Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Kate Spade Suicide  (Read 1880 times)

Tempest

Kate Spade Suicide
« on: June 12, 2018, 10:05:29 PM »

https://edition-m.cnn.com/2018/06/06/us/kate-spade-husband-statement/

I only just found out about this. Kate Spade was the designer who created iconic handbags that many of us will remember (I own 2 - they were my favourite work totes).

What's so very sad about this was that Kate was 55 and was being 'treated for her disease' (quote) of anxiety and depression for 5 years before she took her life.

I cannot help but wonder if menopause was either the cause or catalyst in this. It has been widely debated that L'wren Scott who was the late partner of Mick Jagger and who committed suicide at a similar age was struggling with her menopause at the time of her death, although she did have other financial issues too.

I think it is fair to say regardless of what the official 'cause' was of these women's utter despair, that these years are very difficult for many women. Suddenly, capable women from all backgrounds find themselves thrown into a physical and mental chaos that is difficult to comprehend and truly, utterly feel like they may be losing their mnds - topped with other challenges and pressures that mid life brings.

Of course, we hear that some women do indeed sail through this time (I hate this phrase), but for most of us here this hasn't been the case.

This is why we should never stop talking about menopause - to raise awareness and help women realise that they are not alone, not crazy and that peer and professional support is available (even if the latter is something of a battle for many of us)!

RIP Kate - clever and creative lady. A very sad loss indeed.

« Last Edit: June 12, 2018, 10:07:24 PM by Tempest »

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Kate Spade Suicide
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2018, 10:37:58 PM »

I had never heard of her.

Depression can be fatal.  Despair is what I felt many times.

Daisydot

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2018, 10:40:12 PM »

I'm Lying here typing on my iPad mini Tempest which is in a Kate spade folder,beautiful quality item.such a sad loss and waste of a young life.
R.I.P Kate x

rebel2

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2018, 10:28:34 AM »

I agree Tempest - I know of a woman who struggled badly with meno and took her own life about 10 years ago.  We need lots more talk and acceptance about it.   I've gone from being a confident, capable go-getter to an anxious mess, obsessed about my health.   I took semi-retirement and was looking forward to being a lady who lunches, but instead I spend my life googling symptoms and stressing about yet another ache or pain. 

RIP to all those who feel there is no other way out.  Whilst I feel very sad for their families, I do understand their despair.

Kathleen

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2018, 06:08:58 PM »

Hello ladies.

I think Meg Matthews ( former partner of Noel Gallagher ) said that she was housebound with menopausal anxiety and Carol Vorderman said she felt suicidal before HRT.

If some women really do  'sail through their menopause‘ I would dearly love to know why but I doubt there will ever be any research into the matter, mores the pity.

Take care all.

K.