Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Dry eyes  (Read 4259 times)

lollipop

Dry eyes
« on: January 23, 2018, 07:37:08 AM »

Morning ladies quick question does anyone else suffer from dry itchy eyelids but your eyes are watery ????  It's been going on for a couple of weeks I personally think I am over meno worst symptoms no period since 2012 just wondered if it's part n parcel of this lovely journey we are going through lol xx

Daisydot

Re: Dry eyes
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2018, 08:08:55 AM »

Good morning lollipop.yes most definitely a “gift” from the menopause.dry eyes dry itchy ears dry sinus anywhere we we have membranes they dry out.theres a couple of good products I use one is brolene eye drops they're very good to have in house in case of minor eye infections which we are prone to because our eyes can't wash away foreign bodies like they used to and also viscotears liquid gel it's like fake tears,it's a gel so much better than drops or sprays I've found as it coats the eye and protects it,they're not costly and both available from boots,there are also supplements from Holland and Barrat you can take for eye health if you choose to but they're a bit costly if your on limited income.hope this helps they are really good products good luck xx

Joaniepat

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2018, 09:32:14 AM »

Yes, all part of the drying out that goes with menopause. There are glands in the eyelids which produce an oily substance that sits over the tear layer, keeping the surface of the eyeballs moist. These glands seem to become less efficient as the years pass, and so the moisture evaporates faster. This can have the effect of making your eyes watery and/or dry. Reach for the eyedrops before you get that gritty sensation. I always go for something preservative free.

JP x

JaneinPen

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2018, 10:19:52 AM »

Hi lollipop.  Like the other ladies I also use eyedrops most days because of dryness but a constant teary eye at different times of the day. They do help. I also use a Sterimar spray for my nose as I find when it is really cold out it dries out and becomes sore. The pharmacist at Boots recommended using it.  There are various ones but they are natural and last for ever. Made a big difference

Snoooze

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2018, 01:43:02 PM »

I have suffered badly with dry eyes during peri. Today they are paticularly dry. My Optician recommended some eye drops but I thought they were quite pricey so I just bought Boots own version recommended by the Pharmacist and they seem to relieve it.

People are confused when dry eyes water but it's the eye trying to relieve the irritation by producing more tears.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2018, 04:52:01 PM »

Recently, my whole body was dry, so bad that it kept me awake 4 a couple of nights.  Himself decided it's because Im' not drinking enough.  So have upped my liquid intake.

As oestrogen levels drop the body may become dry, inside and out: nostrils, deep in the ears, eyes, vagina  :o, skin, as well as muscles may become lax = aches and pains.  The Change ......

Me and Him use Vaseline hand cream on our skin regularly which helps. 
« Last Edit: January 23, 2018, 06:55:49 PM by CLKD »

lollipop

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2018, 06:55:27 PM »

Thanks for the replies I opted for viscotears used it twice today n already felt a difference 👍it's a real pain ain't it girls 😑xx

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2018, 06:56:07 PM »

Yep.  That's why it's known as The Change  >:(

lollipop

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2018, 07:24:30 PM »

I would rather not if I had my way lol my mom never warned me about any of this s**t n I am being polite using that word 😂🤣😆like I said I thought I was through the worst n slowly little  things are niggling at me probably just old age lol xx

Ruby10

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2018, 02:54:18 PM »

I get dry eyes and have noticed it getting worse with the peri symptoms.I use hyloforte eye drops from the doctor to use in the day. I use a lacri lube gel for at night which really helps stop my eyes feeling gritty and sore when i wake up.

JaneinPen

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2018, 09:35:25 PM »

I wish my ears didn't itch so much. I make them sore in the night. Don't know what to do to help.

Daisydot

« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2018, 09:40:56 PM »

Sometimes I noticed when I wash my hair I obviously get some shampoo/conditioner residue in my ears so the last twice I've showered I've put earplugs in my ears as I can't stand getting them wet inside and I have actually just realised they're not bothering me so much,maybe worth a try?.x

JaneinPen

« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2018, 07:49:31 PM »

Thanks Daisydot. I will give it a try. I do try very hard not to get my ears wet but there is always some splashes go in there and then I usually give them a blow with the hairdryer but it probably isn't good enough

Ruby10

« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2018, 10:00:39 PM »

Hi herdwick

My ears ar so itchy too it drives me mad, I use e45 itch cream which eases it .

JaneinPen

« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2018, 10:21:18 AM »

Thanks Ruby10.  I do have some E45 cream. Do you put it only on the outer not right inside ear as that itches too for me?