Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Mirena coil experiences  (Read 2319 times)

ban-sithe

Mirena coil experiences
« on: February 26, 2018, 06:52:54 PM »

I had a Mirena put in in late December.  January was mostly fine, bit of cramping spotting.

February has been a horrendous month, especially the last 2 weeks.  Anxiety, palpitations, shakiness, racing heart, dizziness, shortness of breath, frequent dry hot flushes (especially this past week, week before my period is due), the odd bowel issue.

I've been referred to an endocrinologist, which has scared the bejeepers out of me. 

Anyone have or know of someone who has had Mirea and experienced similar? (I have found 1 other brief post from last year, I think). Thank you.

Dancinggirl

Re: Mirena coil experiences
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2018, 07:02:08 PM »

The Mirena can give some side effects in the first 2-3 months as there can be quite a big hit or progesterone at first but this is usually a bit of PMT and feeling slightly sedated.  Some do find that anxiety can creep in for a while.  How old are you and are you using some oestrogen as gel or patch ? 
Good you are seeing an endocrinologist as your symptoms could be thyroid related - don't worry about this as the thyroid often starts to play up when meno starts and it can be treated.  DG x

ban-sithe

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2018, 07:50:58 PM »

Hi DG,

I'm 45 (and a half). No, no oestrogen. I had seen mention of that a few places. To kind of counteract the hit of progesterone, I gather?  Thanks for bringing it up, it sounds like something I should discuss when I see my GP next.

And for mentioning the thyroid...I tend to be catastrophic/pessimist and go straight for the worst possible option!  I explored this with a previous GP a couple years ago, wondering even though my numbers were in the 'normal' range, perhaps it was abnormal for me (even though I gave her reference to 2 papers, I was still out of order for disagreeing with the 'numbers'). I've always struggled with temperature and appetite...about 20 years ago, I do remember a GP bringing it up, too...and neither of us doing anything more... Fingers crossed. Thank you, DG.

Woodlands

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2018, 08:19:17 PM »

Hello there.
I had the same with my first Mirena......NP added a 1mg of Oestrogen too and I never looked back.
On my second Mirena now and no oestrogen needed.
Woodlands xx