Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Periods ... erratic is not the word ... :(  (Read 1576 times)

Witch hazel

Periods ... erratic is not the word ... :(
« on: May 06, 2018, 10:05:41 AM »

Until early last year when I turned 50, I had been regular, almost to the hour never mind the day - 28 day cycle, 5-7 days on, bit of PMT moodiness, but nothing major.  Through last year I missed a few, then had a long break of about 3 months from about August onwards ... beginning to think the end was nigh.  Had an out of the blue but relatively normal period in November, then went back to more or less monthly until Feb.  Since then, I have been literally all over the place, at least 2 or 3 times a week, I wipe on the loo and there is a little smear of pink mucous (like a pregnancy "show") or some slightly brown staining, like I used to get towards the end of a period.  Every 2-3 weeks I get a heavier bleed, maybe for a couple of days which comes with little warning, major stomach cramps that come from nowhere and have me almost doubled over (can be quite awkward at work!).    I have never been to GP yet about any menopausal symptoms, just deal with it.  My mum passed away 6 years ago, so no one I can compare notes with.   

I have been lucky with other issues ... short periods of hot sweats, my "brain fog" comes and goes, and a few aches and pains, so think I am getting off relatively lightly, but just this constant insecurity about when/if I am going to be caught out with a sudden bleed or "guts ache" is getting me down.  Does this sort of experience ring true with anyone else here?  I don't feel the need to bother my doctor, as I am not ill, although I am due a smear test so may have a chat with the nurse then.

Any thoughts or advice much appreciated, thank you :)

Dotty

Re: Periods ... erratic is not the word ... :(
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2018, 10:14:29 AM »

That all sounds very normal for peri menopause.  Periods can become very erratic and different.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Periods ... erratic is not the word ... :(
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2018, 03:38:20 PM »

:welcomemm:

Browse round.  Make notes.  My periods waxed and waned for several years.  I didn't stop carrying protection for 5 years after the last one  ::)