

You're welcome, jaycee. How long have you been on Evorel Conti? Let's hope the levonorgestrel and estradiol patches will be available next year. I think it's only a matter of commercial issues that are already being discussed and will be sorted out soon. I won't 'speculate', I can't post why I think this is the real issue because there's an article coming soon about it. I will let you know when it's going to be published.

BeaR.

Please keep us updated BeaR.

jaycee

« Reply #132 on: October 30, 2019, 08:58:28 PM »

I don't fancy having a mirena at my age Hurdity,

BeaR,I am not on Evoral Conti now,i was onlt on it for 4 weeks when my hair started falling out badly,so stopped it and my hair has just about stopped falling now,i have several almost bald patches which are very noticeable so have to wear a hat if anyone is around, seen a dermatologist,and had blood tests,and seeing him again next Tuesday he said it is Telogen Effluvium, but he might have changed his mind next week
He thought it was stress related,  as I had already lost some previously,but the Evoral Conti definitely helped

Hurdity

« Reply #133 on: October 31, 2019, 09:20:41 AM »

Hi jaycee - I don't know how old you are but I was offered one at 60 - I declined not due to age but because I didn't want to use any synthetic progestogen. It was just a suggestion I thought might be helpful in case you didn't know it had the same prog!

Hurdity x

bear

« Reply #134 on: October 31, 2019, 02:24:01 PM »

I don't fancy having a mirena at my age Hurdity,

BeaR,I am not on Evoral Conti now,i was onlt on it for 4 weeks when my hair started falling out badly,so stopped it and my hair has just about stopped falling now,i have several almost bald patches which are very noticeable so have to wear a hat if anyone is around, seen a dermatologist,and had blood tests,and seeing him again next Tuesday he said it is Telogen Effluvium, but he might have changed his mind next week
He thought it was stress related,  as I had already lost some previously,but the Evoral Conti definitely helped

Hi jaycee,

I'm sorry about the hair loss, it's very distressing. What blood tests has he asked for?

Regarding the IMS quote 'Specifically, the use of the progestogens medroxyprogesterone acetate and  norethisterone (norethindrone) is  now  discouraged  because  of  their  known  adverse  effects', I couldn't find anything in the referenced articles. The Women's Health Initiative study only tested medroxyprogesterone acetate and the other articles are not about norethisterone (norethindrone).

https://www.thelancet.com/action/showPdf?pii=S1470-2045%2812%2970425-4

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamacardiology/fullarticle/2551981

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/fullarticle/195120

I'm going to write to the IMS to clarify this specific assertion.

BeaR.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10