Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11]

Author Topic: Oestrogel and Oestrodose - they are exactly the same  (Read 45187 times)

Hurdity

Re: Oestrogel and Oestrodose - they are exactly the same
« Reply #150 on: February 01, 2020, 09:01:02 PM »

Hi anneaug

:welcomemm: and the mad and not so mad world of menopausal women on HRT!

It would be great if you could tell us how old you are and how far along the menopause journey you are - what your periods have been doing in the months leading up to your starting HRT and  any other relevant info, including what symptoms you are hoping to alleviate with HRT?

As you know from this long-running thread this issue has run and run. I contacted Besins to clear up some of the wild rumours circulating about generics and inferior products and inferior gels manufactured in Asia etc and as you will have seen at the beginning of this thread and at intervals - reported pretty much verbatim what Besins reported. I think the issue of Parallel licences has already been covered in this long thread!

See below the post where I reported back from my correspondence with Dr Louise Newson. AS she sees most women in a private capacity then obviously if they tell her they preceive a difference in Oestrogel from Oestrodose she will give them what they ask for - after all they are paying - so she's not going to aruge with them!

Note she was wondering about the pump mechanism not any smell of alcohol but Besins assured me that the amount dispensed is identical - after all it would have to be to comply with it being permitted as a parallel import i would say since the amount dispensed per pump and the amount of active ingredient is the same. Any very minute differences (and even human action could lead to this) would not be noticed.

UPDATE FOLLOWING RECENT DISCUSSION WITH DR LOUISE NEWSON

There has been continued speculation about the differences between Oestrogel and Oestrodose at various times and on various threads on this forum.

Just to recap – Besins manufacture both Oestrogel and Oestrodose at their plant in Belgium and they report that these are both the same product with different names, and have been tested extensively at different temperatures etc. Oestrogel is for the UK market and Oestrodose is for the French and other markets. The Oestrodose in the UK is imported via parallel import companies and repackaged (outer carton and pump pack, not the inner pouch containing the gel). Although stability studies (in terms of storage time and temperature) have been carried out using the Oestrodose/Oestrogel at Besins lab, they have stated they have no control over the product once it leaves their factory so cannot comment on storage conditions.

In view of the ongoing controversy surrounding this, and because she has been mentioned by forum members in the context of this debate at various times, I have been in discussion with Dr Louise Newson and she is happy for me to post her views on this forum.

She tells me that she has personally spoken to Besins several times about the gels, and that she has been given exactly the same information that I have – that the Oestrogel and Oestrodose that they manufacture there are identical in composition and just named differently.

In addition she says the following:

“Many women do not notice the difference between the two types. However, I certainly have several women who have told me that their symptoms have returned with using the oestrodose instead of the oestrogel. I wonder whether the pump action is slightly different so they receive slightly less of the gel. It is for this reason that I only dispense oestrogel in my clinic. So as a general rule if women use the alternative preparation which they have obtained from their GP without any problems then I would not be concerned but if they experience symptoms then I would encourage them to go back to using oestrogel. They can use their NHS prescription www.theindependentpharmacy.co.uk who usually only dispense oestrogel.

I think women should know that most of them will be fine but if they notice a difference then they should get the original pump packs”

I raised the issue of the pump pack previously with Besins and they assured me that their pump pack delivered exactly the same amount. However as Louise points out there remains the possibility that the pump packs produced by some of the parallel importers are slightly different meaning some women might get less of the gel – and which some women may be more sensitive to?

The issue of itching is an entirely different matter and remains unresolved – there is no evidence to suggest there is a difference but as we have said several time before anyone experiencing a persistent allergic reaction only on the one product which resolves on changing and re-appears when Oestrodose is used – should report this to the MHRA, take a note of the batch number and also report to Besins because a compositional difference would imply fraud as the patient leaflets clearly state the ingredients, which are identical.

I hope this helps to clarify some of the issues raised. My intention in researching this was to help other women and reassure those who were concerned as well as to dispel rumours about the origins and composition of Besins Oestrodose which turned out to be unfounded.

Here's to a continued flush-free experience girls using whatever product you choose! :)

Hurdity x

You said you took back the gel because of the smell so haven't tried it? I suggest you might be overthinking it! The amount of research you have done is admirable but perhpas muight cause oyu anxiety if you worry about it too much.

I would say - get using the gel - whichever name it has on it, and concentrate on feeling well now that you have started on your hRT journey!

All the best and here's to a long and flush free post-menopausal life!

Hurdity x

anneaug

• First Flush
« Reply #151 on: February 02, 2020, 01:13:08 PM »

Yes, I am sure I am probably overthinking it, that wouldn't be uncharacteristic  :) That said, the Oestrodose did smell much more, and the ingredients - while the same as Oestrogel - are presented in a different order on the bottles (on the original labels, don't know about the leaflets). If ingredients do have to be listed by predominance then it might suggest a slight difference in formulation which might explain why the Oestrodose has a more alcohol-y smell. Anyway, I know you and others have been investigating this for some time and so I don't suppose I'm raising anything that hasn't been discussed before...

