Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Benefits of using Vagifem over an extended period  (Read 7447 times)

Katejo

Benefits of using Vagifem over an extended period
« on: December 14, 2018, 10:25:43 PM »

Before my GP appt  next week, I'd like to hear from anyone who has already been using it for an extended period (over 6 months or so). What were the main benefits? My main hopes are for reduction in VA/ UTI probs and sleeping better due to fewer loo  visits during the night.  I have had some benefits but not consistent yet. Did the benefits accumulate over time?  Are you using it daily or do you no longer need it as often?  Thanks

Zara69

Re: Benefits of using Vagifem over an extended period
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2018, 12:07:01 AM »

Hi I've been using vagifem for 15 months...I didn't really see a big improvement until I'd been using it for about a year ... I use it every other day.  I suffered mostly bladder pain stinging burning, loo trips in the night and prolapse feelings . I would say I'm 90% better..I now try and place it about 3 inches in as I think it helps doing this. I would add I am also on patches - evorel sequi x

Katejo

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2018, 12:27:10 AM »

Hi I've been using vagifem for 15 months...I didn't really see a big improvement until I'd been using it for about a year ... I use it every other day.  I suffered mostly bladder pain stinging burning, loo trips in the night and prolapse feelings . I would say I'm 90% better..I now try and place it about 3 inches in as I think it helps doing this. I would add I am also on patches - evorel sequi x
Thanks. I have just started putting it about half way in. I haven't tried any systemic yet but am considering it.

Tinkerbell

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2018, 01:01:38 AM »

I have been using Vagifem for nearly four years, for the last three I have used it daily. The benefits for me are being able to sit, walk and sleep because I don't have the constant burning and needing a wee!
I did start systemic HRT two years ago because of awful palpitations and that has helped the VA even more.

JaneinPen

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2018, 10:44:26 AM »

For me definitely a benefit after constant UTI's. Three times a week is sufficient so far.

Katejo

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2018, 11:50:30 AM »

For me definitely a benefit after constant UTI's. Three times a week is sufficient so far.
I want to try daily at least for a few weeks/
months. It worked well in the first 2 weeks but symptoms crept back when I reduced it. i haven't managed to restore that initial improvement but I have only been using it daily for about 3-4 days. I did actually try inserting 2 (to be closer to the previous 25 mcg) last night as a test to check that there wouldn't be any added irritation. OK so far.

Dierdre

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2018, 01:56:53 PM »

I've been using 4 years.  It took over a year to sort out my prolapse and strengthen the walls so avoided surgery. UTI' s stopped within weeks and not had one since, can now go all night without getting up for the loo. Able to sit for long periods without a medical doughnut. Soreness outside has always been my main problem and  never felt 100% until this last year when I started using Vagifem daily and Ovestin nightly on the outside. I wish I'd done this sooner. I have tried full HRT too but didn't make any noticeable difference and had constant bleeding so stopped taking it, don't have any other meno symptoms so ok with just local.  I also have noticed improvement when i get pleny of sunshine and now taking vitamin d with magnesium in the winter months.

Katejo

« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2018, 03:45:59 PM »

Encouraging that VF does seem to get more effective with time. I'm trying to persevere with it but really dislike the fact I get a really sticky discharge on the days I use it. Is this normal?   I don't feel twice a week is enough to make much difference. I was starting to feel benefit on the 14 day preload but now not so much.  I've found I get more irritation if I don't insert the tablet fully. What's the benefit of only inserting it half way?
Hi Stellajane  I  haven't had the sticky discharge at all. I have experimented with inserting it half  way and haven't had any irritation even though I tried inserting 2 at the same time as a test. My symptoms are much better at the moment.

The advice to insert halfway says that it is to "minimise uterine exposure and maximise effect on the vulva, urethra and clitoral areas". One or two people have then said that it helped the bladder and they didn't need to get up during the night to go to the loo. It is too early to say whether this is helping me but the initial results over the past couple of days are encouraging.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2018, 08:57:48 PM »

One doesn't need progetersone with localised vaginal atrophy treatment.  I believe that vagifem is a tablet designed to adhere to the vaginal walls and gradually be absorbed, however: some of what goes up has to come down ;-).  Some ladies find that daily isn't enough so maybe change to   Ovestin which I have had success with.  Occasionally I need to go back to 5/6 nights so it really is trial and error.

