Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Vicious anxiety cycle is off again...  (Read 10048 times)

rebel2

Vicious anxiety cycle is off again...
« on: March 27, 2018, 03:23:19 PM »

Like many of you, my worst symptom has been anxiety.   Specifically health anxiety.   I have had numerous ailments, all of which sent me into meltdown, and all of which disappeared eventually.    But am now having worst physical bout - have been stressed for a lot of this year with a house move and various other things, so perhaps my body is just giving way, but it is a vicious cycle as I can't get rid of the health anxiety until the symptoms go, and I can't get rid of the physical symptoms until the anxiety goes..

At the moment is the old trapped wind under the left rib symptom - not there when I wake, then creeps up on my through the day and moves round to my back.  Goes if I'm with people and very busy/distracted but since Friday it has been constant and has become gurgling/IBS type feeling.  Had it twice before and each time it took several months to go completely.   I think constant anxiety just eventually gets to my stomach and eats away at it, and it just takes time to settle down again.  Drives me mad as life has settled down and all is going well now with lots to look forward to.   

Am going to bite the bullet and seek out a psychotherapist.  Have tried CBT but it's not for me, so want some serious professional help this time.   Can't get GP appointment for five weeks, so hope physical symptoms have gone by then. 

Just wanted sympathy!

Robin

Re: Vicious anxiety cycle is off again...
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2018, 03:51:19 PM »

Lots of sympathy from me rebel2.

I have struggled a lot with anxiety and depression since becoming perimenopausal and I also get that pain under my left rib. When it's especially bad my tummy just below that left rib pulls right in noticeably. It's really uncomfortable but I have no idea what is causing it other than I'm sure it's something to do with my tummy and bowel. It started over 30 years ago so long before menopause, anxiety and depression for me but I'm still here so I guess it can't be anything sinister. I do think anxiety and bowel issues often go hand in hand though.

I hope you manage to access a psychotherapist and get the support you're looking for.

Warm hugs
Robin

Snoooze

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2018, 04:08:37 PM »

Anxiety triggers IBS as does stress. My anxiety has been better the last 6 months but I've just had a stressful few weeks and my ibs is playing up and my anxiety creeping back in but I'm trying to fight it.

Daisydot

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2018, 04:27:24 PM »

Exactly the same here ladies I've been popping painkillers since start of weekend for pain up back to shoulders and ribs are sore.Its the same old same old for me,my stress levels have been so high these last couple of weeks and my bowels dredful.
I remember a few years ago my then go wanted to send me to a colorectal surgeon which being health anxious scared the crap out me so I went to my gp in Spain,I used to do three months there three month U.K.,charity work,anyway he told me I had picked up a bowel bacteria prob in the Caribbean and then gave me appropriate medicine,he also gave me sedatives as he said because of my health anxiety I was twisting my bowel and increasing my pain so I had to have a calmer life lol.he looked about 14 years old but he left my U.K. gp standing for common sense and he was so right.His meds sorted me out in a week but the twisting bowel sensation continues and gives me this pain when I'm over stressed,I really wish I had some good old Valium sometimes but that's like gold dust these days isn't it.back to the meditation I suppose lol.good luck ladies hope this sorry tale helps xx

Ambergirl

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2018, 07:40:26 PM »

Hi Daisydot,
I totally get the health anxiety thing now I am in the midst of menopause. I have had lots of weird aches and pains and currently have had pain in my lower right abdomen and groin for 2 months. I've had blood tests, an x-ray and ultrasound (which showed nothing odd) but I still have the pain and no answers. It is frustrating and I understand that you need sympathy too! I was offered cbt too and it just seemed like filling in bits of paper and ranking numbers of anxiety which totally did not help.
I would like to know if you get someone to talk to that helps as I was thinking of doing the same. Do keep telling yourself it will be fine and that is it just something to accept, treat as well as you can and above all be kind to yourself. :)

Daisydot

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2018, 08:38:43 PM »

Hi Ambergirl no I don't have anyone other than my perfect husband of 43 years lol I don't half chew his ear at times but he is my rational half.You just have to keep telling yourself it's mind games the hormones are playing.dont let anyone tell you that your pains are not real because they are it's how you deal with them that matters.rest the mind and the body,I couldn't even begin to tell you the anxiety I've had over health issues but I'm still here plodding away.take care xx

Dorothy

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2018, 09:30:50 PM »

I do sympathise soooooo much.  I'm currently stressing that a mole is cancerous, even though I've had it all my life and it hasn't changed or grown at all!  Seriously?!!!!!  If I'd been carrying round a cancerous lump for nearly 43 years, I think it would have 'got' me by now, but arguing logically doesn't stop the stress!  I know in a couple of weeks, I'll have moved on to worry about something else...

rebel2

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2018, 07:34:58 AM »

Thanks everybody.  Am trying to fight it and determined to win.   What is so distressing is that I have a lovely life except for this anxiety and feel loads of it is passing by as I just want to get to the point where I'm ‘better'.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2018, 11:36:59 AM »

You can have sympathy.  Have you tried anti-anxiety medication, sorry I can't remember ........ Rescue Remedy can help too as can eating regularly to keep blood sugar levels even.

Yammy1

« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2018, 12:19:52 PM »

Hi rebel2. So sorry to hear your anxiety is so bad. I've been doing well since starting ads in November but the anxiety is creeping back  >:(. I woke during the night with cheat pain and feelings extremely  dizzy, cought m off guard as I couldn't explain dizziness while I was just sleeping not bending or moving around. I actually stayed in bed this morning thinking what's the point in carrying on feeling scared and anxious all the time. Feeling my family would be better off without me, I'm up now and thinking a lot straighter, I know this will pass but it's so bloody annoying just when I was getting used to feeling a bit more 'normal' this health anxiety creeps back. I always think I'm going to take a heart attack even though I've been checked out and told my heart is fine, I think the only way I'll believe this is if the cardiologist moves in with me lol. I really hope you feel better soon, just pray for an end to this nightmare. Sending  :bighug:
« Last Edit: March 28, 2018, 01:02:59 PM by Yammy1 »

Daisydot

« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2018, 01:02:29 PM »

Here's one for you too yammy1  :bighug: 😘

CLKD

« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2018, 01:50:44 PM »

'vicious' that's a really good word for anxiety ......... relentless too sometimes  >:(

dulciana

« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2018, 01:56:02 PM »

And it comes and goes, too, doesn't it?   I find it wrecks my sleep, which then makes me feel worse, which brings on the health anxiety again.............

CLKD

« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2018, 02:55:18 PM »

That may be cortisol, the hormone that wakes us.  I would wake suddenly in deep dread .......... appropriate medication helped.

rebel2

« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2018, 09:37:07 AM »

Am really miserable with this now.  Can't get rid of weird trapped wind feeling under left rib - it goes around the back and then gurgling starts.   I don't think it is there when I first wake [and I slept through last night - over 7 hours!] but I tend to 'scan' my body to check for issues and then it creeps back, along with adrenaline surges, which I suppose just exacerbate the whole issue.   Last time I broke the cycle by trying sertraline, which caused horrendous anxiety/stomach cramps so I gave up and, hey presto, all stomach issues went for a couple of months.

I was fine until further stress/anxiety built up over a month or so and then it started again. Do you think I will have to accept that I have some kind of stress related IBS issues now?
Pages: [1] 2 3 4