Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Singing  (Read 4617 times)

Roseneath

Singing
« on: March 07, 2018, 03:16:33 PM »

In my Meno hell year I just tried to reflect on if any of the Alternative therapies made a jot of different. I've tried them all....vitamins, herbs, CRT, Mindfullness, fresh air, menopause vits & cook books green tea, soya whatnots, yoga, reiki,  Spent hundreds . But one thing I've done is join a choir (can't sing) and it's just the best thing. Mostly friendly pensioners belting out oldies. Gets me out and not wallowing. I never want to go but come back with a spring in my step.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Singing
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2018, 05:36:38 PM »

:thankyou:  singing and music in general is known to break down barriers World wide as well as helping people.  It is used more and more with dementia-type conditions, because people can remember "It's a Long Way to Tipperary" etc..  I sung from an early age but after 2 lots of surgery I can't hold a note  ::).  My voice cracks ........

Go GIRL GO!

Salad

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2018, 05:55:24 PM »

Totally agree! Love my Wednesday Evenings  :madeyes:

What I lack in voice I make up for in memorising the words plus I go with my best friend and we spend most of the time laughing - perfect!

CLKD

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2018, 07:17:49 PM »

You may find your voice improves as you exercise it.  It also improves lung capacity and posture ;-)

dulciana

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2018, 03:15:55 PM »

:thankyou:  singing and music in general is known to break down barriers World wide as well as helping people.  It is used more and more with dementia-type conditions, because people can remember "It's a Long Way to Tipperary" etc..  I sung from an early age but after 2 lots of surgery I can't hold a note  ::).  My voice cracks ........

Go GIRL GO!

Couldn't agree more!    ;)
D. x

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2018, 03:17:07 PM »

I sing out loud in my sleep sometimes  ;D

dulciana

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2018, 03:18:43 PM »

Ah - a nocturne! 

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2018, 03:21:19 PM »

:lol: :great:

Sometimes my singing wakes DH  ;)

dulciana

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2018, 09:28:24 PM »

I hope he's applauding you!

dahliagirl

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2018, 09:07:13 AM »

Ah - a nocturne!   ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Singing and smiling are very good for you.  And dancing.
 :banana: :parti: :jiggy: :spin: :cancan:

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2018, 12:20:17 PM »

.......  :rofl:

Poppi

« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2018, 09:41:22 PM »

What a lovely thread  :whist:! I'm a retired music teacher and in January I started a "similar mature-aged Ladies choir" and we have a ball! After 35 years of kids not appreciating what I was trying to do with them (some of them did and I miss them to bits) my Girls love learning new songs and we even sing in harmony now AND entered out 1st competition! Didn't win this year but you bet we'll get closer next year!

Keep rockin' :cancan:

Poppi x

Dorothy

« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2018, 06:16:40 AM »

I always feel much better after a good sing and often warble away while I'm doing other things.  I'm sure it's good for my health.

Not so sure about the health of those within earshot though  ;D

CLKD

« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2018, 11:42:19 AM »

It bothers me a lot that music is no longer on the Curriculum.  That children are being pushed towards being academic in order to satisfy OFSTED  :'(

When I was in Primary School I played the recorder, there were 8 of us (I think).  In senior school I was in the choir, played recorder, clarinet; had piano lessons  :-\ [hated practice  :-X] and was in various plays/shows in School and later ......... Music heals.  Unites.  Drives some people mad  ;D

I am currently reading about Lily Isaacs who took up music at a very early age and her children joined in with her.  It's a real page turner!

Roseneath

« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2018, 03:23:11 PM »

Just refound this thread. A happy thread.  My kids violin (fiddle where we stay...) teacher took it up at the age of 60 as a challenge for his birthday. Taught himself. At 72 he is an amazingly gifted player who plays amazing classical pieces with the local orchestra. Inspiring. I am thinking of getting a ukulele but have difficulty spelling it!
Pages: [1] 2