Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Femseven Conti 13 weeks - pinkish bleed now happening  (Read 4421 times)

Angel1964

Femseven Conti 13 weeks - pinkish bleed now happening
« on: September 21, 2018, 11:10:04 AM »

Hi Ladies,  been on Femseven Conti, the 13th patch just changed today.  The last one that was on had rolled up a bit since yesterday, but I didn't change it until today, my normal change day.   Just noticed that I have light red (pinkish) blood and feel like I have slight period pain.  Is this normal after being on it for 13 weeks?   Feeling concerned now, which won't help my postmenopausal anxiety.  Thank you :)

Angel1964

Re: Femseven Conti 13 weeks - pinkish bleed now happening
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2018, 01:39:01 PM »

Ladies another question.  Can I just come off the patches, if they are going to cause a bleed, or should I persevere. I have bad period pain now, like I did when I had periods.  It is only a very small amount of pink blood when I wipe myseif (sorry for TMI).  i have not had a period in over 3 years (post menopausal).  Thank you all

Hurdity

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2018, 04:52:17 PM »

Hi Angel1964

I answered about the bleeding on your other thread.

Yes the patch coming unrolled would cause a reduction in progestogen levels which could lead to a bleed (like a false period) if the lining had thickened - sorry - I didn't say this on the other thread, as I don't think I registered the bit about unrolling. I think I read on here that Femseven are redoing the adhesive on their patches as this appears to be problematic since they have to stay on for a week.

Hurdity x

Angel1964

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2018, 07:21:50 AM »

Ladies should I continue with the Hrt patches or stop them?? Got major period pain today and pinkish blood. It's causing my anxiety to raise :(

Dierdre

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2018, 07:06:35 AM »

It's common to have bleeding with Conti patches within the first six months and then it should settle. Any bleeding after six months should be checked out. I had quite heavy periods whilst on this patch even though I'd been post menopause for 8 years. I'd  give it a little longer if it's working in other ways for you, if you do stop using the patch you will probably have a bleed anyway. I used to put a patch on the day before I was due to take the old one off so to have a bit of crossover as the old one was coming loose and gave the new one time to kick in.

Taz2

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2018, 08:58:29 AM »

Bleeding in the first 6 months is common with conti HRT. I bled for the whole of the six months and swapped back to sequi as I then knew when to expect a bleed. The patch rolling up will, as Hurdity mentioned, have led to a loss of progesterone and it is withdrawal of progesterone that causes the womb lining to begin to shed.

The patient information leaflet will mention breakthrough bleeding/spotting? This may put your mind at rest.

Taz x

Angel1964

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2018, 09:01:07 AM »

Hi Diedre thank you for your post and reassurance. I will see what happens and if the bleeding stops. I have gone to 1/2 patch for now to see if that makes any difference as I have read that too much oestrogen can cause a bleed?  Not sure if that is correct xx

Angel1964

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2018, 09:04:27 AM »

Thanks Taz for your post. I read that it's too much oestrogen that can cause a bleed? I'm so confused with it all between the different hormones.  I have cut patch in half but now unsure whether that was the right thing to do. Trial and error I suppose :) xx

Taz2

« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2018, 03:44:12 PM »

Too much oestrogen can cause the womb lining to build up but the withdrawal of progesterone will cause a bleed so cutting the patch in half (not recommended for a conti patch I believe) will cause bleeding. As mentioned this type of bleeding is entirely natural for the first six months of a conti HRT. I don't think cutting the patch in half will help to be honest. What are you worried might be happening?

Taz x

Angel1964

« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2018, 05:43:07 AM »

Too much oestrogen can cause the womb lining to build up but the withdrawal of progesterone will cause a bleed so cutting the patch in half (not recommended for a conti patch I believe) will cause bleeding. As mentioned this type of bleeding is entirely natural for the first six months of a conti HRT. I don't think cutting the patch in half will help to be honest. What are you worried might be happening?

Taz x

Hi Taz, I was thinking I was maybe getting too much oestrogen??  A week on the half patch no bleeding that stopped within a couple of days, but now I feel that my anxiety is heightened again :(  I am at a loss now. Should I go back on the full patch do you think? xx

Angel1964

« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2018, 05:57:59 AM »

Sorry but forgot to add that when I change my patch on Fridays thus is when the jittery anxiety feelings start then subside as the week goes on.

Taz2

« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2018, 08:46:52 AM »

If you have the info leaflet you can see that the bleeding you are experiencing is a common happening with a conti HRT. Personally I would go back to the full patch. If the bleeding really does cause you more anxiety then maybe a sequi regime would be better where you know when a bleed will occur?

Taz X  :-\

suzysunday

« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2018, 09:33:03 AM »

Deirdre can I ask, you said you were 8 years post meno and had bleeding from hrt.  Were you sent for a biopsy or what did your gp say you should do?
Angel, I can't offer much advice but just want to say I know that terrible anxiety as I had bleeding on Tibolone and still trying to get sorted.  The worry wears you out.

Dierdre

« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2018, 10:00:21 AM »

No I didn't go to the GP, it's normal to have spotting and even a full period in the first 6 months of a conti hrt while the hormones balance. The bleed is because the oestrogen builds up the lining and then the progesterone does its job and sheds the lining if it becomes too thick, hence the period. After 6 months this should settle as the hormones balance each other out and you don't bleed at all. Hope this makes sense. When I stopped using the patches I had a period for about a week and not had anything since. I just use local hrt now for VA, Vagifem and Ovestin.

suzysunday

« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2018, 04:35:12 PM »

OK thanks.  I didn't realise yours was in the first 6 months. Mine was after 18 months on tibolone.   Can you tell me how you are managing with just the local hrt?  I think I may just use that when I get  sorted,  which seems to be taking forever.  I have VA,  I hope the local will be enough and hope to have sex again one day!  Been off all hrt for weeks now and had a uti for days and return of hot flushes.
Pages: [1] 2