I don't think I'd fully appreciated how much of an impact (peri)menopause was having on me, and for how long, until I started HRT and those symptoms began to disappear/lessen. Like many women, I am sure, I don't want to go back to that place and so the prospect of a (perceived or real) less effective drug that saves the NHS pence rather than pounds is troubling.

I used the Oestrodose for one day before returning it, so no, not long enough to say what difference if any it might have had. I read, either on this thread or another one, that some women related more relief for emotional/psychological symptoms in addition to physical ones with Oestrodose. So maybe I should have persisted! Let's see what the pharmacist gives me next time...

I have moved the rest of this post to https://www.menopausematters.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,46860.0.html at Hurdity's suggestion.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2020, 06:16:06 PM by anneaug »

Hurdity

« Reply #152 on: February 02, 2020, 04:50:14 PM »

Hi again anneaug

Thanks for all that info! Sorry I should have suggested you started a new post as it would be good to have a thread of your own to talk about your particular situation rather than this one as I want to try to keep it to the oestrodose/Oestrogel question - for future reference if possible, and for others to see as well. My fault!

Anyway - if you are peri-menopausal then notwithstanding any perceived differences in alcohol content (!), you will experience ups and downs anyway due to youre own cycle as HRT does not suppress it, so you wouldn't be able to attribute any changes definitively to anything really.

re the actual gels - well there is no reason to suppose they are different because of what Besins have told us and also because the gel is packaged into a sealed polyproylene pouch - and only afterwards has the outer plastic bottle thingy and pump mechanism put on. Having seen some of these TV programmes inside the factory (fascinating) - I can picture all the processes going on - the big vat where all the ingredients are put together, mixed up and cooked and made into the gel - then off it goes to be squeezed into all the pouches. Then I imagine all the pouches going off to a completely different part of the factory where the outer carton is fixed on - and this would be a different conveyor belt depending what it was going to be called for which country....

The issue raised by Mis71mum the other day is different ie have they recently changed the formulation of oestrogel itself - but personally I wouldn't have thought so as they would then have to do another load of testing, and stability studies - Besins told me they did 3 year stability studies re temeprature to ascertain shelf life. Anyway all sort sof issues raised here. However we'll wait to hear about that one.

Why don't you start a new thread - even repeating the information about yourself that you have put here - so that more members can welcome you and answer as your post will get lost in here as not many read this thread I don't think? - It's a bit esoteric!!! Members probably think here we go again - I certainly do  ;D

All the best :)

Hurdity x

anneaug

• First Flush
« Reply #153 on: February 02, 2020, 06:17:32 PM »

Good point, Hurdity, I have moved the stuff about my symptoms etc to here: https://www.menopausematters.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,46860.0.html to keep this thread about Oestrogel and Oestrodose.

Hurdity

« Reply #154 on: July 03, 2020, 02:50:47 PM »

I'm bumping this as it's come up again so anyone interested can read the tale!

Hurdity x

hrthelps68

• First Flush
« Reply #155 on: September 21, 2020, 03:01:08 PM »

No, they are not exactly the same!!! I was doing great on oestrogel, then was given the parallel import by my pharmacy and went rapidly downhill. Got a fresh prescription and insisted on the uk non-parallel import (pharmacist now looks out for my prescription and makes sure she doesn't get the import) ... back to feeling great again.
Don't listen to ANYONE who insists there's no difference - THERE IS!!
And you don't need to take my word for it - follow this link, which takes you to a post from the eminent menopause expert Dr Louise Newson explaining why:
https://www.menopausedoctor.co.uk/menopause/oestrodose#

Hurdity

« Reply #156 on: September 25, 2020, 12:07:29 PM »

Hi hrthelps68

:welcomemm:

I'm sorry to hear that you went downhill when you changed your HRT prescription. There are all sorts of reasons why this might be, not necessarily to do with the preparation you were using. Perhaps you could introduce yourself either in this or the new members section and tell us something about yourself, and where you are on the menopause journey, and we might be able to help?

I have looked at the link and in fact nothing that Dr Newson says in that article confirms that any difference whatsoever has been demonstrated and in fact her wording very carefully avoids this. She uses the word "version" - without specifiying and it has been established that the difference is in naming and packaging - the identical Besins gel manufactured by them for some other EU countries and supplied as a parallel import to UK is called Oestrodose.  If you read the thread (which unfortunately goes off on somewhat fanciful and irrelevant tangents sometimes as I recall) you will see that I was in touch with Dr Newson about this and I quoted her response which I will repost here for the benefit of other members.

As previously advised on this thread and more recently on her website by Dr Newson herself - anyone who experiences any form of side effects or allergic reaction on the parallel import Oestrodose rather than Oestrogel - must report it through the yellow card scheme because it is only through this that any improper practices by the importers that might sometimes take place, would come to light.

