Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Anxiety sufferer has done a really silly thing...  (Read 2362 times)

rebel2

Anxiety sufferer has done a really silly thing...
« on: October 29, 2018, 03:21:49 PM »

Haven't posted or been on here for a while as after giving up oestrogen I had a fantastic two or three months.  But over the last two weeks i'm Back to health anxiety ground zero, with full on panic attacks that I thought had gone away three years ago.   I think it's due to background anxiety about a recent high cholesterol test,  it's been complete shit to be honest as I have a lovely life and all is goi g really, really well.

So what stupid, beyond daft thing did I do today?  Only go and give blood for the first time.  I do have blood pressure on the low side but wanted to face my panic attacks and see them off.  So what happened?  I felt faint afterwards and really cold, had to stay there ages, felt totally stupid and now can't tell if i'm Having a panic attack or potentially dying.

Bugger.  Was already struggling with stupid worry about heart attack!  I totally buy into the other recent thread about stress causing real symptoms as I know I have everything I read/hear about.   Why did I do it?!,

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Anxiety sufferer has done a really silly thing...
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2018, 03:23:21 PM »

Because you felt brave?   Did they look after you following the blood letting?  It is common for people to react as you did even those that give blood regularly - did they explain that?

Get those feet up.  Cuppa to hand.  ....... and breath.  You did well!!!  It's not something I have ever done being under-weight until recent years.

rebel2

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2018, 03:30:38 PM »

Yes I did think I would feel brave, but now I just feel silly and worried that i've Set myself back in terms of kicking this health anxiety cycle. 

The did look after me, and the fact that they didn't rush about with blood pressure machine and a crash trolley should be enough to stop my fears!

CLKD

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2018, 03:32:39 PM »

So has it.  Stopped the fears?  You survived overall.  You don't have to do it again ......... but your pinta will help save a Life  ;)

Stop feeling silly.  It's over.  You did WELL by even considering going  :medal:

rebel2

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2018, 03:38:04 PM »

Yes I did.  But I feel really wobbly and have awful fears about low blood pressure.  Wish I hadn't done it.

Snoooze

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2018, 04:28:30 PM »

I say well done and thank you. After the birth of one of my children I needed two blood transfusions, so I'm very grateful to kind people like you, so give yourself a pat on the back 🏅

I would say you were already in an anxious state before going so it probably didn't help but lots of people feel faint afterwards. Try not to worry about anything untoward (easier said than done) and instead think of the people your donation will help.

rebel2

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2018, 04:34:48 PM »

Thanks Snooze, much appreciated.

Am gradually starting to feel better.

Annie0710

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2018, 06:03:29 PM »

I don't think you were silly Rebel, you are brave and helpful and I bet loads of donors don't feel great after

Don't let today set you back xx

rebel2

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2018, 06:32:43 PM »

Thanks, I feel a bit better now.   And more than a bit embarrassed that I was such a wimp, although I still gave the full pint!

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2018, 07:11:04 PM »

You don't need to be embarrassed with us and do you really think that they are talking about you ........ they will B 2 busy tidying up and sending the blood to the bank for processing ;-).

If you had low blood pressure you will feel very dizzy.  It's usual to feel a bit woozy after such an event and if you keep hydrated and eat plenty of snacks this evening you'll be fine!!

BlueButterfly

« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2018, 10:49:37 PM »

That was wonderful what you did. I don't know if I could donate blood in the state I've been in! Just getting a blood draw has been enough for me even though in the past, donating blood has never been a problem.

But like how you felt today after, that's really not that unusual of a reaction. It's very draining, especially if you didn't hydrate or eat well before (not sure if that's what you did but I'm guilty of it EVERY time). I usually feel okay after until a short while later. Eat well, hydrate and rest. That's about it.

rebel2

« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2018, 11:22:07 PM »

I'm feeling a lot better after a meal and loads of fluids.  Thanks everyone.  I just need to keep everything in perspective. 

CLKD

« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2018, 09:49:31 AM »

Improved this morning ?

:foryou:

rebel2

« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2018, 08:27:47 PM »

Like a new woman!

CLKD

« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2018, 08:56:48 PM »

That's good.