Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: BCP for period problems with younger (non-menopausal) woman  (Read 1298 times)

Dorothy

BCP for period problems with younger (non-menopausal) woman
« on: December 04, 2018, 10:32:14 PM »

Hi everyone

I have a friend in her 20s who has been prescribed Gedarel for debilitating period problems.  She's only been on it a short while but is suffering from massive sensory overload and depression.  She's finding it very stressful as she was thinking it's either a choice between coping with these side effects or coping with the period problems.

I have pointed out that different pills can have different effects and she may be fine on another one.  But knowing how GPs often have a 'take it or leave it' attitude to the pill, I'm thinking it might be helpful if she had ideas of what else to try when she goes back to the surgery.  I know it's a long shot, but do any of you have any ideas on what might be a good one for her to ask to try next?

BlueButterfly

Re: BCP for period problems with younger (non-menopausal) woman
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2018, 01:23:01 AM »

I did better with one that had the progestin levonorgestrel. (Sorry, I'm in the US and I was on a generic so not even sure the same would be available there). I had the least amount of side effects when I used a pill with that compared to all the others I tried. (I've had about 5 different pills) I got on it because of horrendous periods/bleeding and feeling awful 3 out of every 4 weeks.
I was on it for almost 7 years and did great.
I think the progestins are really the biggest difference between all the pills (and dose of course) that effects people the most. It is still very personal though.