Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Reducing hrt dose.update.  (Read 2731 times)

suziq99

• GBX Marine
Reducing hrt dose.update.
« on: January 23, 2018, 04:54:20 PM »

Well I've been taking Climodien for a few months now, hot flushes with feelings of panic went within two weeks and night baths within three.
Generally I've been feeling ok, maybe a little bit down but manageable. But I've been piling on weight,  boobs are set to explore & have constant feeling of bloat,  I've been eating less & less tying to ease that feeling but it didn't really help. Almost forgot, also having very dry mouth & nose every morning.
I spoke to a friend also on hrt who suggested that the dosage was quite high to start on.2mg Estradiol, 2 mg Dienogest & suggested I try the same as her's Activelle which is 1mg Estradiol 0.5mg Noretisterona. Well I had a phone consultation with my Gyne who said yes ok give it a go.
Well I must admit I was / am a bit nervous by the big decrease but really wasn't expecting any immediate changes.
Within 12 hours ! I started having very mild period pains within 24 hours the pain was moderate accompanied by a headache at 3 in the morning. Well I had pains for 3 days & was sure I was going to bleed but no. Pains have gone away & bloat seems to be fading & most of all boobs aren't ready to explode.
Fingers crossed I can start shifting some weight now.
Any one else have this happen ?
« Last Edit: March 23, 2018, 12:39:26 PM by suziq99 »

Hurdity

Re: Reducing hrt dose.
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2018, 06:23:40 PM »

Hi suziq99 -The main thing is that you have changed the progestogen type as well as the oestrogen dose so it will be difficult to know what caused your problems. However if you begin to experience flushes and sweats again sometime over the next few weeks then this will be due to the reduction in oestrogen - it's quite a big drop to change suddenly from 2 mg to 1 mg. Also some of the symptoms may be due to continuous progestogen - although if the bloat and boobs are improving then they could have been due to either too high an oestrogen dose or that particular progestogen - Dienogest. Let's hope you stay feeling OK and manage to the lose the desired weight!

Hurdity x

suziq99

• GBX Marine
Re: Reducing hrt dose.
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2018, 10:30:39 AM »

Thanks for the reply Hurdity, yes I am a bit nervous about the big drop in E.
So maybe Activelle wasn't the best choice then, oh well.
Just finished my first week on the new pills so early days yet, so far so good.

« Last Edit: January 26, 2018, 10:37:45 AM by suziq99 »

suziq99

• GBX Marine
Re: Reducing hrt dose.update.
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2018, 12:38:48 PM »

After some advise ladies.
Well I've been on the lower dose tablets for just over two months now. No aches or pains from below, flushes staying away & only occasionally getting the cold flushes.
So generally things are not bad but...
Weight is still creeping up even though I have increased exercise & the dreaded bloating is coming back.
Going to wait it out for the magic 3 months, but what should I try next 😵 . Just coming up to first year period free & will be 53 next month. 

Mary G

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2018, 01:00:36 PM »

Suzi, if I remember rightly you are in Spain?   If so, you are very lucky because you can try Lenzetto (aka Evamist in the US) which is a new oestrogen spray that is not available in the UK but can be bought OTC in any Spanish pharmacy.   You may need to order it but I placed my order before 2pm and it arrived at the pharmacy later that day.   

Thanks to paisley on here, I have been trialling it and have to say that it is excellent and so easy to use, you spray it onto your inner forearm and it dries in a few seconds.  The pharmacist was told during a conference that it is a more successful delivery method than patches and even Oestrogel!

If you have a womb you will need a separate progesterone.

Definitely give Lenzetto a try, I think you will like it.   I love Oestrogel but I think this product is even better!

suziq99

• GBX Marine
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2018, 01:21:14 PM »

Yes Mary I am.
I am wondering if I should stop everything & see what happens. I'm thinking ?
That whatever I'm using is building up to much ? I'm fine after the first few weeks when things have settled down, then the bloating starts. With this second tablet it's actually starting sooner. I just don't understand.
Yes I still have all my bits, what prog would you suggest. ?
I guess it could be because it's conti but it's what the Gyne suggested.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2018, 01:23:09 PM by suziq99 »

Mary G

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2018, 01:42:37 PM »

Suzi, your current problems are most likely because you are taking progesterone every day.   My advice would be to stop you current HRT, have a period and start the Lenzetto and give yourself a good long run of oestrogen only for a few weeks before starting the progesterone.

If you tolerate the Climedien well, you could use that for 10 days each month to promote a bleed otherwise you can buy some Utrogestan or Provera at the pharmacy.

If you are post menopause, try doing a long cycle and take  progesterone every 8 weeks. 

It's definitely worth a try.

suziq99

• GBX Marine
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2018, 02:49:27 PM »

Just thinking, I did very well on Climen (sequential) when I was having regular periods do you think it would be ok to go back to that after no bleeds for 11 mths ?

Mary G

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2018, 03:13:08 PM »

Yes, it's very close so take a chance and go for it.  I take it you can buy it in the pharmacy in Spain?

suziq99

• GBX Marine
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2018, 03:38:16 PM »

Oh yes I took it several years ago when I had heavy bleeding. With hindsight I guess I could have been peri back then, had no idea.
I took it for about 3 years then had a break to see how things where, everything was ok so never went back on it.
Had a strange couple of years which ultimately ended up with periods stopping dead & intense flushes etc starting the very next month.

Hurdity

« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2018, 04:56:39 PM »

Hi suziq99 - I did say back in january that some of your symptoms could have been due to the continuous progestogen, so I would definitely try a cyclical HRT (which would give a withdrawal bleed - if you don't mind that). When you say no bleeds for 11 months - if you have been taking HRT the lack of bleed is  a consequence of your HRT regime. In any case there is no problem with taking a sequential HRT when you are psot-menopause - some of us continue to do so ( like me) even when well post-menopausal, because we don't like the effects of the continuous progestogens.

Let us know what you decide and how you get on :)

Hurdity x

suziq99

• GBX Marine
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2018, 06:53:43 PM »

Thanks Hurdity, yes I remember you said that but was hoping it was only the higher dose that was to blame. I had 7 or 8 mths period free before starting the conti my Gyne suggested it so I thought ok give it a go.
I have no problem going back to periods as long as it's not the floods again. I will give her a call & see what she says, but thanks to everyone here I now know a bit better what to ask for.