Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: horrendous panic attacks since 4am  (Read 6310 times)

NaturalMystic

horrendous panic attacks since 4am
« on: December 04, 2018, 05:29:14 AM »

:'(

Kb21

Re: horrendous panic attacks since 4am
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2018, 06:30:15 AM »

Morning. How are you feeling now??

Have you tried some guided meditation, warmed milk, getting up and doing a chore, reading or watching something really distracting.

I wake up in a panic a lot these days and I have to distract myself.

You're going to be okay, big hugs xxx

NaturalMystic

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2018, 07:07:31 AM »

Hi, thanks.

I feel so uneasy, knots so tight in my stomach.  Shattered but cant sleep.  I want to cry so bad but I cant.

I called the Samaritans, what a nut job!

Kb21

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2018, 07:18:12 AM »

Well you're in good company  ;D

If you are too wired to sleep, don't try to sleep, it'll just stress you out.

Try some distraction... Have you got something to do?? If not you can pop over and do some of my cleaning!!!

Another technique is to dip your head into cold water.... Advised to me by cmht!!!

Do you have any emergency meds like diazepam? If not an anti histamine like benadryl could help.

X

NaturalMystic

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2018, 07:27:59 AM »

Taken 5mg diazepam and 20 propranalol, not touching me 😞

This is one of my quite rare heavy episodes.

NaturalMystic

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2018, 07:45:39 AM »

Just taken another 2.5mg, desperate measures today and going to take a very rare day off work
« Last Edit: December 04, 2018, 08:07:09 AM by NaturalMystic »

Shadyglade

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2018, 07:56:28 AM »

Poor you. I have been there. As you have taken the meds all I can suggest is distraction technics.

How about a long walk.  :hug:

jaypo

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2018, 08:26:01 AM »

Keep fighting it girl,we're all behind you, it's just awful,I've had days like that,just want to curl up in a ball under the duvet. I shout at myself now & tell the anxiety it's not getting the better of me,how DARE it ruin my life.
I hope you feel better soon,kick that panics ass xx

JaneinPen

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2018, 09:00:08 AM »

:'(
I feel so sad for you. Panic attacks are one of those things that just take hold but you do need to try to distract yourself as quickly as possible. It isn't easy but just try breathing through a paper bag put the tv on to distract you or read a mills & boon type book even if you re-read the same paragraph over and over again until you have calmed down. These things helped me a lot for five years of panic attacks whilst in full blown meno symptoms. Be kind to yourself today. Big hugs

NorthArm

« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2018, 09:31:13 AM »

I agree with Birdy, that 4am panic is cortisol flooding your body, right at the very time you're generally supposed to head in to the deepest sleep of the night - it's horrible 😞😞

It's your adrenals firing off, because they're trying to make you produce oestrogen, which is at its highest level (during fertile years) in the morning. During peri/meno, your adrenal cortex kicks in to produce ‘old lady oestrogen' (as I call it) which leads to panic, anxiety and hot flushes. As your body and receptors in your brain adapt to work with this type of oestrogen, you will get these uncomfortable symptoms less and less - at least, that's the theory....

But that doesn't help you when you're being literally smashed awake 😞😞. My worst surges used to happen from about 2am, so I have Xanax next to my bed to use if that should happen, as I need to be up at 5 for work. It's very short acting, puts me back to sleep within 20 minutes, wears off with me within 2 hours, so I am fine to get up and ready for work. I only take .5mg which is much less than the 1 - 2mg the gp recommended I take when this hell first hit me. I'm bleeding every two weeks these days so I might need to take it for 1 or 2 nights a fortnight.

I also take a very small dose of mirtazapine at night before bed which has helped my sleep no end.

My heart really goes out to you, it's debilitating at times and so manifestly unfair that some of us suffer so dreadfully. I hope you're feeling better now xx

NaturalMystic

« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2018, 02:03:11 PM »

Thank you so much ladies, for your warmth.  You feel so alone when this I happening, hence the Samaritan call.

Yes I'm on 4 pumps of oestrogen a night, waiting for a coil fitting this month.

I honestly believe I'm close to menopause and my symptoms have escalated of late.  I wonder if the oestrogen is making me worse too 😒

I know we are all struggling, this isn't about me.  I have lots of well days so promise to be there for you all too xxx

jaypo

« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2018, 03:19:54 PM »

😊❤️

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2018, 05:58:27 PM »

It's the PITS  :'(.   Could it be a cortisol surge, waking you suddenly?  4 me I would wake and be immediately deeply afraid  :'(.  My anti-depressant eased and my GP gave me 80mg Propranolol for 3 months.  Then I dropped that to 20mg am and pm now on 20mg at night.  Along with an appropriate anti-anxiety as necessary medication.

In the 1990s I was on 10mg Valium 3 times a day for months.  Then I dropped it to 'as necessary', taking one tablet the night prior to an event I couldn't get out of.  Then it was 5mg, again as necessary.

I would be better by evening, after my commitments were done. 

:hug:

Crafty Kaz

« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2018, 07:08:34 PM »

Hi
So sorry you are feeling this way it really is awful this transition period! What progesterone are you taking at the mo with the 4 pumps of gel? I take utrogestan for 12 days per month & it's really helped my anxiety, from what I gather progesterone is the calming hormone & even though estrogen is the feel good hormone too much of a good thing can make you feel rotten. Hope you feel better very soon.

Much love
Kaz xx

NaturalMystic

« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2018, 07:52:34 PM »

Thanks guys.

Kaz I'm not on any prog at the moment, will be fitted with the coil this month.

I've reduced my pumps back to 2 per night this evening. 

Bought some magnesium supps today.

So now, 2 pumps, 2mg propranolol and a magnesium tab.  Diazepam as and when but it didn't help at all on this occasion, In fact I think I left it too long before taking it.

Its just hell isn't it
Pages: [1] 2 3