Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Insomnia  (Read 2322 times)

debbiedee639

Insomnia
« on: January 18, 2018, 12:27:53 PM »

Hi I am new to menopause matters , I had my ovaries removed in March 2017 I've been doing pretty well until about 7 weeks ago an I have been suffering terribly with insomnia , it has really knocked me off . Exhausted all the time it is interfering with work home life etc , starting to feel anxious with the lack of sleep . I have been taking tibolone to help with hot flushes an dryness which has helped for me . Then all of a sudden insomnia has hit an im really struggling . I'm wondering if I may need more estrogen any advice would be appreciated x

Dotty

Re: Insomnia
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2018, 12:37:44 PM »

How long have you been taking Tibilone for?

Dancinggirl

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2018, 12:45:41 PM »

Hi and welcome to MM debbiiedee639

Insomnia is a classic meno symptom which can be helped with HRT. Tibolone is good and will be stimulating oestrogen replacement and I found I slept really well on Tibolone but maybe you need to switch to a different HRT now?

Has something happened in your life to trigger this insomnia? Have you had flushes or nights sweats return at all?

I have to say it's a mystery to me as to why you suddenly started to have problems sleeping if you are on Tibolone !!
It could well be because you own oestrogen levels have now dropped really low and the tibolone isn't enough.

You could chat to your GP about trying some Oestrogel with a separate progesterone( Utrogestan or Provera) on a sequential HRT regime ( there will be a monthly bleed).  The Oestrogel dose can be very gradually increased over several weeks till you find the right dosage to improve things.  Look under TREATMENTS above for info on this - print it out to help the discussion with GP .  DG x

debbiedee639

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2018, 12:59:08 PM »

Hi thank you for the reply . I've been on tiblone for nearly 2 years i was put into chemical menopause prior to having ovaries removed an used tiblone throughout .
I am having a bit of a stressful time at the minute with having 3 kids on the spectrum an 2 going threw teenage years , I have ? If that is maybe the reason for the insomnia , but tbh the stress has always been there an I have slept fine , that's why I've been thinking it could be a change of hrt that is needed , but really don't want to go back to the monthly bleeds . X

Dotty

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2018, 01:04:19 PM »

There are other hrt meds that won't give you a monthly bleed.

Dancinggirl

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2018, 01:10:15 PM »

Hi again Debbie
Why not ask to have a Mirena  fitted and use Oestrogel alongside and this would result in a non bleed HRT regime. There are combined continuous HRTs available but progesterone used all the time can cause more side effects, this is why I suggested a sequential HRT. DG x

debbiedee639

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2018, 01:52:47 PM »

Thanks for reply's , I will be seeing my gyna end of feb so hopefully will come up with something , I am very sensitive to progesterone get very bad side effects so limited to what is available for me , if I could just get the insomnia sorted as everything else has been fine with using tibolone x Dotty I will speak to gyna see what the can offer without having a monthly bleed thanks .

Dancinggirl

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2018, 02:38:23 PM »

If Tinolonw has suited you ten do stick with it. Perhaps try some Nytol? -  the one from behind the counter at the chemist - it can help to break the pattern of poor sleep. DG x