Be clear exactly how much product you need and when to keep symptoms at bay.  Hopefully your appt won't be thwarted! let us know ;-)

suzysunday

« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2018, 10:31:36 AM »

Clkd can I ask how many nights a week generally do you use ovestin and do you use non hormonal moisturizer in between. I was concerned that using non hormonal in between may make the ovestin less effective. I have been using alternate nights ovestin then Yes to keep symptoms at bay. Worried not doing things right, should be only on ovestin 2x week according to go but doesn't feel enough after uti symptoms.

Katejo

« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2018, 12:42:43 PM »

Here is an update to this. I saw the GP this morning and made use of the feedback which you had all kindly given me. The following results came from that:

1. Positive: I managed to get a further 4 week daily use course of Vagifem as prescribed  by the hospital but which their pharmacy couldn't supply.  I have also got a referral letter to see a doctor at a menopause clinic. I explained why I wanted to consider systemic HRT.  It will be at the Whittington in Highgate again under a Dr Lieberman ( I think). Have any of you used this clinic? How did it go?

2. I asked for a bone density scan as a precaution due to meno and taking Tegretol. I last had one 3 years ago after a wrist fracture which was clear. That will happen.

2. Less positive: The GP still insisted that Vagifem should only be used twice a week after the initial 2 weeks. I explained all the evidence I had seen here and showed the books read (including the Jane Lewis one and the new one on oestrogen) and NICE guidelines. I also said that Vagifem was working much better when used daily. She insisted that the guidelines aren't specific but  indicate a risk of endometriosis so frequency should be reduced. I suspected that this was to do with the need to include progesterone with systemic HRT not Vagifem but I didn't argue because I had nothing specific to  support it with me.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2018, 01:02:57 PM by Katejo »

suzysunday

« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2018, 01:16:12 PM »

Sorry to hear that your gp is insisting you only use vagifem twice a week. If it is not enough what is the point?  I use ovestin and using alternate nights after a bad bout of uti symptoms.   I use no other hrt. Maybe the menopause clinic can advise your gp when you go to use more often.   As you say, the NICE guidlines say the dose can be increased if symptoms worsen. Maybe others on here can advise.  It really is worrying and frustrating when you want to get the VA under control.   The gp's don't seem to understand that life is hard to get on with when your vaginal is sore and/or weeing all the  time.  Good you got clinic appointment.   Are there any other gp's at your practice who you can talk to?

Katejo

« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2018, 01:47:45 PM »

Sorry to hear that your gp is insisting you only use vagifem twice a week. If it is not enough what is the point?  I use ovestin and using alternate nights after a bad bout of uti symptoms.   I use no other hrt. Maybe the menopause clinic can advise your gp when you go to use more often.   As you say, the NICE guidlines say the dose can be increased if symptoms worsen. Maybe others on here can advise.  It really is worrying and frustrating when you want to get the VA under control.   The gp's don't seem to understand that life is hard to get on with when your vaginal is sore and/or weeing all the  time.  Good you got clinic appointment.   Are there any other gp's at your practice who you can talk to?
I am allowed to use it daily until I see a doctor at the meno clinic (because the urogynaecologist prescribed it) but the GP won't increase the prescription amount on my regular supply. I therefore have enough for the moment because Birdy also kindly sent me an extra box which I can keep as a back up.

suzysunday

« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2018, 04:15:53 PM »

Maybe you can get things sorted to increase the dose when you get to the clinic. If you get some systemic hrt, maybe you could manage on twice a week .  It is all SO stressful, you have all my sympathy.

Katejo

« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2018, 05:57:41 PM »

I can send some more too. About half a box. If I were you, book an appointment with a meno nurse if your practice has one and talk to her about it.
I did exactly that today because my doc wouldn't give me Estriol cream. She gave me two tubes straight away. Or go to a GUM clinic and ask them to write to your GP for you. It's so awful that on top of all our meno misery we have to fight the very people who should know what they're talking about.

Just read your update, sorry! Can you change your doctor?
Thanks Birdy!  I would like to have the other half box please. I went to do  my referral appt. earlier today but no dates were available. The rough guide suggested that I might have to wait about 3 months. The practice doesn't have a meno nurse now. there is only 1 other practice within my catchment area and that has bad reviews so I will stay where I am for now. My practice is recruiting new staff at the moment (including nurse practitioners)  and launching a new appt. system so I will give that a chance first.   
Pages: [1] 2 3