Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Author Topic: Sinusitis?  (Read 1868 times)

littlelady

Sinusitis?
« on: November 09, 2018, 11:59:48 PM »

I have been on Evorel Conti patches for two years, have just had a CT scan on my sinuses and also an alergy test which came back negative, still waiting for CT results.

Having had two bad viral colds last year I am suffering with post nasal drip most days and a horrible smell from my nose sometimes.

Along with dizziness a fuzzy head and occasional vertigo and a Cough.

But the gunge sometimes is yellow and makes me nauseous.

I just can't get rid of this post nasal drip and this gunge.

Is this related to my HRT ? or the memo ?

Really getting me down ,any advice please .

Dancinggirl

Re: Sinusitis?
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2018, 08:25:24 AM »

Probably meno related. Even with HRT our mucus membranes become less effective and we become more sensitive to allergens. I use saline sprays a lot and regularly inhale over steam.
Central heating and a dry atmosphere can really aggrevate these problems.
It sounds as though you have what they often refer to as senile sinusitis.
Don't use chemical sinus sprays or take antihistermines - just use saline sprays and steam.
If there is an ongoing infection  (a lot of pain behind the eyes)  then a course of antibiotics might be necessary. DG x

JaneinPen

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2018, 08:45:29 AM »

Like DG I also use sprays not antihistamines and at this time of the year have a pot in my lounge and bedroom with water in them

EnglishRose

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2018, 12:26:49 PM »

I have been on Evorel Conti patches for two years, have just had a CT scan on my sinuses and also an alergy test which came back negative, still waiting for CT results.

Having had two bad viral colds last year I am suffering with post nasal drip most days and a horrible smell from my nose sometimes.

Along with dizziness a fuzzy head and occasional vertigo and a Cough.

But the gunge sometimes is yellow and makes me nauseous.

I just can't get rid of this post nasal drip and this gunge.

Is this related to my HRT ? or the memo ?

Really getting me down ,any advice please .

I had my first sinus infection during perimenopause several years ago. I just felt I had a bad cold that never got better, eventually went to doctors after being bed ridden for 6 weeks and told her I could hear mucus in my nose when I stood up from lying down and she diagnosed sinus infection
Oddly that very day I experienced acute pain to my teeth for the first time..
I took the ABs but also started irragating  my sinuses and after a week on twice daily irrigation some egg yolk yellow gunk came out .. never seen anything that vivid in colour in my life.

Bottom line, I'm always getting sinus pain and congestion now sadly but there's a difference from sinus symptoms and bacterial sinus infection

sheila99

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2018, 09:50:41 PM »

I got it in my 30s so it may be coincidence rather than meno related. The down side is that it seems to leave you more susceptible to it in the future. When I have a bad cold my sinuses often fill up too.

suziq99

• GBX Marine
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2018, 04:42:44 PM »

I got into a cough / sinus circle, clear up one & the other started. The only thing that's worked is clear up the cough then do a nasal wash once a day, look up netti pot !  It's a bit wyrd doing it to start with but once you get used to it, it's ok. Do follow the instructions, lean forward & do not use straight tap water. I was lucky & Aldi had some for sale & the salt at the same time.