Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Good News for Menopause  (Read 1536 times)

Danz

Good News for Menopause
« on: September 08, 2018, 08:28:52 AM »

Today is a very good day in the campaign for better menopause education, information, advice & support. Last night shadow minister Carolyn Harris who I have met with several times tweeted me to let me know that there will be a back bench debate on menopause on October 18th, International Menopause Day. In other good news MP Rachel Maclean has also advised that she has arranged for myself and others to meet with a junior health minister to discuss menopause and what needs to change. Hooray!

Dancinggirl

Re: Good News for Menopause
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2018, 08:31:04 AM »

:ola: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:  DG x

Dotty

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2018, 08:55:17 AM »

Well done Danz 👍🏻

GypsyRoseLee

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2018, 10:10:19 AM »

That's amazing. Well done. If you need someone to speak with first hand experience of how someone with peri menopausal anxiety/depression got sent down totally the wrong (and potentially life damaging) path by GPs, then I would love to be involved and help.

My GPs (with the best of intentions, but hopelessly ignorant) involved me with the crisis team, a psychiatrist, counselling. At one point electro convulsive therapy was even touted, WTF??? I dread to think how much their ignorance cost the NHS.

My long and we'll documented history of severe PMS and PND was totally ignored and then dimissed out of hand by GPs. They refused to accept my problem could be hormonal. It was only after doing my own research and the advice and support from this wonderful place that I found my way to Prof Studd's door, and within a matter of weeks was well on the road to recovery. He was both furious and despairing at how I had been treated by the NHS and told me he saw hundreds of women each year who had suffered the same horrific experiences.

GypsyRoseLee

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2018, 10:27:18 AM »

Honestly, I could cry (and rage) hearing your story *Daisydot*. Prof Studd told me he had successfully treated women who had previously spent years in psychiatric units etc. He also believed that most cases of supposed bi polar in women could be successfully cured (not treated, actually cured) by hormone therapy. It's true that BP is far more common in women, and why is that?

Joaniepat

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2018, 11:29:42 AM »

Well done, Danz! Now that women are expected to be in employment until well past menopause, something needs to be done to raise the awareness of employers and, most importantly, the medical profession. Menopause and perimenopause bring a multitude of physical and mental problems, and yet women are expected to soldier on regardless. It just won't do! Perhaps if the powers that be are told this is bad for the economy they might sit up and take notice. I doubt anything else would move them  ::)

Great news if they are willing to listen, so good for you!  👏

JP x

alibeau

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2018, 04:48:22 PM »

:great: :great:

Marie62

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2018, 06:36:57 PM »

Good news Danz!! Menopause can make a lot of womens life miserable. I thought it was a few hot flushes and it would be over in a couple of years, I was wrong >:( I think there should be a lot more menopause clinics out there as the doctors I've seen didn't seem at all knowledge about treatments and just want to prescribe anti depressants for hormonal anxiety and depression.
I went to a menopause clinic but had to wait about 2 months for an appointment by that time my anxiety had gone, typical!
I know the NHS is struggling but going private is expensive for many.
I agree workplaces should be made aware that for some women the menopause can be debilitating and some form of help should be available.