Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: 5HTP panic attack  (Read 911 times)

keancy

5HTP panic attack
« on: September 26, 2018, 05:00:51 PM »

Last night I took 100mg of 5HTP ar bedtime and at 3.30am I awoke with a panic attack. I read somewhere you should start with 50mg and yet I took 100mg Friday and Saturday night and nothing happened.

What's the deal with That?? Anyone els3 experianced this??

Ladybt28

Re: 5HTP panic attack
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2018, 05:31:49 PM »

Sorry Keancy, I would have been a regular 5HTP user in the past but they didn't give me panic attacks.  I cant remember whether you have any underlying medical conditions but I know you are not supposed to take it alongside anti-depressants if you are on them.  I took them regularly for 6 months at one point a while ago but found they were not helpful so I stopped.

keancy

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2018, 05:34:46 PM »

The only thing I am on is HRT Estrogen.

Very strange. As I said I took it two days in row with no issue at all and then last night boom. I have ordered a smaller dosage now to try again in a few days time

Ladybt28

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2018, 05:43:06 PM »

Maybe the panic attacks are not liked to the 5HTP - maybe they are random meno symptom?  I usually try stopping and starting and stopping and starting stuff a few times to see if it really is what I think it is that is causing it or if it is just coincidence.  Let us know how you get on with the lower dose.

Annie0710

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2018, 06:28:24 PM »

You could be reacting to them
I can't take anything with green tea in, I feel sick, nauseous, panicky and weak and I tried St. John's wort a year or so ago and had the same symptoms x

dangermouse

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2018, 08:28:07 PM »

Was it mainly palpitations or did you have stomach cramps and diarrhoea?

I did find that any hormonal supplements affected my body as if I'd had a dodgy prawn - got it with 5HTP, Rhodiola and ginseng. I found out they were all oestrogenic herbs/supps so could be reacting on top if your HRT?

I've been hospitalised with campylobacter and the sudden onset and cramps were worse than that!

BlueButterfly

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2018, 09:00:37 PM »

From what I've read, 5HTP increases serotonin...great...but it can cause an imbalance with the other neurotransmitters, creating less dopamine if I remember right (my brain could be remembering wrong). If that balance is thrown off than you can get side effects. I'll try to find where I read it and post the link if I can find it again. It really was just a couple days ago. You might have to take the dose down or stop. Also definitely watch out for serotonin syndrome.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2018, 09:23:35 PM by BlueButterfly »