Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Sleep - how much do we really need?  (Read 1845 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Sleep - how much do we really need?
« on: January 23, 2018, 08:29:33 PM »

Apparently so many people are relying on sleep apps to suggest how much sleep they actually need, that their brains are more active than really necessary.  It has been suggested in this article over the weekend - of course, it's not to hand  ::) - did anyone read it?  that those lacking good quality sleep should have a slow-down routine.  Switching off gadgets and mobiles least 90 mins. B4 going to bed.  ALL NIGHT!  Warm bath, book, hot drink and hour B4 turning in.  Low light levels.  No reading or TV.

Also, as when hungry: even if one doesn't get the amount of sleep that one believes one requires, are you tired in the day?  Do you function without yawning, without worrying or feeling tired?  If so, regardless of the hours you are getting enough.

The brain will catch up.  If 1 has a bad night of sleep then try not to worry.  It will sort itself as long as one doesn't lay awake waiting to go to sleep.

4 me: hot bubble bath good book, cuppa; read for hours until I drop off if I go to bed not sleepy.  Usually though, because I know that I will catch up I rarely have problems.  For many years I was in a high-powered, full-on job.  For many years I didn't sleep well as my mind kept buzzing after lights out.  However, 1 night I thought 'well not sleeping hasn't killed me yet' and after that  ::).

I am aware too that if we need to get up 'early' then I don't sleep properly  ::)

Sweetscarlett

Re: Sleep - how much do we really need?
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2018, 09:54:53 PM »

Ditto CKLD

If I know I have to get up in the morning at a certain time I will wake every hour. I sleep better on the weekends when the pace is much slower, but I rarely 'sleep  in'

I will often go to bed before 10, aren't the hours before midnight supposed to be more beneficial ?

My hub has just got a fit-bit that actually records the patterns of sleeping, I'm not going to get one - too much pressure there I think.

Ssx ❤️❤️

Daisydot

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2018, 10:42:54 PM »

I love my Fitbit it was a gift and a godsend to me at one stage,I was doing physio and struggling and it didn't have give me the push I needed.I now use it to help with meditation and slowing my heart rate down when I feel stressed.i forgot about the sleep monitor I will do that tonight and try it thank you for reminding me lol.xx

CLKD

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2018, 12:04:38 PM »

I found then lost the article ....... as well as losing the 1 about could we live a week without plastic - where's my head these days  :'(

Dreams cause me the most problems regarding how well I sleep.  Busy, involved - I started a thread about that too several years ago  ::).

At least I don't wake with flushes: on/off, on/off -  I do wake when I get warm or when my bladder is full ....... but I can get back to sleep.

TheWorstWitch

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2018, 04:12:51 PM »

I'm with daisy - LOVE my FitBit and unquestionably if I wake in the morning feeling tired and sluggish there is a correlation there with disturbed sleep or just not enough of it.

I seem to recall reading somewhere that the suggestion for finding how much sleep you actually need is to set aside a few days in the middle of a holiday where there is no requirement for you to get up at any particular time, not set any form of alarm, go to bed at a sensible time and just seem what time you wake up at naturally on average. This is supposed to allow your body to give you its own message. For me I know anything less than 6 hours I struggle on a fair bit - if I can get closer to 7 then that's far better for me. The other thing I've found incredibly beneficial is having a pretty set bed-time - I have a reminder to start getting ready for bed at 10.30 and aim to be in bed by 11 - generally read for a few minutes but set the book aside as soon as I start feeling sleepy.

I usually wake fully at least once in the night - sometimes go to the loo but I'm gradually weaning myself off the habit of "always" going whether I need to or not, and these days waking up positively boiling hot isn't entirely unusual either!  ;D

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2018, 04:20:46 PM »

Does retirement count TheWW?  ;D

If we are going out and need to be up earlier than usual, I bang my head on the pillow the night B4 - as many times as I need.  Himself sets the alarm on his 'phone.  Always works.

Otherwise: it depends on what's going on in my Life.  Or how my bladder interrupts sleep patterns.  Or ......... recently I've had a good book and kept waking because I wanted to finish it  :D.  I had to give in eventually and finish reading it  ::)

TheWorstWitch

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2018, 04:27:35 PM »

;D ;D Yes I reckon retirement counts!

I've heard that about the head banging on pillow method - never worked for me but I seem to recall the Famous Five swore by it for sneaking out for midnight assignations?!

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2018, 04:28:40 PM »

:rofl:  or was that the Secret 7  ::)

If I bang my head I don't keep waking to see whether it's time to get up/not   :D