Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Change to Femoston return of symptoms  (Read 945 times)

kristina12

Change to Femoston return of symptoms
« on: August 20, 2018, 06:28:42 AM »

I posted a couple of weeks ago as I had been prescribed Femseven conti but had struggled to get the prescription as there is a manufacturing problem. I had managed to get 4 patches and they were really helping me (even though I'm still perimenopausal - GP prescribed the conti as I've reacted badly to progestogens in the past so thought this may help and I think it did), the sweats had stopped, I was sleeping and my mood was better. I had to change though due to the manufacturing problem so my GP started me on a trial of Femoston 2/10 which I started last Tuesday, the same day that I removed my last patch.
Over the weekend though I have hardly slept and have been dripping wet and feel dreadful. I appreciate that it is very early days and my body will be adjusting. I'm just wondering whether anyone else has had a similar experience?
Thanks

Dancinggirl

Re: Change to Femoston return of symptoms
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2018, 07:24:01 AM »

It will take time for your body to adjust I'm afraid. The difference in oral and transdermal HRT can be quite significant in terms of absorption.
I am very surprised that your GP prescribed a conti hrt if your are peri meno as it would be highly likely you would get erratic and problematic bleeding!!
If you want a conti regime that is ok in peri meno and gives you a low dose of progesterone continuously, then having a Mirena fitted would be your best option. You may be one of those ladies that go better with continuous progesterone so the Mirena could well be best for you. Once the Mirena is fitted you can then use as much oestrogen as you need to control the flushes and around 60% of women have no bleeding with the Mirena after the first few weeks/ months.
Keep
Going with the Femoston for now to see if things settle. DG x

kristina12

Re: Change to Femoston return of symptoms
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2018, 06:08:27 PM »

Thank you for your helpful reply dancinggirl. Yes I did wonder myself about the conti patches and the possibility of bleeding. I had a couple of days of spotting when I first started but it stopped completely and I didn't have any further bleeding problems, although it may have returned if I had stayed on it. I did have quite a lot of breast pain though that never went away and constant aches in my legs all of which I suspected may be due to the continuous progestogen, although I think I could have put up with this because the improvements that I experienced balanced it out for me. The breast and leg pains have subsided slightly already on the femoston so I think I just need to give it time for things to settle down and see how I get on.
I have had a mirena coil many years ago for heavy bleeding and didn't get on with that so I wonder whether the continuous progestogen would have caused me more problems eventually.
I think I just need to try to be patient and see how I get on with the femoston and hope that eventually it takes away all of the problem symptoms again.