This thread (and my investigation) was originally started because there were all sorts of odd theories going about eg that Oestrodose was a generic estradiol gel with different ingredients and formulation manufcatrued in Asia or elsewhere, leading to marked differences in absorption and therefore estradiol levels. The detailed correspondence I had with Besins established that in fact this was not the case.

Many members were concerned that they were being given a product that would not work and was inferior and in fact recent media hype by some sort of celeb menopause/health person (can't remember her name) calling this a scandal, only served to cause needless additional worry to probably thousands of women.

My aim was to establish what was known, report on what I found and hopefully allay women's fears at a time in their lives when they need to have confidence in the product they are using. This is not to minimise any ongoing distressing symptoms that some women are experiencing which they feel can only be explained by the change to the parallel import. So far, though we have not got any actual evidence of any differences, notwithstanding women's personal experiences.

I hope everyone who is struggling to find the correct regime and dose of HRT is able to do so in order to feel the best they can as they progress along this sometimes difficult journey :)

Hurdity x

UPDATE FOLLOWING RECENT DISCUSSION WITH DR LOUISE NEWSON

There has been continued speculation about the differences between Oestrogel and Oestrodose at various times and on various threads on this forum.

Just to recap – Besins manufacture both Oestrogel and Oestrodose at their plant in Belgium and they report that these are both the same product with different names, and have been tested extensively at different temperatures etc. Oestrogel is for the UK market and Oestrodose is for the French and other markets. The Oestrodose in the UK is imported via parallel import companies and repackaged (outer carton and pump pack, not the inner pouch containing the gel). Although stability studies (in terms of storage time and temperature) have been carried out using the Oestrodose/Oestrogel at Besins lab, they have stated they have no control over the product once it leaves their factory so cannot comment on storage conditions.

In view of the ongoing controversy surrounding this, and because she has been mentioned by forum members in the context of this debate at various times, I have been in discussion with Dr Louise Newson and she is happy for me to post her views on this forum.

She tells me that she has personally spoken to Besins several times about the gels, and that she has been given exactly the same information that I have – that the Oestrogel and Oestrodose that they manufacture there are identical in composition and just named differently.

In addition she says the following:

“Many women do not notice the difference between the two types. However, I certainly have several women who have told me that their symptoms have returned with using the oestrodose instead of the oestrogel. I wonder whether the pump action is slightly different so they receive slightly less of the gel. It is for this reason that I only dispense oestrogel in my clinic. So as a general rule if women use the alternative preparation which they have obtained from their GP without any problems then I would not be concerned but if they experience symptoms then I would encourage them to go back to using oestrogel. They can use their NHS prescription www.theindependentpharmacy.co.uk who usually only dispense oestrogel.

I think women should know that most of them will be fine but if they notice a difference then they should get the original pump packs”

I raised the issue of the pump pack previously with Besins and they assured me that their pump pack delivered exactly the same amount. However as Louise points out there remains the possibility that the pump packs produced by some of the parallel importers are slightly different meaning some women might get less of the gel – and which some women may be more sensitive to?

The issue of itching is an entirely different matter and remains unresolved – there is no evidence to suggest there is a difference but as we have said several time before anyone experiencing a persistent allergic reaction only on the one product which resolves on changing and re-appears when Oestrodose is used – should report this to the MHRA, take a note of the batch number and also report to Besins because a compositional difference would imply fraud as the patient leaflets clearly state the ingredients, which are identical.

I hope this helps to clarify some of the issues raised. My intention in researching this was to help other women and reassure those who were concerned as well as to dispel rumours about the origins and composition of Besins Oestrodose which turned out to be unfounded.

Here's to a continued flush-free experience girls using whatever product you choose! :)

Hurdity x

scrubdub

« Reply #157 on: September 25, 2020, 06:53:55 PM »

I'm now on oestrodose and I'm doing really well on it. Can't said I've noticed much of a difference only that the oestrodose is a bit more liquid than the oestrogel but I know some have had problems with it.
S x

aphrabehn

• First Flush
« Reply #158 on: May 10, 2021, 07:22:44 AM »

Hi, I also noticed a difference over the last three years between gels but on checking the ingredients and manufacturer I thought it must have been my own hormonal fluctuations.

Then I was doing well, losing weight and reducing hot flushes for two months and started a new gel and within a few days I was anxious, bloating and flushing. After a week I felt so desperate that I went to my pharmacy to ask about it and was asked which version I was struggling with, I checked the packaging and was told that yes, this was what they expected me to say as other women had come and said the same things: estrodose just doesn’t work in the same way as estrogel. So weird???

My Doctor agreed to change my prescription immediately and I started afresh with estrogel. Symptoms improved rapidly.

I understand the logic put forward by Hurdity, I had ignored the issue myself as it seemed impossible for this to be the cause of the change in my response. However the reality is: it did make a vast difference.

I feel relieved that I now have the gel that works for me but also wish I had found out sooner after two years of wildly fluctuating symptoms that I blamed on myself rather than the actual cause of two gels that were frankly not performing the same for my body.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11]