Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Calcification in left breast  (Read 6902 times)

KAH

Calcification in left breast
« on: May 23, 2018, 01:34:44 PM »

Hey ladies,
I've been to the breast clinic this morning to check out a lump under my arm pit, it turns out that's fine but I have calcification in my left breast. They did 2 separate mammograms and I now have to go back for a biopsy on 4th June (would have been sooner but we're away next week).

I'm terrified, my anxiety is already off the scale without this too! I'm only 43, is it unusual at my age? I totally freaked out and so the lovely nurse showed me the images on her computer, it just looked like 4 or 5 tiny dots which of course means nothing to me! Just wondered if anyone else has had similar and what was the outcome? Thank you xx

Daisydot

Re: Calcification in left breast
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2018, 02:09:05 PM »

Hi KAH apparently it's normal for this to occur in younger women and it's a common effect of the ageing process in the over 60s and not to be unduly worried, your doctors are just being cautious.Go and enjoy your holiday and deal with it when you get back nothings going to change between now and then so be kind to yourself xx good luck xx

Dorothy

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2018, 02:13:17 PM »

It doesn't sound as if they think it's serious, they are just being super-cautious.  Try to enjoy your holiday, though I know it's easier said than done.

Cassie

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2018, 02:16:52 PM »

Its totally normal, I had it from 40, and always have to have an ultrasound, relax you will be fine.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2018, 02:58:36 PM »

Will you enjoy your holiday?  If there was any urgency you would have been advised to cancel.  The Surgeon told us to go away as he couldn't do any surgery until after we were back home anyway.

What's causing the lump under the arm pit, localised infection?

KAH

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2018, 03:06:09 PM »

Will you enjoy your holiday?  If there was any urgency you would have been advised to cancel.  The Surgeon told us to go away as he couldn't do any surgery until after we were back home anyway.

What's causing the lump under the arm pit, localised infection?
Thank you ladies, the lump in armpit turned out to be normal tissue or something!
Cassie, did you have to have a biopsy?

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2018, 03:07:00 PM »

Dare I suggest 'fat'  :-X ........ or lazy muscle feeling like a lump.

KAH

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2018, 04:11:52 PM »

I had this a few years ago. I had a needle biopsy and the consultant then wanted to do a mammatone biopsy a few weeks later. A marker is then left in the breast to show the area of calcification for future biopsies.
Thank you Katsclaws, I'm having a vacuum assisted biopsy using the mammogram machine so they can look at the surrounding area too. What was the outcome for you? All good by the sounds of it?

Cassie

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2018, 04:56:05 PM »

No I did not have a biopsy.

bramble

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2018, 05:24:13 PM »

I had a recall to the breast clinic a few years ago. Had another mammogram and they took a biopsy. Also injected dye as a marker. Biopsy was fine - told it was calcification.
Try not to worry and enjoy your holiday.
Bramble

KAH

« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2018, 06:02:13 PM »

I had a recall to the breast clinic a few years ago. Had another mammogram and they took a biopsy. Also injected dye as a marker. Biopsy was fine - told it was calcification.
Try not to worry and enjoy your holiday.
Bramble
Thank you Bramble x

Dana

« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2018, 06:15:37 AM »

Exactly the same thing happened to me recently. They found some calcification in my left breast in a mammogram. The doctor told me it was unlikely to be anything, but even if it was it is so small it would be dealt with, with nothing to worry about.

The vacuum assisted biopsy was a piece of cake and over pretty quickly. I even got chocolate cake afterwards. I didn't even get any stitches to show for it. Just a patch that I took off after a couple of days. They insert a tiny titanium clip just in case it does need follow up treatment, and that will stay there forever. I got the all clear within 24 hours. You'll be fine.

The way I look at it now is that throughout the whole process I've now had ultrasounds and dozens of mammograms so there is no way in hell I have any BC at this point in time. Lol.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2018, 06:20:35 AM by Dana »

paisley

« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2018, 07:30:06 AM »

HinKAH
Just to let you know I had the same. A gynecologist  found a small lump in my left breast. She sent me for an ultrasound & like you I was terrified. It came back as a cyst & they also found a fibroid. They said everything was ok & to go back in September for another ultrasound. It's good that they check these things out though isn't it?

KAH

« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2018, 07:39:50 AM »

Exactly the same thing happened to me recently. They found some calcification in my left breast in a mammogram. The doctor told me it was unlikely to be anything, but even if it was it is so small it would be dealt with, with nothing to worry about.

The vacuum assisted biopsy was a piece of cake and over pretty quickly. I even got chocolate cake afterwards. I didn't even get any stitches to show for it. Just a patch that I took off after a couple of days. They insert a tiny titanium clip just in case it does need follow up treatment, and that will stay there forever. I got the all clear within 24 hours. You'll be fine.

The way I look at it now is that throughout the whole process I've now had ultrasounds and dozens of mammograms so there is no way in hell I have any BC at this point in time. Lol.
Thank you so much, that was exactly what I needed to hear! So pleased all was ok for you xx

KAH

« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2018, 12:18:22 PM »

Had my biopsy today, I was in the mammogram machine for an hour as the area they wanted the biopsy from was tricky to get to but hopefully they managed to get enough of a sample otherwise they'll need to do it all again😭!! Anxious 2 week wait now for the results!!
Pages: [1] 2 3