Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Sleeping  (Read 2988 times)

littleminnie

Sleeping
« on: July 02, 2018, 07:27:58 AM »

How are you sleeping in the heat.  I get so hot at night I almost wish it was winter. I sleep with the fan on, the curtains are closed all day to keep it cooler. I'm on top of the bed and sleep in next to nothing and I'm still too hot.

Taz2

Re: Sleeping
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2018, 11:25:19 AM »

It's very difficult isn't it? I think it's the same for most people though. We were sat out in the garden till 1 this morning as the house was so hot and outside was perfect. I find that fans and air conditioning units keep me awake with the noise!

Taz  :meltdown: :meltdown:

Two hoots

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2018, 12:41:19 PM »

I bought a cooling gel pillow last year because the back of my head would get really warm in bed and found it good. This last few weeks I don't think I would have slept much without it, I've been putting it in the fridge before putting in in my bed, it's been bliss on my legs and feet  :)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2018, 01:18:12 PM »

We sat out last night until 10.45 then had a bath - it was warm as there was no air through the property but I slept. Well.  If it is too hot upstairs I sleep in the lounge.

littleminnie

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2018, 06:00:01 PM »

Crushed ice in a hot water bottle is one suggestion I've read to keep cool.
Might try it.

jillydoll

• Hiya
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2018, 11:29:01 PM »

I keep the curtains closed in the bedroom too,
The sun is on the back garden all afternoon, and our bedroom
is at the back, it's like an oven at bedtime,
My fan is on full blast, OH, is downstairs with the dog, so the plus is
I've got the bed to sprawl out on all by myself....lol
OH said it does get lovely and cold about 3/4am, and he loves it.

grumpyjane

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2018, 09:29:46 PM »

When I was in UK, I used to sleep on the floor downstairs if it was really hot!

Rosebush

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2018, 12:29:26 PM »

I purchased some koolpaks for my knee's and lower back pain, use these to cool my part of bed and pillow.. :)

dulciana

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2018, 02:18:36 AM »

It's just after 3am and I'm up, unable to sleep in our room.  We have a wasps' nest on the outside of our flat, just above our bedroom window.  We have been trying for nearly a week to get someone to come and get rid of it but it's posing a problem because it's high up. (Double flat, with another double flat below us). For several nights now, we've not been able to open the window in our room and it's just getting so stuffy.  It's been slightly affecting my breathing, which is a bit scary.  We've managed to get Rentokil to come at lunchtime today - just for an initial look, but hopefully they'll get rid of the thing ASAP after that - and I just can't wait.  Meanwhile, I dream of fresh air, rain.....aah, bliss!  :)
« Last Edit: July 11, 2018, 02:21:30 AM by dulciana »

Spangles

« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2018, 05:16:37 AM »

I just wake up more tired than I was when I went to sleep in the first place. I can't remember the last time I closed my bedroom curtains, my windows are wide open too. I've been awake since 4am and I must say it's really quite pleasant as its not heated up yet.
May buy a cool pillow today.
xXx

dulciana

« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2018, 01:03:17 PM »

I just wish we COULD open our bedroom windows!  I absolutely long to be able to do that at the moment.  Heatwave and no fresh air to breathe at night because of this **** wasps' nest...........awful combination!   :o

CLKD

« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2018, 01:04:09 PM »

Have a look-see on your local facebook page and see if anyone is advertising.  I don't suggest killing critters except in circumstances similar to yours.  Ask your local bee group as wasps are known for invading nests!

dulciana

« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2018, 11:24:59 AM »

Well, that's pest control been and gone, and the little waspies have been dealt with.  The person who went up in the "crane" to do the job said it was the highest one he'd ever had to do (our bedroom's on 4th floor).  Anyway, the poor little darlings (i.e. the wasps, not pest control!) are now dancing around like there's no tomorrow - and hopefully, for them, there's not  >:(   We're probably going to de-camp to the spare room tonight, just until the fumes and stingy thingies have completely gone.  Oh, the joys of summer.......!  ::)
« Last Edit: July 13, 2018, 11:28:27 AM by dulciana »

CLKD

« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2018, 12:38:02 PM »

Sad though  :'(.   They aren't easy to move like bees can be though.  Did you get the chance to see the nest?

dulciana

« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2018, 12:49:38 PM »

I love animals, CLKD, but I'm afraid I don't see this as sad - not when we've had to keep our bedroom window shut for a week, in a heatwave, for fear of getting stung!  No, we couldn't see the nest because it was/is in an inaccessible place at the side of our dormer window, four floors off the ground.
Pages: [1] 2