Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Washer /dryer combo  (Read 3282 times)

annieb

Washer /dryer combo
« on: October 30, 2018, 09:05:32 AM »

Not sure how relevant this to this site but thought some of you must have some helpful advice
Hubby  has decided that as our washing machine is about to give up we should now have a washer/dryer rather than a simple washing machine.  This is after 40 years of him doing the washing  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D.  (he doesn't actually know how to switch this latest one on and the only time he used the old one was when I was in hospital having our son. He put a very expensive and new chiffon skirt of mine in there (you can guess the result) and I've not let him near it since - should have trained him properly I suppose)
Have done some research as it probably would be a good idea particularly at this time of year when it's difficult to "hang out". At a loss where to start as there seems to be all sorts of things to consider
There are only the 2 of  us now so I only do maximum 3 loads a week plus towels and bedding
Anyone have a recommendation or suggestions

Two hoots

Re: Washer /dryer combo
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2018, 09:24:41 AM »

I always have washer/dryers, I don't use the dryer very often but it's there if I need it. I don't want to have a dryer taking up room in my kitchen so it's the best option.

My washer/dryer fits under the worktop so I looked for a model that had easy to reach controls, some machines had them too close to the top for my liking. I also like a 30 minute wash so that narrowed down the choice.

My old washer/dryer was taken away by a local charity that refurbishes old white goods before selling them on, much better than taking it to a tip.

Dancinggirl

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2018, 09:32:02 AM »

Tumble dryers are expensive to use and I think the washer dryers are more expensive for drying because the drum is small so I expect you need to go for the biggest drum you can get.
I have one of the Lakeland heated Airers - I have found it brilliant for drying things and is cheap to run. I do a wash in the evening and hang it all on this dryer in the kitchen ( you can now get a cover to make it more efficient)-  when I come down in the morning it's ready for ironing - the kitchen is lovely and warm as well!
DG x

Dierdre

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2018, 09:41:47 AM »

I have a separate dryer but if you haven't the space for both then go for it. I hated wet washing around the house on radiators etc.

Gangan

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2018, 09:48:00 AM »

I've had two washer dryers in the past that didn't last long enough. Maybe they are better made now. Expensive but i bought a Mi*le washing machine which has so far lasted well over it's 10 year guarantee and i bought a separate small tumble dryer to go above it. Can't remember the make as i have given it to my daughter to use but that is still going strong. I would never buy a washer dryer now.

Gangan

annieb

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2018, 11:35:56 AM »

Sadly don't have the space for 2 separate machines . Like the idea of the Lakeland airer

Two hoots - what make of w/d do you have

Hubby has found a Samsung one that he thinks will fit the bill but all the data is a bit confusing

Dancinggirl

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2018, 11:59:25 AM »

Even if you get a washer dryer it's worth having the Lakeland airer as it could do some of the drying load  - I believe you normally have to take out some of the clothes after a wash before drying anyway otherwise it will take ages to dry. Things like sweaters and delicates dry really well on the Lakeland airer. DG x

bramble

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2018, 12:46:53 PM »

I got a Beko w/d last year. Easy to use and quiet. Recommend it.. And a two year guarantee. 29 min daily wash cycle.
Bramble

Two hoots

« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2018, 01:54:07 PM »

I bought an Indesit integrated washer/dryer that's shorter than the normal size but it's easier to fit in my kitchen where it's hidden behind a kitchen cabinet door. Like I said earlier my number one requirement is a quick wash, I can have a load on the line in 30/35 minutes, I don't have "dirty" washing, no sports kits or muddy clothes anymore and my heaviest wash is the duvet cover or towels. I had the washer/dryer about a year ago and it's been excellent for my requirements  :)
« Last Edit: October 30, 2018, 02:00:58 PM by Two hoots »

Shadyglade

« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2018, 04:20:19 PM »

They don't tend to last long as they are one machine doing two jobs. My son had one and hated it. You have to take at least half the load out to tumble dry and then there is always some stuff that can't be tumbled. In addition it took ages so the machine seemed to be constantly on.

I would get a Lakeland airer.

jillydoll

• Hiya
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2018, 04:29:23 PM »

Just looked at those Lakeland airers, they look brilliant.
I'm defo going to get one.   ;D
I hate using the tumble dryer, things come out shrunk, sheets don't fit anymore,
in fact the only thing I dry in there are towels, and duvet covers.
Ours is in the utility room, and I use an airier in there but it's not heated. :(
The one from Lakeland is great, never knew you could buy them......lol  ::)

So thanx for that DG...xx

AgathaC

« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2018, 05:46:08 PM »

Samsung Ecobubble. I have two big ones which are excellent. Both are 4 years old now. Very expensive but super reliable and do quick washes which I love. Have a separate dryer which I never use. I think they ruin clothes and are very wasteful of energy. Dry everything outside where possible and in drying room or on the rads in the winter! Xxx
P.S. do not run a launderette just big family  ;D

Dancinggirl

« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2018, 05:49:50 PM »

A friend recommended The Lakeland airer to me and it's been one of the best buys ever. I think having the cover might make it even better ( probably dries things quicker)  but I've found it works well without.
DG x

littleminnie

« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2018, 05:58:19 PM »

Just looked on Lakeland.  There are so many to choose from.

annieb

« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2018, 08:02:08 PM »

Well this has been an interesting and helpful discussion.  Will seriously have a look at the Lakeland airer.
To be honest I wasn't so keen on a washer/dryer as I was concerned about the cost of running the drying bit and also whether it may damage the clothes. Reading here it seems like some are great fans of them - others not so.  In my ignorance I'd assumed you just bunged everything in and it came out dry  HA HA in my dreams
Not sure I want the faff of taking out and sorting a smaller load to dry etc etc as we'd still end up with some things that would have to do on an airer in the winter
Have suggested to hubby that he might like to buy himself a w/d and then do the washing each week to see how good it is.  ;) ;)
That's wasn't greeted with much enthusiasm so think I may just stick with the conventional washer
(Must point out at this stage that hubby's heart is in the right place as he thought it might make life easier for me  and he is very good at hoovering and Christmas dinner - he also makes the best scones ever so will forgive him the lack of washing and ironing) xx
Pages: [1] 2